Photoshop CS3 quality degradation from RAW (Why?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

limdj

Jan 12, 2008
Hi, found that when doing PP on RAW, the conversion from Photoshop CS3, CS2 or even CS1, the picture will degrade to very low saturation, low contrast, and the colors are very less vibrance. The picture looks very good in photoshop, but once saved, it totally degrades. Does everyone gets the same result as mine? Any experts know how to overcome it? Anyone got any advises?

The conversion is tested from:

Raw --> Jpeg
Raw --> Tiff

But jpeg to jpeg is fine Thats the amazing part.

I dont have CS1, 2 & 3, only have Elements 5.

Could it be that you saved in a "low" quality setting?

in PS CS2 or CS3, so long as u shoot in RAW, it will revert back to the base image that is captured by the sensor, without the further enhancements from the camera, ie. no further in-camera processing.

thus the RAW image is very much, a raw foto.

it is up to u urself to enhance it in PS or some other software.

in PS CS2 or CS3, so long as u shoot in RAW, it will revert back to the base image that is captured by the sensor, without the further enhancements from the camera, ie. no further in-camera processing.

thus the RAW image is very much, a raw foto.

it is up to u urself to enhance it in PS or some other software.

I see. But do you experience that the color looks very vibrant in Photoshop but just totally degrades ONLY when you save as jpeg or even tiff from the application? I used the canon original software that converts from raw to jpeg, the color stays almost as vibrance.

Thats wad i did. I open in photoshop in RAW. Colors nice, edited them. Still looks super good. Then i save as jpeg, max out the quality. Then i open saved jpeg, the quality just sucks.

I saved them all in the max quality. But still degrades. Which i have no idea why

I see. But do you experience that the color looks very vibrant in Photoshop but just totally degrades ONLY when you save as jpeg or even tiff from the application? I used the canon original software that converts from raw to jpeg, the color stays almost as vibrance.

Thats wad i did. I open in photoshop in RAW. Colors nice, edited them. Still looks super good. Then i save as jpeg, max out the quality. Then i open saved jpeg, the quality just sucks.

I saved them all in the max quality. But still degrades. Which i have no idea why

hmmm...

1st thing, my monitor is calibrated to match my printer's. so i haf no problem with getting what i see on my photoshop. thus u might want to find out more on color calibration and ur monitor and printer.

2nd thing, i dun shoot with canon so i do not know their softwares and such.

as for ur degrading in quality, do u refer mainly to the color?

to me, the surest way is to print out the fotos at the lab and check and compare with the jpgs/tiff when opened in my Photoshop.

tat is after i calibrated my monitor and color space in Photoshop to match the printer's...

hmmm... hope tat helps in anyway.

Oh ok thanks guys i can go back to check my color profile.

Because why i never think its because of color profile is because other software converts RAW to jpeg with the good quality color i wanted, vibrant. Only with photoshop will i get super low lousy color quality. Not at all vibrance.

Tested on 2 PCs also getting same lousy quality color from Photoshop

Will try that out tonight. :) :)
Using LG LCD monitor

Oh ok thanks guys i can go back to check my color profile.

Because why i never think its because of color profile is because other software converts RAW to jpeg with the good quality color i wanted, vibrant. Only with photoshop will i get super low lousy color quality. Not at all vibrance.

Tested on 2 PCs also getting same lousy quality color from Photoshop

Will try that out tonight. :) :)
Using LG LCD monitor

all the best!

Could be because photoshop is color profile aware while software like windows picture and fax viewer are not

Hello,

The key issue is softproofing. If you would like to make sure your image looks the same in Photoshop and in Windows Fax/Image viewer, change softproofing (menu->view) to 'Monitor RGB'. Otherwise Photoshop approximates your color to AdobeRGB or CYMK (default).

This also means that if you want to make sure your image looks the same in Photoshop and on your printer, you have to create a custom softproof with your printer/paper profile.

Regards
Wes

Hello,

The key issue is softproofing. If you would like to make sure your image looks the same in Photoshop and in Windows Fax/Image viewer, change softproofing (menu->view) to 'Monitor RGB'. Otherwise Photoshop approximates your color to AdobeRGB or CYMK (default).

This also means that if you want to make sure your image looks the same in Photoshop and on your printer, it's best to have a softproof made with your printer/paper profile.

Regards
Wes

Wow Wes, You had hit the correct spot. Now i can see how it is like when viewed with windows fax viewer. The next stepi have to do is to print it out and see the difference btw the monitor and the printed. Thanks alot manz..... thats really something new to me. :thumbsup: :) :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.