Status
Not open for further replies.

LazerLordz

Sep 8, 2004
near the Equator
Photos show 'death' of Japanese man in Burma

By Matthew Moore
Last Updated: 1:14pm BST 27/09/2007

These extraordinary pictures from Rangoon, the Burmese capital, appear to show the death of a Japanese photographer during the regime's crackdown against pro-democracy protesters.
The first image shows a prone photographer - apparently injured - taking pictures of fleeing protesters as government troops approach.
wburma600a.jpg

A soldier stands over him, pointing a gun at his chest.
In the second image, apparently taken just moments later, the photographer lies
flat on the floor, his mouth contorted in pain. The soldier has moved on.

wburma600b.jpg

The Japanese Embassy in Rangoon later announced it had been informed of the death of one of its citizens. Officials were heading to a hospital to confirm the report.

wburma600c.jpg

According to NHK, Japan's public broadcaster, the dead photographer had been hit by "stray bullets".
The military have fired into sections of the crowd in the city with semi-automatic weapons to disperse the demonstrations.
Troops who cleared the streets of central Rangoon told protesters they had 10 minutes to go home or be shot. Many who fled left their bloodied sandals behind.

wburma600d.jpg

At one monastery shots were fired in the air and tear gas was used against a crowd of about 1,500 supporters.

Link

-------------

RIP. It's always a risk to take the photos to tell the story to the world.

really sad.....condolenses to his family and friends..
pathetic govt. trying to hide dirty laundry.....and a photographer paid the price...
sighz

salute to such front line photogs

after seeing this again, i was thinking why had they reported the photog was hit by "stray bullet" when the photog of this incident could have testified the truth being there and shooting these pictures.

i really dont feel good looking at those pictures, so heartwrenching

after seeing this again, i was thinking why had they reported the photog was hit by "stray bullet" when the photog of this incident could have testified the truth being there and shooting these pictures.

i really dont feel good looking at those pictures, so heartwrenching

Question is, who's to tell the truth now?

Any chance of an autopsy done in a neutral country to determine the death? At close range of less than 1-2 meters, there should be some power burns on the cloths and the wound...

ERm so why is the word "death" in quotation marks?

Question is, who's to tell the truth now?

Any chance of an autopsy done in a neutral country to determine the death? At close range of less than 1-2 meters, there should be some power burns on the cloths and the wound...

there should be more than meet the eye, i mean, he doesn't really look though the contorted mouth can't be seen clearly here. the blood not yet flowed. anyway its really tragic, better not to talk about his death :(

Very sad. This country need a regime change.

i think its still by his body, the right side

More like on his left... just behind his head. You can still see the neckstrap there.

Peace Keepers or Terrorist?

What kind of military is this..wearing slippers in a call of duty???:confused::angry:

People of power fear nothing except losing their power.

These things have happened to all nations at one point or another. Perhaps we should rejoice instead that perhaps this would be a catalyst to turning burmese history towards a more peaceful future.

If his photographs end up in the media and opens the world's eyes, maybe he died a martyr instead.

eh... the soldier just came from home izit? how come wearing slippers ah? the army got no budget for combat boots izit?

anyway, did the soldier actually shot the photographer to put him out of his misery?

we need video footage to confirm what happened. still photos do not tell the whole picture.

Yap, not really very clear pics. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.