Photos taken by Pentax cameras for tech. discussion - Season VII

ranchy

Jan 11, 2010
What time do they open and is tripod use allowed?
Erm.. not sure if tripod is allowed as I went in without one. But no one seem to bother or inside while i was taking images.

Opening hours: 9:30AM–7PM (630pm last entry)

Try to buy tickets through here or with their app, it's so much cheaper than you buy at Sentosa.

ranchy

Jan 11, 2010
Can try Monday? I went on a Friday and the last day of the sakura display.
ah.. okay.. but i wanted to see the sakura display. anyway, it's over :)

otc

Feb 8, 2006
www.flickr.com
Erm.. not sure if tripod is allowed as I went in without one. But no one seem to bother or inside while i was taking images.

Opening hours: 9:30AM–7PM (630pm last entry)

Try to buy tickets through here or with their app, it's so much cheaper than you buy at Sentosa.

Great info, Ranchy.:thumbsup:

Go weekday better, cos weekend has some crowd. weekdays may have students touring sometimes. But diffetent time as different species of butterfly coming in. Easier to capture than on the field outside.

otc

Last edited:

otc

Feb 8, 2006
www.flickr.com
K1 + 100WR

Macro finally... Was hoping to have more variety of butterflies there.. but abit disappointed. maybe my timing was not right or all of them were hiding and flying high...
nice la.

This shot is worth more than $9 bucks right..;);)

otc

ranchy

Jan 11, 2010
Great info, Ranchy.:thumbsup:

Go weekday better, cos weekend has some crowd. weekdays may have students touring sometimes. But diffetent time as different species of butterfly coming in. Easier to capture than on the field outside.

otc
nice la.

This shot is worth more than $9 bucks right..;);)

otc
Ah so different timing would have different butterflies.. hmm....... i went was around 1pm and it rained.. zz.z no wonder. :p

ok lah. lucky i can get a few shots, maybe i was expecting lots to take! lolx

one more ...

moronfans

Feb 10, 2012
Nice series.
I like this one the most. :)
Well done!!! as usual, nice work. Sorry can't make it in the end. :p

Hi Chris,

Good to see your pictures, as usual your models brings a breath of fresh air and energy to the guys here . :)

Need to learn from you especially with regards to using the fisheye lens. Well done.
Thanks guys for the encouragement. Still learning how to use the Fisheye for more exaggerated result.

Below are a few shots taken from previous series:

IMGP7145 by Chris Chen, on Flickr

IMGP7594 by Chris Chen, on Flickr

IMGP6955 by Chris Chen, on Flickr

ranchy

Jan 11, 2010
Thanks guys for the encouragement. Still learning how to use the Fisheye for more exaggerated result.

Nice!! you are really good with wide angle lens or fish eye. I can't seem to get the feel with wide angle lens.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007

IMGP6955 by Chris Chen, on Flickr
Sexy model and a good eye for using a fisheye for the shot.
Very nice!

I've read that for people shots and a wide field of view, a fisheye actually does better than a rectilinear lens as the corrections in the latter stretches/pulls the human subject too much for lenses under 20mm.

maverickh

Mar 22, 2009

IMGP7145 by Chris Chen, on Flickr

This particular area at the shopping area at MBS is very good for using fisheye lens. :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

moronfans

Feb 10, 2012
Sexy model and a good eye for using a fisheye for the shot.
Very nice!

I've read that for people shots and a wide field of view, a fisheye actually does better than a rectilinear lens as the corrections in the latter stretches/pulls the human subject too much for lenses under 20mm.
For anything under 20mm, the distortion will actually pull the legs of the human subject longer. However in order to do that, most of the time the human subject have to be dead center. If you shoot one third, the human subject will get too distorted. For fisheye if you shoot a bit diagonal or slight off central with the correct angle, distortion of the human subject can still be tolerated to a certain degree.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
For anything under 20mm, the distortion will actually pull the legs of the human subject longer. However in order to do that, most of the time the human subject have to be dead center. If you shoot one third, the human subject will get too distorted. For fisheye if you shoot a bit diagonal or slight off central with the correct angle, distortion of the human subject can still be tolerated to a certain degree.
Indeed! and you certainly have observed and used this well.

Last edited:

chipvn

Aug 26, 2010
Want to share with you one special lens from Ricoh: The Ricoh GR Lens 28/2.8 that Ricoh took from the original Ricoh GR1 film compact camera and put on the full metal body and under Leica M39 mount. I really love the way this lens render colors and hightlight. It also showing zero distortion even on full frame camera.

This is the lens vs my old FA31/1.8:

This is how it mount on the Rangefinder camera

This is the above combo render colors through the airplane window

This is how it rendered colors on the Ricoh GXR M mount module:

This is how it controlled distortion and out-resolved the resolution of the 42Mp sensor:

felixcat8888

May 8, 2005
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Want to share with you one special lens from Ricoh: The Ricoh GR Lens 28/2.8 that Ricoh took from the original Ricoh GR1 film compact camera and put on the full metal body and under Leica M39 mount. I really love the way this lens render colors and hightlight. It also showing zero distortion even on full frame camera.

This is the lens vs my old FA31/1.8:

This is how it mount on the Rangefinder camera

This is the above combo render colors through the airplane window

This is how it rendered colors on the Ricoh GXR M mount module:

This is how it controlled distortion and out-resolved the resolution of the 42Mp sensor:

Nice!

chipvn

Aug 26, 2010
It's been almost 0.5 year since the last time I took my FA100/2.8 and flash out for macro hunting ...

This is the result from this morning for sharing ...

FA100/2.8 Macro​

Last edited:

otc

Feb 8, 2006
www.flickr.com
It's been almost 5 years since the last time I took my FA100/2.8 and flash out for macro hunting ...

This is the result from this morning for sharing ...

FA100/2.8 Macro​
NICE.;)

Still have that magical touch right.:cool:

otc