Photos displayed on Windows OS and Mac OS

lightning

Sep 2, 2004
Punggol
victor.shutterbug.sg
Not sure if anyone out there can answer this question or have this experience.

I am wondering if anyone of you out there have view the same photos on the iMAC 27" screen using the windows OS and MAC OS. Somehow my image on the MAC OS appears to be sharper as compared to the Windows OS. I am talking about the same image using the Same hardware, but appears slightly different. Even the latest Graphics driver on the Windows OS does not yield the same result.

tried with the same software?

ur imac has a glossy screen..maybe thats why

Not sure if anyone out there can answer this question or have this experience.

I am wondering if anyone of you out there have view the same photos on the iMAC 27" screen using the windows OS and MAC OS. Somehow my image on the MAC OS appears to be sharper as compared to the Windows OS. I am talking about the same image using the Same hardware, but appears slightly different. Even the latest Graphics driver on the Windows OS does not yield the same result.

u're refering to viewing the photo in OSX and Win OS on the same machine?

I suppose you are dual-booting mac and windows on your imac?
the color management system on mac and windows is slightly different. thus that could be the cause of the mismatch colors, since the screen is the same, it is taken out of the equation.

I understand that the IMac 27.5" screen has a higher resolution (even high than the IMac 21.5" screen). Think that's why the picture is much better.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand that the IMac 27.5" screen has a higher resolution (even high than the IMac 21.5" screen). Think that's why the picture is much better.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

he is using the same imac 27 to view from both OS.
what's the link with the resolution comparision with the imac 21?

Oops... sorry. Didn't read it properly.;p

the color management system on mac and windows is slightly different. thus that could be the cause of the mismatch colors, since the screen is the same, it is taken out of the equation.

:thumbsup: Agreed.

I believe Lightning only mentioned that the picture appears sharper with the OSX using the same hardware and photo. Perhaps this is why graphic artists and advertising agencies were using Mac all the while??

Yes you are right.

ur imac has a glossy screen..maybe thats why

I am view the image from the same screen...

I believe Lightning only mentioned that the picture appears sharper with the OSX using the same hardware and photo. Perhaps this is why graphic artists and advertising agencies were using Mac all the while??

I am wondering of any other people experienced the same thing as me. Really want to find out what is the real reason behind this observation.

Simple.

No self-respecting PC user uses the stock values as provided by AMD or NVIDIA in their driver setup.

Unlike OS X which spoonfeeds users by already ensuring that the default values are usable, on Windows you are pretty much expected to find your own sweet spot by tweaking Catalyst or ForceWare until you can get the results you want. This is also what happens in Linux if the proprietary AMD or NVIDIA drivers are installed: you get a usable display, but you are expected to do your own personal modifications to the driver settings in order to get the kind of results that will be satisfactory to your needs.

Last edited:
Will color management affect image sharpness? That is also something I am wondering too.

hmm, sometimes when you view images with different color tones and contrast, the eyes tend to be tricked into seeing that the most contrasty images are sharper though.

but either way, the problem should lie with how the OS is implemented to project the image to you.

Simple.

No self-respecting PC user uses the stock values as provided by AMD or NVIDIA in their driver setup.

Unlike OS X which spoonfeeds users by already ensuring that the default values are usable, on Windows you are pretty much expected to find your own sweet spot by tweaking Catalyst or ForceWare until you can get the results you want. This is also what happens in Linux if the proprietary AMD or NVIDIA drivers are installed: you get a usable display, but you are expected to do your own personal modifications to the driver settings in order to get the kind of results that will be satisfactory to your needs.

Do you have examples of how windows drivers settings can be modified? iMac uses AMD(ATI) drivers. Which parameters in catalyst should be tweak?

Do you have examples of how windows drivers settings can be modified? iMac uses AMD(ATI) drivers. Which parameters in catalyst should be tweak?

That's where calibration tools come in.
On Macs you seldom calibrate especially IPS panels.
Come back to us once your calibration is done and let us in on the result ;)

That's where calibration tools come in.
On Macs you seldom calibrate especially IPS panels.
Come back to us once your calibration is done and let us in on the result ;)

Actually both OS screen has been calibrated by Spyder already. Both color and tones on both OS are the same, even when printed. Except for sharpness every thing else looks the same. Will be calibrating using x-rite colormunki soon, hope that solve the issue. I read that Spyder is a crap calibration tool.

Last edited:
Perhaps anti-aliasing differs in DPP on OSX versus the windows version of DPP? Have not used DPP but does DPP do any anti-aliasing? Does DPP have any auto sharpening turned on by default?

Last edited:
2evans said:
Perhaps anti-aliasing differs in DPP on OSX versus the windows version of DPP? Have not used DPP but does DPP do any anti-aliasing? Does DPP have any auto sharpening turned on by default?

good point. Try opening the same image in another software (like GIMP) to test this out. One other possibility (but not so likely) is that the Mac and Windows drivers are different.