PhotoShoots - Potraits

stylomilo818

Apr 4, 2008
Singapore
i guess the fav lens for potraits would be the 105mm F2.8, lets say i attend a photoshoot with only a 50mm F1.8, will i be blocking other photographers the whole time? :dunno:

anyone experienced that before? please share~ :D

well u must understand, even if i am holding a 105mm, i wouldnt wanna stand behind if fellow photographers are all trying to catch that 1 elusive "perfect" shot from the fleeting model. and if that portrait which u r trying to shoot was asked to remain still, i am sure even with 50mm, u would get your chance.
but with greater reach like the 105mm or tamron 90, u have greater play in terms of distance from model.

i know that there is bound to be a chance to shoot, but i so if i am the only 50mm among the 100mms, i will actually be blocking everyone...

dun want to join a photoshoot and end up irritating everyone else, OR not getting a chance to shoot becos i dun wanna block people with 100mm

i have never joined any photoshoots before... what other lens are commonly used besides the 105mm and tamron 90mm?

Sometimes I join a group shoot with only 35mm. When I really need to get close, I will ask the permission of the group and the model, step in and have a a few fast snap, move away and let the rest continue.

Just be polite and till now, no one has rejected me. (Some even offer to hold the reflector for me during the close up);p

Should situation doesn't allow, shoot first and crop later.;)

i only got tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4

and never do a portraits photoshoot before..

don't know whether my lens is support for me or not if i join with a group of photography in portraits section :dunno:

and have a limited experience for portraits :bsmilie:

lol, very noobs i am ;)

it really depends on the group you are in.
I've met shooters who ignores about the rest of the shooters, and go ahead spamming his shutter away at the front.

While there are shooters who would take their shots, and move to the side and plan for their next.

Sometimes I join a group shoot with only 35mm. When I really need to get close, I will ask the permission of the group and the model, step in and have a a few fast snap, move away and let the rest continue.

Just be polite and till now, no one has rejected me. (Some even offer to hold the reflector for me during the close up);p

Should situation doesn't allow, shoot first and crop later.;)

so most of the time, you are standing behind and shooting? that's very restricting...

it really depends on the group you are in.
I've met shooters who ignores about the rest of the shooters, and go ahead spamming his shutter away at the front.

While there are shooters who would take their shots, and move to the side and plan for their next.

what do u guys do when there are shooters who dun care?

i guess the fav lens for potraits would be the 105mm F2.8, lets say i attend a photoshoot with only a 50mm F1.8, will i be blocking other photographers the whole time? :dunno:

anyone experienced that before? please share~ :D

Any lens can be portrait lens, there's no really 1 fav..
Some love the exaggerated view of a Ultrawide, some love the isolated view of telephotos.
it can easily range from 14mm to 800mm ( Ask Knpan, he used his 300-800mm Sigma for a quite recent shoot :sweat:) it really depends on the effect u trying to achieve.

And if u are shooting 50mm f1.8, i think in organized shoots, u will have ur chance to step in while others are done. I think ultimately it boils down to polietness ( u may want to ask prior to stepping in) and proper communication among the group..

The organizer will be in charge of crowd control.

Most of the time, the organizer wont be there, since normally there are more than 1 model, thus more than 1 group of photographers.

To TS,
either you let him be, or ask him to move aside when you want to take the shot.

Most of the time, the organizer wont be there, since normally there are more than 1 model, thus more than 1 group of photographers.

To TS,
either you let him be, or ask him to move aside when you want to take the shot.

Buy a heavier lens and bash him. :)

well, 1 way to be more confident of your skills and knowing that you will not block others for too long is to practise. You dont have to always book a model to practice your skills. take pic of your gf, mother, father, friend or friends brother, sister, god brother, god sister, classmate .. u get what i mean right? u will have less stress that way.;)

Any lens can be portrait lens, there's no really 1 fav..
Some love the exaggerated view of a Ultrawide, some love the isolated view of telephotos.
it can easily range from 14mm to 800mm ( Ask Knpan, he used his 300-800mm Sigma for a quite recent shoot :sweat:) it really depends on the effect u trying to achieve.

wow, 300mm he gotta be standing pretty far away! i am sure everyone else is blocking him~ haha

well, 1 way to be more confident of your skills and knowing that you will not block others for too long is to practise. You dont have to always book a model to practice your skills. take pic of your gf, mother, father, friend or friends brother, sister, god brother, god sister, classmate .. u get what i mean right? u will have less stress that way.;)

Yeap, been practicing with friends and family, hoping to join photoshoots to learn something new~