Photomatix Pro Review

Do you like HDR Photography?

Results are only viewable after voting.

robinlow88

Jan 3, 2011
Boston
Version:
Photomatix Pro 4.0.2

I like doing my own HDR in light room, but I felt that it is taking up a lot of my time.

So I decided to try out some HDR software and this is my review.

Shooting landscapes...
5418414989_d8ca3e7a04.jpg

5427882319_0248aa4f20.jpg

5427882305_c7c5a4a775.jpg

5418399731_e8fdec9d02.jpg

Shooting People..
5419023250_a0901e4131.jpg

Shooting indoors...
5410855794_dd92e0f488.jpg

Firstly, the software is quick to install, small to download and relatively easy to use. All you need to do is to load bracketed photos -- photos taken at different exposures, (usually -2, 0 and +2)

If your camera has AEB functions, Set your Camera at Aperture Priority mode and shoot the 3 shots. (more shots are also ok)

After loading the photos, the software allows "De-ghosting", "Aligning" and "Reduce noise" After processing, you have several different types of finished photos to choose from before you get your final HDR image.

You can then process and save the image as a tiff or jpeg

Pros:
Relatively affordable
Easy to use
Small to download
Can sort of batch process photos.

Cons:
I don't like HDR for shooting people, images does get blurry (not really software problem)
Noise a little more than other software I've seen.
Dramatic photos, but sharpness is compromised. (again, may not be software problem)
Takes a long time to process and after processing, you can only pick one kind of photo, if you want another type, you need to repeat process

Hi there, thanks for sharing with us the review, but I think you've not tried enough to really fully shared with us the pros and cons of this software. Your images do not really show a good example of what the software is capable of, and so your "review" may not really be of any help to anyone who is new to Photomatix.

In fact, because there are so many sliders and controls on photomatix, it is really important to understand the relationship or co-relationship of each of these controls, and if one can master these, one may get pretty decent results with your sample images.

I use Photomatix as my primary HDR processing software, but I'm no slave to it. I know what it can do for me, and in which situations it can be suitable. Sometimes, a single shot processed on Adobe Camera Raw may just do wonders to the dynamic range extension.

Review forum is not a place for Poll.

Thread move to Digital Darkroom.

I think you have overused the grunge effect. I think it is the worst HDR effect. I would use HDR to capture the dynamic range of a scene and not to extend the dynamic range of scene. If under good light, there is no need to use HDR. Forexample, your pict #2 has blown highlights. I will use HDR to retain the highlights yet not under expose the foreground. Your pict #4 is obviously in good lighting and do not require HDR to extend the dynamic range to some weird colours.

I do agree with LiM that we need to understand the different settings within Photomatix better.

Wow your HDR is quite extreme... shooting indoors especially looks very radioactive with all the glows. Dear t/s, i hope you would be able to practice more. :)

I was shooting Film until I got my 5D in 2005/6, but I still shoot more film than Digital. I've many friends who do HDR and many others interested, just sharing what I picked up this CNY. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by doing a review.

I was shooting Film until I got my 5D in 2005/6, but I still shoot more film than Digital. I've many friends who do HDR and many others interested, just sharing what I picked up this CNY. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by doing a review.

Hi there, I don't think you have offended anyone; just be careful whenever you do a "review" you are expected to be balanced in your comments. :)

I was shooting film in the past too, and I found digital imaging's range limited for high contrast scenes so HDR may be necessary for certain scenes.

Cheers!

My personal opinion is all the photos look overcooked. HDR is something that can be overcooked very easily if not careful. Like ManWearPants says, i too feel HDR technique is good to show the range of the scene rather than extend it. I find alot of shooters are way too concern about blown highlights and shadow details that if you really want to keep everything in range the photo will look very dull or become like those "artist impressions" renderings.