Photography with external flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laopan

Mar 19, 2005
Singapore
Hi,

Do anyone have seen a good website to discuss the use of
external flash while taking photo? Or any well know rule of thumb?

I found that I have problem to select the appropriate shutter speed , aperture,
and flash exposure compensation when composite a shot. End up overexpose, or underexpose.

Any guru can help?

Thanks

using 430EX + 350D

using a nikon would helps. :thumbsup:
anyway you might want to ask in canon subforum, they should know more about this problem. ;)

I would like to ask a question. if CANON user can answer.

If the object is dark, while background is bright . and I am hand hold using Tv 1/60
When I focus at the object, the largest Aperture still can't provide correct exposure for the
object (aperture number blinking), can I just press the shutter, and the 430 ex flash will automatically fill the object to correct exposure?

Another scenario, when I want to have good exposure for background and object. Could I set the correct exposure for the background (which is under exposed for the object) ... when shutter pressed.
430 EX will fill the object to correct exposure?

Laopan said:
I would like to ask a question. if CANON user can answer.

If the object is dark, while background is bright . and I am hand hold using Tv 1/60
When I focus at the object, the largest Aperture still can't provide correct exposure for the
object (aperture number blinking), can I just press the shutter, and the 430 ex flash will automatically fill the object to correct exposure?

Another scenario, when I want to have good exposure for background and object. Could I set the correct exposure for the background (which is under exposed for the object) ... when shutter pressed.
yes you are right...

+evenstar said:
yes you are right...

In that case, except using flash exposure lock.
How do I know, if I need to set flash compensation? by experience?
any rule of thumb?

Laopan said:
any rule of thumb?
simple, take a shot 1st, if bg is exposed properly but the object in front is over/under den set accordingly from ur flash(not v. sure about canon, but should be the same for all brands) and den take another shot

Laopan said:
any rule of thumb?
you need to know compensation for shadows and highlights...flash compensation works pretty much the same way as exposure compensation

Laopan said:
Hi,

Do anyone have seen a good website to discuss the use of
external flash while taking photo? Or any well know rule of thumb?

I found that I have problem to select the appropriate shutter speed , aperture,
and flash exposure compensation when composite a shot. End up overexpose, or underexpose.

Any guru can help?

Thanks

using 430EX + 350D

check this url might or might not help

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#ettlii

YMMV

Still have question ;p .... if I am in AF and Tv or Av mode and don't want to use FEL. Yet, I want to have good exposure of background. I point to the background to half press shutter to fix the exposure, then reframe the picture with the subject ... and press the shutter ..

In that case, I have the good exposure of background and subject(with flash) , however, the focus will be out because the focus point is at the background to fix the exposure with half press....

May I know how should I do it in this case?

Laopan said:
Still have question ;p .... if I am in AF and Tv or Av mode and don't want to use FEL. Yet, I want to have good exposure of background. I point to the background to half press shutter to fix the exposure, then reframe the picture with the subject ... and press the shutter ..

In that case, I have the good exposure of background and subject(with flash) , however, the focus will be out because the focus point is at the background to fix the exposure with half press....

It alldepends on what metering mode you chose though. You can also modify the custom funcion #4 to disable AF opertaions when you half press the shutter.

Keep in mind that in Av or Tv mode the flash is used as a fill so if you partial meter the b/g you might still get an over exposed subject...I normaly only use flash as a fill when the natural lighitng is good enough.

Laopan said:
Is it me, or is there something wrong here.. IF the background is underexposed, and you expose for it... that'll make your foreground overexposed wouldn't it? Flash wouldn't help in anyway..

Laopan said:

That's why there exists a Manual mode. FEL can't help you even if you want to use it.

:bsmilie: IMHO TV mode should be avoided at all cost for MOST type of photography not involving tele.. I find that control of DOF is pretty essential at most times.

I have a question would like to ask. The * button acts both as FEL and AEL function right ? So when I'm on Av or Tv mode, with flash mounted, * becomes FEL. How do I get AEL lock ? I know Canon 1-series body have separate FEL and AEL which is great. But what about for other cam's below that, how do I get AEL ?

check the menu, there should be 1 option that let you choose either you want AF-L + AE-L or AE-L or AF-L alone. if there is select AE-L this will enable the button to just lock the exposure while the shutter acts like another button which lock the focus.

atleast it does have this option in nikon :bsmilie:

ExplorerZ said:
check the menu, there should be 1 option that let you choose either you want AF-L + AE-L or AE-L or AF-L alone. if there is select AE-L this will enable the button to just lock the exposure while the shutter acts like another button which lock the focus.

atleast it does have this option in nikon :bsmilie:

its called Custom Function #4 in canon ;p At least it is #4 in the 350D...

raptor84 said:
haha at least it does have this option...:bsmilie:
i know nuts about canon menu

raptor84 said:

I know what you mean regarding CF#04 but this CF only defines how you want to map the shutter and * buttons. It doesn't seem to alllow both FEL and AEL functionality at the same time. You either have AEL or FEL, but not both. Sometimes I wish to have flexibility of controlling my background (AEL) as well as Flash (FEL) exposures, recompose and shoot.

What I do currently when I use flash is to use FEL for flash exposure lock and the normal AE compensation via rear dial for background exposure. However this method doesn't allow me the flexibility to lock background exposure, recompose, and shoot.

Only the 1-series has separate AEL and FEL buttons which is good. So can I confirm that other than the 1-series bodies, I cannot have both exposure lock functionality for both Flash and Background ? at the same time.

The following are CF#04 for 350D
Custom Function # 4 determines selectable functions for the shutter and AE lock buttons. The four choices are:
0, AF/AE lock
1, AE lock/AF
2, AF/AF lock, no AE lock
3, AE/AF, no AE lock

Use custom functions 4-1 and enable spot metering.

Half press the shutter on the bright back ground, press the * to focus on the dim background, then compose and take the shot. Use fill flash for brighten the foreground. Btw i noticed the 430EX tends to underexpose on 0EV. You may want to raise the EV to +2/3 so that its brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.