Photoshop CS4 book recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenkht

Sep 21, 2008
Singapore
Anyone got any good recommendation for an instructional book on Photoshop CS4? Is the Scott Kelby one good? Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone got any good recommendation for an instructional book on Photoshop CS4? Is the Scott Kelby one good? Thanks

For a start, that book by Scott Kelby is pretty good to start with as he cover some of the stuff I miss out. Of course, after this book, you can look into essential skill etc book to improve and have more understanding on the PSing- skill :D

I like the Scott Kelby one, I am just starting with PS and find Kelby's explanations very user friendly.

Do browse Dummies for cs4 at major bookstore.

OK, maybe I should rephrase.
I have read quite a few CS4 book from the library. But what I want is something I can KEEP for good reference. Y'see everytime I returned a library book back, I bloody forgot how to do a certain function I read. OK maybe it me because I don't use the program all the time.

In the old days when I buy any software, it comes with a very comprehensive set of instruction manuals. Might not make sense at times but at least I can reference to it. Now all the software exponentially increase their price and comes with zero manual! :angry:

If you don't mind paying for on-line video tutorials, you can try LYNDA.COM. They have very good selections of instructional videos of Photoshop CS4 for Photographers. You can also order their videos on DVD, but they're not cheap...

If you don't mind paying for on-line video tutorials, you can try LYNDA.COM. They have very good selections of instructional videos of Photoshop CS4 for Photographers. You can also order their videos on DVD, but they're not cheap...

Video's no good for me. Can't be watching and doing at the same time.. well.. not for me anyway. I guess I'm looking for a "dictionary". Something quick to refer to but at the same time, comprehensive or something along the line.

lynda is really good. they have "exercise" files for u try every chapter they teach u in the tutorial. i learnt alot after watching the dvd. :)

I just borrowed this book "Photoshop CS4 for Nature Photographers" by Ellen Anon & Josh Anon. This book is rather informative but caters mainly for nature photographers.

lynda is really good. they have "exercise" files for u try every chapter they teach u in the tutorial. i learnt alot after watching the dvd. :)

I agree with you. I recommend Photoshop CS4 One-on-One Fundamentals by Deke McClelland. I learned a lot from this video.

I recommend Adobe Photoshop CS4 Studio Techniques.

But I can only speak for the CS2 version of the book since I've not read CS4 version. The author not only teaches the techniques, he also explains the rational behind them, which makes it easier to understand.

Actually for me, its the martin evening book...

He goes through everything that you want to know about PS. I got the CS3 book and I didn't find a need to get the one for CS4.

Actually for me, its the martin evening book...

He goes through everything that you want to know about PS. I got the CS3 book and I didn't find a need to get the one for CS4.

That sounds about right.

Hey, I just look through some books using google books. Now I can preview these books before buying. Very good. Looked through Martin Evening's book and it looks like what I need. Scott Kelby's not too bad, more for beginners.

OK, maybe I should rephrase.
I have read quite a few CS4 book from the library. But what I want is something I can KEEP for good reference. Y'see everytime I returned a library book back, I bloody forgot how to do a certain function I read. OK maybe it me because I don't use the program all the time.

read and try, then you will internalise it.

anyways, if they have cs4 version of this book, it was good when i read it a while back

0240519841.jpg

you can still use it i suppose, most of the framework probably has not changed

edit: i see other people have recommended it too. :)

I looked at the Martin Evening book on Google books and I like what I saw...
I'm tempted to get it too... wonder how much it costs.

I got it at lunchtime today in Funan, at ... Rice..something photography bookshop on level1 for 70plus.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.