Photos of India - Calcutta, Darjeeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumen

Jan 9, 2004
Hi all, I just came back from India a week ago. Finally have the chance to upload some of the photos I took... :)

Here's a boy peddling his wares in the New Market:
PICT0386.jpg

Calcutta is the last place on earth to have chinese rickshaw pullers
PICT0390.jpg

Workers tarring the road by hand:
PICT0031.jpg

Sooo many hand bangles:
PICT0319.jpg

Howrah Bridge in Calcutta
PICT0278.jpg

People flocking to see the Eastern Himalayas in the sunrise:
PICT0162.jpg

Felllow sun-watchers in Tiger Hill... waiting for the sun to cast its glow on the Himalayas:
PICT0169.jpg

The Himalayas:
PICT0196.jpg

A family admiring Kanchenjunga, Eastern Himalayas
PICT0213.jpg

dzulhjdzaid said:
People flocking to see the Eastern Himalayas in the sunrise:
PICT0162.jpg
amazing pic... :thumbsup: so much colour... :bigeyes:[/QUOTE]
yes, i 2nd that. best photo of all. :thumbsup:
dude, really amazing photos you have.

thanks guys for the encouragement... will post more photos soon :)

The rickshaw shot has a nice sense of motion. :thumbsup:

nice series.. :thumbsup:

Beautiful series!! Well done!! :thumbsup:

Wish this one has more details in the people, lost in the shadow.

PICT0162.jpg

Here are a few more pics:

A high altitude soccer field, with the Himalayas in the background:
PICT0307.jpg

Some ladies washing their clothes. (This is in Sunderban, not Calcutta or Darjeeling)
PICT0122.jpg

Some breakfast I ate... my Indian fren told me that we can break the cup after we drank from it (equivalent of our disposable cup(??)). I dunno whether she's kidding me or not. Anyway the round white thingy (looks like fishball) is a dessert. My indian fren tot our fishballs were desserts when he came to Singapore!!:
PICT0056.jpg

i think i better stop posting so many photos ;p ok my last set:

my wife took this photo!! this is from the B777-200 SIA plane we took to Calcutta. I requested for seats on the left side of the plane cos I figured that'll be the place to capture a nice sunset with the wings

PICT0018.jpg

ok this is more for 'educational' purpose than to showcase my photography ;p... i've never seen such an overcrowded boat before!!

PICT0080.jpg

here passengers lend their hand in pushing their boat out so they can set off faster (sorry about the pole on the left... too careless in taking this photo):

PICT0073.jpg

wow.. its simply great!!!!!!!!!! your colour very vivid.. how u do it? good sunlight all day?

I'm speechless :-o

er, twilo... there's a four letter word to describe me --> lazy ... so i haven't uploaded more photos (other than the ones you see here) to my pBase site. i'm actually the kinda guy who, after taking photos, just pass the CF card to the photo processing fella and develop my photos for me ;p i'll try to get out of this bad habit and show ya more photos :)

yamcake: i pushed the saturation in my camera to the limit, so possibly creating the colors you see here.. yup good sunlight also plays a part i guess :)

thanks cookies for your encouragement :)

simply stunning !
more more more please !

Hi Lumen,

Excellent series of photographs... very vibrant, with good human interest. Loved shot #2 very much (why is that guy touching his nose ??? :) .. the aire too smelly I guess... just kidding)

I was to go to Sikkim late last year but cancelled the trip at last minute. Your pix are making me regret my decision :bsmilie:

Thanks for sharing.

Warmest Regards, Eric

MountainMan said:
Hi Lumen,

Excellent series of photographs... very vibrant, with good human interest. Loved shot #2 very much (why is that guy touching his nose ??? :) .. the aire too smelly I guess... just kidding)

I was to go to Sikkim late last year but cancelled the trip at last minute. Your pix are making me regret my decision :bsmilie:

Thanks for sharing.

Warmest Regards, Eric

hey eric... i have to say this again: you live up to your nick! :) sikkim is lovely... i actually didn't stay too long there :cry: believe it or not, i only spent a night in darjeeling and had to rush off cos suddenly all my transport alternatives back to calcutta were full and i was getting bumped off. had to rush down the mountains and catch a train back else i wld be stuck up in the mountains for some time... anyway really wished i had stayed longer there sigh...

ok anyway i'll post a few more photos... many ppl have mistaken notions about india (i was given so many horror stories before i went!), so hopefully some photos will make ya guys wanna consider going to india one day :)

here's a guy fishing in tiger terrority in Sunderban. i guess it's kinda risky cos a tiger might just come out:
PICT0154.jpg

my wife and i were very tired looking for the elusive bengal tiger in Sunderban so we went back to our camp. i sat there in my room and stoned at the window (fortunately with my camera). so i got a shot of this villager who was walking past us with the rice fields in the background:
PICT0115.jpg

now if ya have gone to india, you wouldn't forget these vintage looking cars: the 'ambassadors'!... you have probably seen one of them in the peugeot ad shown last yr where this indian fella was trying to shape his ambassador car into a peugeot. i'm sitting in one of these cars when i took this photo... man, these cars feel sturdy:
PICT0369.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.