Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

Hi all, came across this super cool and sexy photo shoot video by two very talented and beautiful female photographers.

Sexy photo shoot using continuous lights

You will see several different type of continuous lights, the first was a big "square light bank" formed by florescent tubes. I first saw this lights set up by Peter Hurley, it will formed a very interesting catch lights in model's eyes. I have did a few personal shoot with this set up. May be I will try to post some images to share.

Second setup was strobe combined with continuous light acting as background. Interesting.... I normally do the opposite. The photographer also gel the continuous lights during the shoot. Do check out this "must see BTS" video :thumbsup:

Hi all, just a small reminder for posting in this thread, since the thread have jump to page four

This thread is strictly to share with one another on topics relating to CFL on:
All sort of Portraits,Poses, still life, products and etc photos (experimental/artistic and etc) taken using CFL or CFL with other equipments like flash/reflector and etc
Positive suggestions/tips in relation to postures/model posing
Set up of CFL to get certain type of lighting effects (eg. Butterfly Lighting)

Please don't post things like:

Sourcing for CFL (Please please don't do it here, you go google yourself or post your own WTB in Buy/Sell)
Nasty comments on the model's looks (him/her)
Comparing with others equipments (I truly believe that different type of photography equipment has it own unique strength and weakness) If you really want to compare, please post your own thread.
Portraits and Poses photos/works without any use of CFL

For other things relating to the following I have open up a thread at General, Reviews, Tech Talk. So do discuss over there instead
Technical knowledge in using CFL
Tips and tricks
How different brand of camera behave when using CFL
Auto White balance issues/theories/troubleshoot
Lights/CRI/Color temperature/full spectrum theory
Getting good images and how you achieve it with CFL
Thoughts and tips in combining other Equipments like flash/reflector and others
How different brand of fluorescents behave (heat/CRI/and etc)

General, Reviews, Tech Talk on CFL
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381117

Hi everyone, just to share few cools videos on creating a High and Low Key look with CFL. If you like to re-create the matrix reloaded poster look these videos are really good reference to check out.

Infinite White Backdrop with CFL
Watched the beautiful Olivia explained how she achieved the "blown up/high key" using CFL softboxes. Personally I think the setup may be out for reach for most people due to budget and space... Anyway, still a ultra cool learning video worth checking out :thumbsup:

Infinite White Backdrop with CFL "The Cheaper Way"
If you have a budget and still like to created a full body "high key" look, this is the video that you must watch. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

All Black Background with CFL
If you have watched Olivia's Infinite White Backdrop video, proceed to check out this new video on "Low Key/All Black" background.

Strobist - SUNPAK 120J PROFESSIONAL, Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

Hi all, recently I saw a few videos on CFRL (continuous fluorescent ring light). So decide to share with you guys.

CFRL photo shoot with Mike Luter :thumbsup:
A good video by photographer Mike Luter as he shoot a female model with a few different backgrounds.

CFRL photo shoot with one and two light setup
Its more like a product intro and review video....:think: I decided to post it here because the presenter later did an one and two light setup which I think is very detail and informative. :thumbsup:

Hope you guys find it useful. BTW if any of you guys do owned these big CFRL, please do share with us your setup and results. thanks

Continuous Fluorescent Light (Technical), Strobist - SUNPAK 120J PROFESSIONAL

Hi all, just to share two videos on CFLs. Do check it out :)

Basic Catch Light short tutorial
Although its a short tutorial, it does show you a few useful tips on creating interesting catch light in the model's eyes.

Westcott Spiderlite TD6 by Terry White
A new product by Westcott, I think Terry White used two lights for this shoot. One main from the side and one fill from the front?

Hi all, came across this video while surfing YouTube, its a really short BTS video. A clean simple video which and was done very tastefully. The photographer clamped a fluorescent ring tube using a "gun" release tripod head. Its a very clever idea, but personally I felt that safety wise is a bit lacking. You can see the ring tube a bit wobbly when the photographer adjust the light source.

BTS with photographer Eric Beaulieu using budget CFRL and etc

Strobist - SUNPAK 120J PROFESSIONAL, Photography with Continuous Fluorescent Lights

Hi everyone, its been a while.

Now check out this must see 9 mins cool video by Commercial Photographer Joe Edelman. In this video Joe, will show how he combined different types of lights (Strobe with DIY CFL system) to get cool portraits. He also share some very useful tips when shooting with these household fluorescent tubes.

There is also a Part 1 where Joe will share how he build his DIY CFLs system. You all must check it out also :thumbsup:

Also check out his blog where you will learn tons of things. Double Confirmed.

We have David Hobby for Manual strobist, Joe Mcnally for TTL strobist and now Joe Edelman for CFLs. Cool :thumbsup:

Hi all, have two very cool videos on D.O.F with CFLs. Do check it out :thumbsup:

First video was by female photographer "SnapChick", do check out her other cool videos from Youtube SnapChick.
Shallow D.O.F. with continuous light by SnapChick

One of the top 5 professional photographer I looked upon beside Joe Mcnally, Zack Arias, Chase Jarvis and Scott Kelby.
Almost 50% of my "recap" photography knowledge I learned from him. A great teacher. Hope one day I got to thank him in person.
Shallow D.O.F. using continuous light by Mark Wallace
Do check out other great videos from AdoramaTV. Cool dudes who support free photography educations :thumbsup:

Benjamin Von Wong is a very talented young photographer based in Montreal Canada. Beside his well known "playing with fire" works, he have lots of other works with strong concept and impactful visuals. Do check them out.

Using CFL tubes for Cool DOF look by photographer Von Wong

Feel free to check out the light diagram and final pics here too

Thanks bro for the very helpful posts as well as links to great resources on this subject. Thread promoted to Sticky.

Thanks Bro, Appreciated :)

Hi all, sorry its been a while I updated this thread. Busy with stuffs and lots of thing to learnt : >

Recently came across these two great videos worth watching. Do check them out guys!

Pros and Cons on Lighting with Natural light, CFL with a Shoot thru Umbrella and CFL ring light
Very talented Photographer Miss Maya did a great job in this video. The video is easy to understand without using any photography jargon or super expensive gear. Brilliantly done! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Senior Portrait lighting with CFLs
Photographer Blair Phillips share his 3 light setup how to and some useful tips for his senior portrait photography. :thumbsup:

Hi all, everyone must check out this cool video by Nikon Grand Master Flash Joe Mcnally.

Joe Mcnally: Creating motion with flash and CFLs
Check out how Nikon CLS Grand ShiFu combined constant and instant light to create beautiful motion portrait :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi all, Photographer Jay P Morgan have come up with another cool video on Balancing Light Bulbs with Strobes. Although the CL source in this case are incandescent bulbs which have a better retro feel than modern CFLs. I think is still a very good video to watch and learn.

Photographer Jay P Morgan - Balancing Continuous Light Bulbs with Flash Strobes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Do check it out guys :)