photoshop cs2 - need HELLPPP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

with_brokenwings

Jul 6, 2006
the 15th
www.eugene.oepri.com
hey all

just recently, like 2 days ago, i found out im uable to crop on cs anymore. apparently my scratch disks are full.. ive tried increasing the memory cache, ive defrag my com and even tried having cs as the only application open.

my com ram is 256 but the com only reads 192. i think ive got dead ram. could this be the problem?

i seriously need help, asap. really appreciate it.

thanks in advance!

check your harddrives, they may be full... Or rather the hard drive which you set photoshop to use as your scratchdisk...

Go into the preferences and look around...

Hope this helps!
:)
PS: 256MBs of RAM is a bit low, might want to bump it up a little...

Havent heard of anything call dead ram. Its either working or not working.

I think the remaining 64MB of RAM goes to your integrated memory card which possibly explains you are left with 192MB of RAM. I'd suggest you to backup all your important documents and do a formatting of your HDD.

Frankly speaking, you need at least 512MB to run a Photoshop CS2 and even with 512MB, its on the slow side. I do not know how you managed to survive the slow processing with 256MB of RAM. If possible, upgrade your RAM to minimum 512MB and 1GB if possible.

Cheers

As what was mentioned before the hard drive you set as you scratch disk may be too full to cahce the changes. You can also try redicing the cache levels under the memmory and cahe setitng.

I find that working with 16bit tiff files eats up ram like no tomorrow.. I run my CS allowing it to use 50% of my RAM which gives it about 670mb... Yes you should upgrade to at least 1GB for MUCH faster processing as you dont need to contstantly swap data in and out of the HDD.

In CS2 you can allocate a few drives for your scratch disk if the current one is full, then the next allocated drive will take over.Look into preference and there are four allocated drives for you can include.
Minimum 1G of RAM is OK for DI work and if you can afford,more Gigs would be better.

hey all

just recently, like 2 days ago, i found out im uable to crop on cs anymore. apparently my scratch disks are full.. ive tried increasing the memory cache, ive defrag my com and even tried having cs as the only application open.

my com ram is 256 but the com only reads 192. i think ive got dead ram. could this be the problem?

thanks in advance!

When you crop, did u set any value to the size of the crop using the toolbar that appears above ? sometimes, the toolbar reverts to inches, so when u specify (e.g.) 3000x2000, ur trying to crop 3000 in x 2000 in, photoshop runs out of memory. u need to set it to px

all right. thanks so much for the advice. about the inches thinig, i tried chaning to px but it came out really small. haha.

anws, think i'll go upgrade to a gig la. cant take it anymore. even my itunes is laggin really bad. im effectively running on only 192mb of ram now. HAHA.

dead RAM is RAM that is broke... more RAM would be good, but don't think is the problem here... as TS said, scratch disk is full, so have to clear the space in the harddisk housing the scratch or add another hardisk for scratch...

donno if it happens on Macs but one thing about windows and photoshop: if your photoshop crashes, the scratch for that session might not be erased from the harddisk...so if it happens a few times, you're gonna have a few large files sitting there clogging up your harddisk...to check, go to where the scratch files are located and see if there are any files called "Photoshop Temp XXXXXX" (for CS2, can't remember for other versions) where the XXXXXX is a string of numbers...delete those...

also, photoshop does not access all the RAM in your system...the RAM set aside for your OS to operate is not accessed for obvious reasons...also, its best not to allocate all remaining RAM to photoshop as other programs running in parallel would not have RAM to utilize and your system would slow down...

Scratch disk is your harddisk space.

When it's full that means the temporary file that PS creates uses up the HDD space.

dead RAM is RAM that is broke... more RAM would be good, but don't think is the problem here... as TS said, scratch disk is full, so have to clear the space in the harddisk housing the scratch or add another hardisk for scratch...

donno if it happens on Macs but one thing about windows and photoshop: if your photoshop crashes, the scratch for that session might not be erased from the harddisk...so if it happens a few times, you're gonna have a few large files sitting there clogging up your harddisk...to check, go to where the scratch files are located and see if there are any files called "Photoshop Temp XXXXXX" (for CS2, can't remember for other versions) where the XXXXXX is a string of numbers...delete those...

also, photoshop does not access all the RAM in your system...the RAM set aside for your OS to operate is not accessed for obvious reasons...also, its best not to allocate all remaining RAM to photoshop as other programs running in parallel would not have RAM to utilize and your system would slow down...

thanks! i'll go search for the temp files. im on windows anyways. just using itunes cos its better i feel

hey all

thanks in advance!

Had that problem before, check your measurement unit ;)

Last time I want to crop to 1200 x 1600 pixel, had that error, at last I found that the unit in the crop field was not pixel, but cm. So for PS to enlarge to 1200 x 1600 cm, it needs a lot of memory and scratch disk. I know, the unit was small, easily overlooked ;)

You should max out your ram to at least 1gig .

Had that problem before, check your measurement unit ;)

Last time I want to crop to 1200 x 1600 pixel, had that error, at last I found that the unit in the crop field was not pixel, but cm. So for PS to enlarge to 1200 x 1600 cm, it needs a lot of memory and scratch disk. I know, the unit was small, easily overlooked ;)

haha. yup. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.