photoshop blending question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
Hi People,

I have a small question on photoshop.

Lets say I have a picture which is exposed properly for the sky/background but the subject is rather dark. I can of course duplicate the picture, pump up the brightness for the duplicate and use a mask layer to select/paint the subject so that only the subject is brightened up.

My question is that is there a "smart" blending mode in CS2 which will do this automatically, ie it will select the parts with the highest details and blend both the subject and background nicely without me having to do the selectiong/painting etc.

wind30 said:
Hi People,

Lets say I have a picture which is exposed properly for the sky/background but the subject is rather dark. I can of course duplicate the picture, pump up the brightness for the duplicate and use a mask layer to select/paint the subject so that only the subject is brightened up.

My question is that is there a "smart" blending mode in CS2 which will do this automatically, ie it will select the parts with the highest details and blend both the subject and background nicely without me having to do the selectiong/painting etc.

Hi wind30,

you try something like these, duplicate the layer, and adjust it to 'saturate', then 'invert', the layer will look like a negative now.. then choose 'overlay' in that layer mode, now the darkside will get brighter.. but it looks like some adjustment of levels or curve are still needed to make the photos looks real nice. Tell me if you have tried this method and share with me how is the results.

wind30 said:
Hi People,

Surely, if it is just a question of an underexposed main subject against a correctly exposed background, you could use the Shadow/Highlight filter (found under the normal adjustments menu) this is one of CS's selling features. It can also be applied to, for example, a duplicated background layer, and blended accordingly.

wind30 said:
Not sure if this is what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.