Photojournalists needed for Typhoon Haiyan, Philippines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvester88

Apr 6, 2008
Hi there, I'm looking to form a team of photojournalists to make a trip down to the affected area in Philippines to capture the aftermath of the typhoon.
-contact info deleted-

Last edited:
Currently I have a 2 photogs showing interest (1 from philippines the other from singapore)

maximum im looking to form a team of 4 photog.

We're going to have a meeting at Tpy today

Contact me for more info.

Hi,
When do you plan on going there? The only way possible is via Cebu then to Tacloban. M quite keen on this one. Thanks!

I was notified of this on FB

Disaster tourism ?

Whether experienced or not .... if you are not on official aid work and/or NOT on official assignment please be sensitive and reconsider organizing an outing like this

Last edited:
Are you a working PJ ? If so which publication are you with ? Shooting in a disaster area is a skill - that is if you want not be become another statistic in injured or dead toll. Have you smelt dead bodies after 3 to 5 days of ripening in the sun, rain etc - it is a smell that is kinda hard to ignore. But hey remember to ask the team to bring lots of gear and money - you guys will be great there as donors to the people on the ground.

Team of 4 .... there will be a rush of Pinoys going back to look for and/or claim bodies of loved ones, attend funerals, visit injured/suffereing relatives and bringing what help they can carry back home to the Visayas and Negros regions

Let these people have these 4 seats to get on the planes for more serious matters

Last edited:
It is not just about skills or withstanding smell. TS, if your home is burned down and you have a bunch of photography enthusiasts cramming around trying to take shots of the aftermath of the fire, how would you feel? Photojournalists take such photo to report the sickening disaster aftermath. I do question your motives for doing this.

Life is more than just photography. Have a heart. What goes around, comes around.

I am not sure what the intentions of TS are but I find this to be really sick and opportunistic. TS, I hope you seriously reconsider such actions. It's insensitive, crass and does not help anyone except yourself and your merry band of "do whatever they wants".

Faint......

Are you a working PJ ? If so which publication are you with ? Shooting in a disaster area is a skill - that is if you want not be become another statistic in injured or dead toll. Have you smelt dead bodies after 3 to 5 days of ripening in the sun, rain etc - it is a smell that is kinda hard to ignore. But hey remember to ask the team to bring lots of gear and money - you guys will be great there as donors to the people on the ground.

looks like he's a property agent.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sylvestlim/videos

Team of 4 .... there will be a rush of Pinoys going back to look for and/or claim bodies of loved ones, attend funerals, visit injured/suffereing relatives and bringing what help they can carry back home to the Visayas and Negros regions

Let these people have these 4 seats to get on the planes for more serious matters

well said ed!!!

indeed :)

Where do u intend to stay? the place is a disaster land.. i just came back from there in fact. Remember to bring lots of water, canned food + the basics.. If you're really thinking of going, do plan your night activities also.. u might want to try star trails there. Forgive me if you think when i said "boring", some sensitive people might find that offensive

I am personally disgusted by this...

If you want to go there, go there to give help in the relief work. Spare a thought for those trying to get there to give help, find loved ones, send aid.

Don't take up excess space or weight to boost your own egos.

Want to shoot disasters? Go apply for jobs with SPH or some foreign paper. Don't be a wannabe.

Yes Daredevil.. you're right, i support your speech abt that totally.. i was there with local doctors and nurses. I didn't state it previously, sorry..

I am personally disgusted by this...

I don't know how to put this across, but imagine this:

Hi, guys. I'm from SG, and I want to do some shooting here. Wow, what a mess... was that YOUR home? <click> <click>. Can you stand there and pose for me? You got that great sad look on your face. Your kid's dead? Where's the body? Boy , I never shoot a dead kid before.

Pardon me, can you give me a bit of that scarce clean water and food? And spare me some of your make shift bed and blanket while you are at it.

Now, as I type this, I feel my ears are burning and I think my face is flaming hot. ;(

Last edited:
Yes Daredevil.. you're right, i support your speech abt that totally.. i was there with local doctors and nurses. I didn't state it previously, sorry..

If you are there to help, then I salute you. But do not give the wrong impression that it is ok to be there at this time for a photography trip. And shooting "star-trails" can wait. Give the damn airline seats up to people who need it more.

And btw, my earlier post was directed at TS.

Which media are you representing? Do you have a media pass? Be sensitive. Its a diaster. You think it is some kind of festival there? Unless you are truly on assignment, otherwise, i don't see a need for this. Dont take advantage of others misery to make your own happiness. This is not what we condone here. If you have the time and money, why not donate to our photoaid and make yourself useful?

For your own good I'm locking up and closing this thread before it goes viral and/or STOMPed

Although its a free world and technically nothing illegal, members of the ClubSNAP community has voiced their indignations and concerns.

Mods and admin have also unanimously agreed that this suggested outing is in total bad taste and utterly insensitive

Thread closed

Last edited:
If you want to go there to help with the relief effort that is fine. But do not go there for your own selfish photographic purpose and do not organize outings there. Not only will you get in the way, you are being insensitive to the folks suffering from this tragedy. Every transport you take, you are taking up a seat that can go to a relief worker, or space for relief items or seat for families trying to get in touch with their loved ones. Every photo you snap, you are getting in the way of workers, slowing them down in giving medical, or relief aid. Every piece of food you eat, water you drink, it could have gone to a victim there to quell their hunger and thirst.

For folks who responded to TS, please consider very carefully. There have been reports of robbery and violence where reporters and relief workers have been robbed of their food and water. For your own safety as well as your own conscience, I strongly suggest you reconsider your decision. And even if you manage to get there, where will you sleep? Where will you go? There are no proper transport there now. There are no spare beds, there is no spare food and water. Don't put yourself at risk and be a burden to others at the same time.

ClubSNAP does not agree with nor condone this kind of outings and behavior. It is insensitive and in bad taste. Thread closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.