Photos Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cqprime

Dec 8, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
How do u guys backup the photos u took? On a external HDD or DVD-R ?

I am considering getting a External HDD 500GB....which brand is good and which shop is selling cheap

both solutions since pretty good and cheap.

a7804916.jpg

Now using the above 3 units. Seagate did not last. Planning to try Buffalo the coming IT fair.

for dvdr, i recommend TYG01.

How do u guys backup the photos u took? On a external HDD or DVD-R ?

I am considering getting a External HDD 500GB....which brand is good and which shop is selling cheap

Well i usually keep in an EXternal HD..
However, it's always better if you back up at BOTH !
If HD crashes or get attacked by viruses,
u still have your DVD-R backup.. :D
Sometimes for important events, i backed up in both External HD and DVD-R.
and sometimes in my local disk drive too.
So total 3 storage back up..

And yes.. I am that KIASU! cause ive experienced something disastrous which i shall not get into details on, so ya.. PLAYING SAFE from now on.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well i usually keep in an EXternal HD..
However, it's always better if you back up at BOTH !
If HD crashes or get attacked by viruses,
u still have your DVD-R backup.. :D
Sometimes for important events, i backed up in both External HD and DVD-R.
and sometimes in my local disk drive too.
So total 3 storage back up..

And yes.. I am that KIASU! cause ive experienced something disastrous which i shall not get into details on, so ya.. PLAYING SAFE from now on.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

just curious what format do you backup in?

just curious what format do you backup in?

What do you mean what format?
I save all originals in all 3 areas..
in External hdd, in local hd, and DvD-R.
Usually its all RAW files (originals) in the hard disks.
And after editing and post processing, i burned the DVD-R with the edited pics and
converted JPEG files of originals.

Have my pix catalogued. JPEGs in Photoshop Elements. RAWs in Lightroom.
Back up the catalogues to external hard disk drive (USB) and into a NAS.
Most of my photos I like and have edited, I upload to my flickr pro account.

I think that's more than enough.

:Later,

Seagate did not last. Planning to try Buffalo the coming IT fair.

for dvdr, i recommend TYG01.

Hmm, you mean Maxtor (seagate)? Thought they give 5 years warranty? Thought seagate is one of the good brands?

I download my pictures to an external hard drive. It's easier to fish some pictures out.

Hmm, you mean Maxtor (seagate)? Thought they give 5 years warranty? Thought seagate is one of the good brands?
Typical "Your mileage might vary" scenario. Some are happy with Seagate (or any other brand). Some otherwise. I've got like 4 Seagates and 3 WDs in my setup and no issue thus far (fingers crossed).

Yes. 5 years warranty for Seagate. Same goes for Western Digital.

:Later,

I am the typical guy who never switches off the home computer as i may need data at school so i use remote connection. Basically what it means is that the external hdds are on for very very long periods of time at one go and some more no air con. Its just that the Seagate freeagent did not last. I am thinking its due to the casing design as the casing got quite warm in room temperature.

Seagate is a good brand but the products "mileage varies" from user to user. Maybe they will come out another external hdd design but till then i think safer to get other brands of external hdd to spread out the damage just in case..

in the pic, the Maxtor is connected using firewire with the Freecom connected using esata and the elements is connected using usb.

What do you mean what format?
I save all originals in all 3 areas..
in External hdd, in local hd, and DvD-R.
Usually its all RAW files (originals) in the hard disks.
And after editing and post processing, i burned the DVD-R with the edited pics and
converted JPEG files of originals.

yup i meant the format of the pictures. was tinking backing up raw into 3 storage is quite ex. jpeg at least dun eat so much space.

Photos are stored on my notebook. They are backup to 2 external portable harddisks.

My files r on desktop Raid1 (2HD) and NAS Raid1 (2HD)... total 4HD and yearly backup onto DVD. Memories lost r not recoverable.

HD are not very reliable nowadays.

Anyone using the WD Mybook Mirror? Is it reliable & fast enough to be used as a main storage HD? Thinking of getting it & connect to a USB switch to share between 2 PCs... It shud work rite?

I store them both on external hard drive and online on Smugmug. Double protection haha

I stored mine on a NAS using 5.25" SATA HDD, formatted using Linux ext2 file system. Then I backup on another 5.25" SATA USB HDD, formatted using Fat32. I am thinking of backing up on another 3.5" SATA USB HDD.

I have to emphasized that I do not use those off the shelf external HDD but the OEM type. Why? If the usb enclosure fails, you can easily get a replacement enclosure and swap the HDD over.

I also do not use raid controller devices because if the raid controller fails, you have to find the exact type of raid controller before you can read your HDD. I use SATA as it is now the de facto standard in PCs so I can plug my HDD into any PC and be able to read it.

I formatted my external backup using Fat32 because this file system is the most compatible. You can port it to another type of OS and still read the data.

The reason why i am thinking of backing up to another 3.5" HDD is because if there is no external power source, the 3.5" HDD just requires 5V from the usb ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.