photoshop CS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
haywire said:
how do i make the object got color and background is black and white ah? :p

1. Make a copy layer of the image. ( The new layer should be on top )

2. Make the copy layer black and white via your fave method. ( Now the whole image appears to be b&w )

3. Select the black and white layer, use the erase brush to erase the portion of the image you wish for it to be in colour. ( The coloured layer below the black and white layer will show thru' )

Hope you can understand what I am typing about :D
This is how I usually do it, others might have better methods :)

Cheers,
MadAnt

Using a small brush with soft edges and doing it zoomed in ( 100%+++ ) on the edges helps.
Resizing it after you are done helps to hide the little errors,nooks,creeks you missed out.

Yes, it can be tedious if your subject is kind of the edgy type ;)

did you manage to do it? :) Just a suggestion, use a small brush to outline the object or person you wanna in color and then use a bigger brush to fill in the centre portion.

Cheers~

errr.. I think all these masking is quite hard to do.

One simple way of doing it is by history brush. The history brush can allow you to selectively apply effects by just brushing.

Basically you just do the effect and then undo it. Then select the history brush, and paint over the picture where you want the effect. or something like that. Go and read up on the history brush as it is VERY USEFUL

more convenient than masking.

Method 1:
The faster (non destructive) way:
1) create a saturation mask layer, desaturate everything. (2 clicks)
2) create a layer mask (1 click)
3) On the layer mask, press B(rush) and paint black the places you want colour.
3.5) Alternatively fill everything with black, and paint white the places you don't want colour.

benefits of this way is that if u paint wrongly, can just press X switch colours black and white, and paint back the parts u want colour or not. U can hide the saturation layer if it suddenly hits you to see the full colour image. And allows you to add a bit of colour back if you find that BW is tooo dull. (saturation mask is just a layer of setting, can re-edit anytime)

Trust me, learn masking.. once you learn masking, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. History brush is good, but if u notice a screw up done about 50 steps ago, you'll haf to undo everything. (which happens to me but frustration is avoided coz of using masks)

Method 2:
If it's a relatively "clean" image with distinct colours of the foreground, then u can isolate the foreground using either extract, magnetic lasso, or select using colour range.
After selection, use select=>feather, 2, so that your selected image won't be so hard edged. Then press CONTROL + J (to copy the the selected image to a new layer). Desaturate the bottom layer.

To use methods 1 or 2, depends on the complexity of your image.
if the shape is small, and easily painted, I'll go with 1.
if it's like a single unique colour shape, colour range selection will get me my guy extracted in about 5 seconds. Sometimes I'll extract the background then invert the selection.
If it's like irregular shape, with clear edge (but containing many different colours), maybe i'll consider using a magnetic lasso (along with other tools) to select and extract the irregular shape.
Sometimes, I use a combination of all 3 and more.

In photoshop, there are always more than a few ways to do the same thing. if u can't learn them all, learn just the 1 which is faster for you.

ya agreed. It is kind of hard to undo if your mask is very complicated :)

I guess masking is still MUCH better if you want more control. history brush is kind of the quick and easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.