Photon Studio Lighting - any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satch

May 1, 2004
Living out of the suitcase...
Thinking of buying this brand called Photon from Orient Photo - it's a basic indoor studio lighting kit consisting of 3 x 200W lights, stands, soft boxes, reflectors etc. Anyone has heard of this brand before? It's basically a China-brand, made in China I believe.

Also, the "home studio" that I'm planning is going to be about 7m x 4m, are the 3x200W lights enough? Or do I really need those > 500W big boys?

Hope to get some tips from those studio gurus out there :)

Thinking of buying this brand called Photon from Orient Photo - it's a basic indoor studio lighting kit consisting of 3 x 200W lights, stands, soft boxes, reflectors etc. Anyone has heard of this brand before? It's basically a China-brand, made in China I believe.

Also, the "home studio" that I'm planning is going to be about 7m x 4m, are the 3x200W lights enough? Or do I really need those > 500W big boys?

The three 200w strobes should work fine with your current studio dimension. 500W is overkill.

I feel that any "made in China" strobes should be reasonably good enough, regardless of brand name.

The three 200w strobes should work fine with your current studio dimension. 500W is overkill.

I feel that any "made in China" strobes should be reasonably good enough, regardless of brand name.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Just a bit worried about reliability & also ease of repair/maintenance in the future. Price is very attractive though :)

May I know how much is the kit?

I was actually down today at Orient Photo taking a look. Browsed through their catalogues as well. It seems pretty decent. They have quite a number of photographer using it. Though most of them were asian photographers, i.e. China, Taiwan, HK etc, (not necessarily lower grade), think the images produced were good.

My only concern is about the reliability. Not too sure how long they will hold up, and what sort of consistency it will produce. Nevertheless, they are in at a bargain pricing. Was told that they're better than Jinbei, though its just one person's opinion. Pricing are very much close or same with Jinbei.

For a portable kit, that includes one head (600w), one battery, a reflector, hardcase rolling, cables - Total came in about 700 if i didn't remember wrongly. To get a softbox is just a wee bit more top up.

I was actually down today at Orient Photo taking a look. Browsed through their catalogues as well. It seems pretty decent. They have quite a number of photographer using it. Though most of them were asian photographers, i.e. China, Taiwan, HK etc, (not necessarily lower grade), think the images produced were good.

My only concern is about the reliability. Not too sure how long they will hold up, and what sort of consistency it will produce. Nevertheless, they are in at a bargain pricing. Was told that they're better than Jinbei, though its just one person's opinion. Pricing are very much close or same with Jinbei.

For a portable kit, that includes one head (600w), one battery, a reflector, hardcase rolling, cables - Total came in about 700 if i didn't remember wrongly. To get a softbox is just a wee bit more top up.

THanks for the input bro! You're right about the reliability & consistency. Pricing-wise, it's $650 vs $430 for a slightly lower out-put (3x180W) Jinbei Delicacy 180.

Do you think that 3x200W or 3x180W is sufficient for full body shots in a space of 4.5M x 3M?

I think it should be fine. Though the 3 head kit does not give you the option to be battery operated. Hence, leaving the studio will be difficult, like shooting outdoors etc.

My only gripe is that the accessories for Photon seems a little limited. Am interested in the one that looks like a Gun Head. 600w. That model seems to me like you only have the option of using a softbox thats all. No additional reflectors etc that can be added.

Will probably be making another trip down to Orient this week or next to understand the products better. Though a thing to note, China pricing is quite a fair bit cheaper! Though you got to lugg everything back!

u should consider on bulb replacement and servicing if there is a problem

true, but will other China brands like Jinbei be better?

I guess the maintenance issue should be a key factor as well.

true, but will other China brands like Jinbei be better?

I guess the maintenance issue should be a key factor as well.

Some Jinbei strobes use Bowen Esprit compatible parts. Their flash tube and modeling lamp are interchangeable.

I guess thats an added advantage. Jinbei seems to provide a much wider range of products while Photon seems to focus much more on continuous lighting instead of Flashes. Also, accessories are more limited on Photon.

Photon do have quite a wide range of photographers who use their products. Check out their website at www.199u2.com for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.