Photoshop 6 Files and ColorLabs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yakuza

Hi,

Was talking to the shop from ColorLabs@Adelphi (they are part of Fujifilm ePICs, hope I make sense) . They told me that using photoshop6 to crop files and than saving as JPG will cause unexpected errors when printing them out on paper.

In fact in their brochure they even state they don't accept Photoshop 6 files?! I have manipulated photos in PS6 and sent for printing w/o problems, but did not crop the photos, so I can't refute their claims.

Anybody cropped their photos in Photoshop 6 and sent it to ColorLabs for development?

Regards.

Originally posted by Yakuza
Hi,

Was talking to the shop from ColorLabs@Adelphi (they are part of Fujifilm ePICs, hope I make sense) . They told me that using photoshop6 to crop files and than saving as JPG will cause unexpected errors when printing them out on paper.

In fact in their brochure they even state they don't accept Photoshop 6 files?! I have manipulated photos in PS6 and sent for printing w/o problems, but did not crop the photos, so I can't refute their claims.

Anybody cropped their photos in Photoshop 6 and sent it to ColorLabs for development?

Regards.

Early versions of PS 6 has some incompatibility problems with the Fuji Frontier digital minilabs that all the e-pic labs used. (or is it the e-pic's software or a combination, can't remember). Read about this off dpreview.com also. It might has something to do with either colour space, or the addition of EXIF data into the file which confuses the machine - Colour Lab does not know for sure. So to cover their backside, they don't recommend PS 6 files. If it works, fine, if it doesn't, you've been warned. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Yakuza

Have heard of this problem. But I wasn't aware that Photoshop was affected. Thought it only affected certain lower-end programs like PhotoImpact and FotoCanvas.

If I'm not wrong, the problem is with the EXIF (metadata) headers. Some photo-editing programs do not update the EXIF data when saving a cropped image. So the original (uncropped) image size is still shown in the EXIF headers. The Frontier machine gets confused by this and thinks the image is bigger than it actually is.

Personally, I've been using Photoshop 6.01 and have saved a number of cropped images as JPG files for output by Frontier machines with no problems at all.

Thanks for all the insights, looks like I will stick with Soo Kee at the moment, because I don't remember their brochures have the disclaimer that says they don't allow PS6 photos. If my cropped photos really cock up than suay :( *fingers crossed*

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.