Photos taken by my cam is 3:2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I came across threads which discussed why photos taken by digital cameras are cropped in the printing lab. The reason is most digital camera will produce pics of size 4:3 while the printout size is always 3:2.

This is weird, when i open my photos taken by 300D in PhotoShop 7.0, their image size is 3072 by 2048. If u do a calculation, isn't the ratio 3:2?

If that's the case, does it means that if i send my pics for printing, the pics will not be cropped?

On a side track: There are two ways of developing a photos by a DC right? One is the cropped version. The second version is with white borders but it'll be totally uncropped?

It depends on the print size.

for example

If you are printing 4 x 6 prints then there is no crop (aspect ratio is 3:2)

for other print sizes, there will be cropping
6 x 8 prints (aspect ration 3:4)
8 x 10 prints (aspect ratio 4:5)

gooseberry said:
It depends on the print size.

for example

If you are printing 4 x 6 prints then there is no crop (aspect ratio is 3:2)

for other print sizes, there will be cropping
6 x 8 prints (aspect ration 3:4)
8 x 10 prints (aspect ratio 4:5)

OOOOh....thanks manz!
4 x 6 is 4R right?

ordinaryless said:
Hi all,

I came across threads which discussed why photos taken by digital cameras are cropped in the printing lab. The reason is most digital camera will produce pics of size 4:3 while the printout size is always 3:2.

This is weird, when i open my photos taken by 300D in PhotoShop 7.0, their image size is 3072 by 2048. If u do a calculation, isn't the ratio 3:2?

If that's the case, does it means that if i send my pics for printing, the pics will not be cropped?

On a side track: There are two ways of developing a photos by a DC right? One is the cropped version. The second version is with white borders but it'll be totally uncropped?
DSLRs have their ratio in 3:2

ordinaryless said:
Niv:Oh ok, so its the consumer camera like my previous A60 that ratio is in 4:3 yeah? thanks for telling!

Likefunyouare: Thanks ;)
Yups. Most of the consumers/prosumers have their ratio set to 4:3 but some Sony cams do have the option to set it to 3:2.

:)

ordinaryless said:
Hi all,

on the DSLR, the ratio follows the 135 film format, which is 3:2

on most compact cams, the ratio follows most computer screen which is 4:3

hope it offers light to your question.

If using Nikon CP5xxx, u can set to 3:2 as well.

Belle&Sebastain said:
on the DSLR, the ratio follows the 135 film format, which is 3:2

on most compact cams, the ratio follows most computer screen which is 4:3

hope it offers light to your question.

Actually I was walking around suntec city and saw some photo developing shops that actually have photo printouts for 4:3 ratio. I only remember there is one outside Cafe Cartel on first floor and some others on the upper floors. Wasnt really paying attention dat day. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.