Photos taken by you, appearing in publications without your consent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sausage

Feb 1, 2002
At home
www.singaporeanimenews.net
Recently 6 photos that I had taken and placed on my website appeared in a local magazine without my permission.

I wrote to the editor and was impressed by his promptness as he called me the very next day to inform me that the article was actually contributed by another organization. He forwarded my email to them.

About 4 days later a representative from that organization called me to explain

1. the article was written a very long time ago and only submitted for publication recently.
2. they had asked around in forums for photo contributions and the photos were submitted by 'a photographer'

I'm not quite sure of their reason for bringing up point 1, but point 2 got my attention.

Now, I realize in this age of huge storage space and high-speed transfers, there's not much we can do to prevent this short of not even putting up our photos, but I'm wondering, is there any quality control practice that publishers can adopt to reduce instances of them unknowingly publishing photos that don't actually belong to the contributors?

I understand this sort of thing has happened to many people previously.. how did you handle it?

But the thing is, the contributor could just cut your watermark off, claim it as his own, and from there, how would the publication verify where it came from? They wouldn't even have a starting point until your letter of complaint comes in, right?

Anyway there's nothing I can do now, the magazine is in circulation already, so I'm just trying to see how to reduce instances of this in future.

But the thing is, the contributor could just cut your watermark off, claim it as his own, and from there, how would the publication verify where it came from? They wouldn't even have a starting point until your letter of complaint comes in, right?

Anyway there's nothing I can do now, the magazine is in circulation already, so I'm just trying to see how to reduce instances of this in future.

thats not your problem to consider rite...

Its between the contributor and the publisher...

Now your problem is with the publisher publishing your image without consent, and you should get your rights back...

if you only upload low res version, the quality of the photos are so poor that can't use for press printing.

anyway, you have a high res or raw files, should ask compensation from the so call "contributor", to fund your D3 camera plus the two new lens.

if you only upload low res version, the quality of the photos are so poor that can't use for press printing.

anyway, you have a high res or raw files, should ask compensation from the so call "contributor", to fund your D3 camera plus the two new lens.

ya, 600 width for landscape 550 height for portrait

see who want to take

Recently 6 photos that I had taken and placed on my website appeared in a local magazine without my permission.

I wrote to the editor and was impressed by his promptness as he called me the very next day to inform me that the article was actually contributed by another organization. He forwarded my email to them.

About 4 days later a representative from that organization called me to explain

1. the article was written a very long time ago and only submitted for publication recently.
2. they had asked around in forums for photo contributions and the photos were submitted by 'a photographer'

I'm not quite sure of their reason for bringing up point 1, but point 2 got my attention.

Now, I realize in this age of huge storage space and high-speed transfers, there's not much we can do to prevent this short of not even putting up our photos, but I'm wondering, is there any quality control practice that publishers can adopt to reduce instances of them unknowingly publishing photos that don't actually belong to the contributors?

I understand this sort of thing has happened to many people previously.. how did you handle it?

u may call up a lawyer !

I guess can make money from this lawsuit ! but make sure u had the original photos saved and backups...

you can write a letter of demand

dun need to write on your own, ask a lawyer to write ! confirm make money from this case... i think that magazine or book publisher is going to burn a deep hole in their pockets.

when they saw this thing going tough against them, they may even paid a lump sum to buy your photos and beg u to drop charges.

:think:

... and one more thing, they longer they wait to compensate u will mean a bigger loss of your income, and u can even asked for bigger amount of compensation if it drags and drags...

This is your ownership and property rights ! u must defend it asap, if not it show that you don't own the photos at all and next time your fellow photographers or future clients may not respect your profession.

dun need to write on your own, ask a lawyer to write ! confirm make money from this case... i think that magazine or book publisher is going to burn a deep hole in their pockets.

when they saw this thing going tough against them, they may even paid a lump sum to buy your photos and beg u to drop charges.

wah lao...letter of demand is NOT useful at all...they simply going to throw it away...

get it to the writ of summon stage...then that is diff...they will not ignore it already...

Status
Not open for further replies.