Photos leeched, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysania

May 11, 2003
Singapore
angelapple.multiply.com
Currently I am running a small online business, selling ring pillows. I received an email from a customer that there is another person, who claims to be a wedding planner, selling the same ring pillows. She gave me the link to her product gallery, and the photos are exactly the same as mine! She did try to modify one photo where the embriodery of initials on the ring pillow is seen clearer. The customer says that she is charging a much higher price than me.
What can I do about this leeching of photos? Can I take any legal action against her? My online business is basically a hobby so it is just small scale and personal... but someone copying my photos on her website is :angry: :nono:

Try watermarking the images bright and large, alternatively if you own the original images (including the full res ones) you might want to settle it amicably by sending email to the offending site and ask them to remove it.

Depending on how they choose to react to your email, then you react accordingly.

espn said:
Try watermarking the images bright and large, alternatively if you own the original images (including the full res ones) you might want to settle it amicably by sending email to the offending site and ask them to remove it.

Depending on how they choose to react to your email, then you react accordingly.

I tried that before but was just ignored. ;(

Crysania said:
Can I take any legal action against her? My online business is basically a hobby so it is just small scale and personal... but someone copying my photos on her website is :angry: :nono:

Yes, You can sue her.

You can sue for for breech of copyrights. You are able to do it as long as you are able to prove that you own the original pictures.

Check your PM.

You can also inform the homepage host, treatening to sue them also unless they remove the page.......

I encounter the same thing before, want to sell some stuff online at yahoo, took many pictures and provides a lot of useful info for bidders.

Then someone copy my ads WORD FOR WORD and use my PHOTOS too! Worse still, his price was lower than me so in the end everyone bid for his set... :complain:

Legally you own the rights... sue them and make them print a public apology on the local ad about breaching copyrights... :thumbsup:

Make sure u take screen captures of the site with all pix show (thumbnail size) as well as the ones with the pictures enlarged.

Dear all,
Thanks for your advise.
I have emailed the person involved, but till now, have received no response from her.
What should I do?

is there a URL to their site?

seek out a contact number, CALL the person. if you are not pro-active, the other party can just shrug off your email.

complain to channel U and straits times...may backfire thou :think:

u can bring up legal charges against the person since 1)he is using your photos (pity u didn't copyright and watermark it.more importantly, that person is using it for commerical purposes. try to settle outside and ask for some compensation. :)

The only contact I have is the person's email address and that link to her photo gallery. So I don't have another way to contact the person.

Anyway I have thought of an idea to "protect" my future photos. Will be taking new photos and doing a new website.

Crysania said:
The only contact I have is the person's email address and that link to her photo gallery. So I don't have another way to contact the person.

Anyway I have thought of an idea to "protect" my future photos. Will be taking new photos and doing a new website.

Be a *******, next time, the picture you took, at the edge of the product, using very similar colour, type in "copyrighted by xxx" .

Then when some other people used your picture, you found it, check for the "copyrighted by xxx" if still there, sue !!!! with that as perfect evidence :).

yes. by putting copyright sign, you have sth to present when it comes to legal charges. if not the person can just say she dunno anything abt your copyright thing. u put liao, she remove it, you can say she knew it and purposely do it. haha

and of course, just include that singapore is part of the signees for the berne convention, all works are automatically protected legally speaking. ignorance doesn't mean someone can just do it anyway.

Crysania said:

What you can do is to ask your friend/relative to arrange a meeting with the person to "buy" the pillow from that person(not refered to as "her"). Then try to get another form of contact from her. Just like a usual Buy & Sell on CS, exchange phone number, name, & so on.

Then with her phone number, she more or less cannot run away already. Type out a letter that looks like a "lawyer letter", give it to her when u meet her. (Get a friend along too to witness.) Then give her some days to settle with you.

If you're not contacted by then, Hmmm.... Someone advice what's next?

How exactly can we find the watermark?

Anyone know the script to prevent others from right clicking and saving the picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.