Photography trip to Vietnam (Deepavali Hols)

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Hope to organise a trip to Vietnam, mainly landscape shot and some street.

Had Hanoi in mind at the moment with the following places,
1. Halong Bay (karstic landscape, bay trip)
2. Perfume Pagoda (karstic landscapes, river trip, temples)
3. Ninh Binh (historic architecture, river trip, karstic landscapes)

Please put your name down the list ONLY if you can really make it and don't pull out last minute on me. All members are welcomed to join but "first come first go" basis only as it will be a small group photography trip of 6 or 8.

The trip would be from Wednesday night (Friday 24th is Deepavali) to Sunday evening. So, we have to take a day leave on Thursday.

Confirmed going:

[1] binbeto
[2] jasphotography

The cost of the trip is unknown.
Probably, in the region of $800-$1K. Air ticket is abt $500 if I am not wrong.

Anyone with good travel lobang can let us know yet too..

BTW, Deepavali is REALLY on the 24Oct. The 23Oct you see on your calendar has been amended.

Confirmed going:

[1] binbeto
[2] jasphotography
[3] June Koh
[4] Stanley XXX

Thanks Binbeto for the information :thumbsup:

My travel bugs are creeping onto me already, wait till you see the pictures in the links below!

ok, my homework as follow:

Halong Bay

The Ha Long bay, dotted with 3000 limestone islets rising from emerald waters, is the best known natural wonder of Vietnam. Because of their precipitous nature, most of the islands are uninhabited and unaffected by a human presence.

The site's outstanding scenic beauty is complemented by its great biological interest. The islands feature endless numbers of beaches, grottoes, and caves. Ha Long means "where the dragon goes into the sea".

According to a legend, as a great dragon who lived in the mountains ran towards the sea, its tail gouged out valleys which later filled out with water, leaving only bits of land over the surface, the many tiny islets.

Because the distances are actually quite large, it is preferable to hire a fast boat for the tour. Of the two gateway towns, Bai Chay's development is due mostly to tourism's, while Hon Gai has kept its where mining activity and fishing boats. Ha Long Bay is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Perfume Pagoda

Perfume Pagoda is 75 km south-west of Hanoi and it takes two and half hours by bus to get there because the road is currently in poor condition. After this bumpy bus trip is the fun boat trip along the scenic waterways which takes 80 minutes one way to the foot of the mountain.

The Perfume Pagoda is a complex of pagodas and Buddhist shrines built into the limestone cliffs of Huong Tich Mountain.

Although there is a road from the pier to the base of Perfume mountain, most people choose to use row boats on Yen Vi river, which is by far the more romantic and scenic route.

Ninh Binh

Ninh Binh is a small town about 100km south of Hanoi, which is surrounded by a number of lesser known interesting sites. Hoa Lu was the first capital of the independent Vietnam, under the Dinh dynasty and the early Le Dynasty (968-1009).

There are two sanctuaries, each of them devoted to the emperors of one of these two dynasties. They are set into a landscape of limestone mountains reminiscent of some the better known sites of South China.

In Tam Coc, you can take a boat tour on a river which tunnels several times into the same type of mountains. The river is actually used by local villagers to access their rice fields. The nearby Ken Ga canal provides the opportunity to observe river life in the North, and contrast it with what you can see in the Mekong Delta.

The whole area was an important center of catholicism, and you will be surprised to see churches among the rice fields. Phat Diem has a vast cathedral which has a unique Sino-Vietnamese architecture.

Trip commences on Wednesday night (22 Oct) and will end on Sunday (26 Oct).

Friday (24 Oct) is Deepavali holiday. So, all we need is to take leave on Thursday and we depart on Wednesday night!

Budget should be around S$800 plus minus abit.

I will try to check on flight price and availability. Booking and reservation likely to be by first week of Oct.

So, whoever wants to come, please confirm by end of this month. Regardless of photographer strength, the trip will proceed... ;)

The following flight schedule & quotation for your info.

VN 740 22OCT SINHAN 1430 1900
VN 741 26OCT HANSIN 0700 1325

Fare for VN (Vietnam) at S$690 exclude taxes.

SQ 176 22OCT SINHAN 1035 1300
SQ 175 25OCT HANSIN 1410 1830

Fare quoted for SQ (Singapore) S$545 exclude taxes (GV3 fare), min 2 nites, max 21
days ticket. SQ only flying on Mon, Wed, Fri & Sat.

MH 602 22OCT SINKUL 0650 0745
MH 752 22OCT KULHAN 1115 1340
MH 753 26OCT HANKUL 1330 1750
SQ 117 26OCT KULSIN 1850 1945

Fare quoted for MH (Malaysia) at S$468 exclude taxes.

Rough estimate of budget for the 4 days 3 nights trip:

M'sia Air Fare: $500
3 nights Accom: $90
3 days meals: $50
Transport: $50

Miscellaneous Cost: $70
Tiger Show: Extra $$$ :D

Total Cost: $760

Cut-off date for confirmation on this trip would be on the following Sunday (28th Sept)

If not because I will have another trip to China at the same time, I will definitely join u, sigh...

very interested in this trip leh..
accomodation on a twin sharing basis or ??
advance booking of accomodation or find it over there ?
staying in budget hostel or hotels ???

itchy fingers...

jasphotography said:
Thanks Binbeto for the information :thumbsup:

My travel bugs are creeping onto me already, wait till you see the pictures in the links below!

ok, my homework as follow:

Halong Bay

The Ha Long bay, dotted with 3000 limestone islets rising from emerald waters, is the best known natural wonder of Vietnam. Because of their precipitous nature, most of the islands are uninhabited and unaffected by a human presence.

The site's outstanding scenic beauty is complemented by its great biological interest. The islands feature endless numbers of beaches, grottoes, and caves. Ha Long means "where the dragon goes into the sea".

According to a legend, as a great dragon who lived in the mountains ran towards the sea, its tail gouged out valleys which later filled out with water, leaving only bits of land over the surface, the many tiny islets.

Because the distances are actually quite large, it is preferable to hire a fast boat for the tour. Of the two gateway towns, Bai Chay's development is due mostly to tourism's, while Hon Gai has kept its where mining activity and fishing boats. Ha Long Bay is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Hi, I am really excited to read about your trip. I will not be able to join you bcos December I will be busy. However, I was actually thinking of going to Hanoi in end November during Hari Raya holidays. Do u think it is safe to go photographing there alone ? The cost of accomodation you indicated seems pretty cheap - what type of hotel is that ? Oh, by the way, I am from M'sia.
Cheers
:)

sorry, I must be half asleep..I mean I will not be able to go in October ( not december ) :embrass:

Beyblade said:
sorry, I must be half asleep..I mean I will not be able to go in October ( not december ) :embrass:

Hee hee.. Can understand.. Afterall it is midnight at your place.

To update.
This trip is postphone as the other two people are not able to take leave.

The rate we quoted for the accomodation is from the internet. Should be around there.

It's best to get a partner to go to a foreign land. Not to say Vietnam is a dangerous place. Just to be on the safe side.

I am informed that it is the rainy season there. You might wanna know this.

Just got back from Ho Chi Minh City 2 weeks ago. When it rains, it really rains. And roads get flooded easily. In December, Hanoi will be wet and very cold. That's their winter season. HCMC is not as cold as it's further south.
So far, I've been to Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi on work assignments, and I've moved around quite often on my own. Easiest way around is by taxi. It is very safe there except for the high rate of snatch thieves. So make sure you hold your cam really tight. The thieves will snatch your phones, cams, etc from a moving bike so always face away from the road when using these items. Got a colleague there who lost his handphone twice in a few weeks in this way. The people there are very nice and friendly, but they will ask you to go to 'special' places, which some guys will probably enjoy. :D

Thanks guys for your info. Aiyah...to go or not to go...last thing I want is to be trapped in the hotel for the few days I am there ! :dunno: By the way, Binbeto, you trip is postponed to when ?

Also, if going to Halong Bay, I presume you will have to stay somewhere near there ? Otherwise, by the time reach there is about near noon..not so nice lighting..and cannot wait too late before starting the journey back to Hanoi ?

cheers.
:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.