PHOTOGRAPHY tricks n techniques?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anakindo

Jan 7, 2009
hi guys, i recently just got my D90, was rather excited to find out tricks and tips from the people around me. and i hope you guys would help me =D

tricks that i know so far,...

1. bokeh - a common photography effect using 50mm lense f1.8 that makes the D.O.F very shallow..

2. when shootin in slower shutter speed, zoom it at the same time. it gives a zooming effect..

3. when shootin in slower shutter speed, turn the camera while zooming 90 degree, giving a twister effect..

4. light painting - making use of extremely slow shutter speed, need tripod and light source, then you paint on air..

5. smoke photography - making use of nomal smoke with black background and later edit it in photoshop to give abstract effect..

6. panning - shooting in a slower shutter speed while keep moving along with a moving a moving object, that gives u a blur moving effect but to the object is nicely focus..

and.. is there anymore ? can help this novice ? :sweat:

Best tip: Always remove the lens cap before you shoot! :D

All this has been around since SLR days....

End of the day you will need to use and practise to get a good shot you like... there will be some tips you can find along during experience it.

hi guys, i recently just got my D90, was rather excited to find out tricks and tips from the people around me. and i hope you guys would help me =D

1. bokeh - a common photography effect using 50mm lense f1.8 that makes the D.O.F very shallow..
Ans: Only big aperture lens can do that...f2.8 and bigger.

2. when shootin in slower shutter speed, zoom it at the same time. it gives a zooming effect..
Ans: Ya...got to control yr aperture. Where your put yr subject? Centre?

3. when shootin in slower shutter speed, turn the camera while zooming 90 degree, giving a twister effect..
Ans: Depending on the subject...you will get it blur for most of the images.

4. light painting - making use of extremely slow shutter speed, need tripod and light source, then you paint on air..
Ans: Normally use it on night scene with moving light...

5. smoke photography - making use of nomal smoke with black background and later edit it in photoshop to give abstract effect..
Ans: Can use for misty or cloudy effect...

6. panning - shooting in a slower shutter speed while keep moving along with a moving a moving object, that gives u a blur moving effect but to the object is nicely focus..
Ans: Yes...if can get 10% good shot...is good enough

and.. is there anymore ? can help this novice ? :sweat:

hmm...those are certainly nice gimmicks with interesting results, but IMO the real tricks and techniques that help you get the best exposure, white balance, focus, etc. under different conditions are much much more important.

hmm...those are certainly nice gimmicks with interesting results, but IMO the real tricks and techniques that help you get the best exposure, white balance, focus, etc. under different conditions are much much more important.

No offence bro.. To get best exposure/white balance/focus etc etc.. its totally basic skills .. those gimmick i would rate it as more advance then basic... without basic skills, can forget about other tricks and techniques which requires more set up and creativity.

But credit given.. and yet thanks for the advice.. cos many times.. we forget our basic and just want to jump to more advance state... But i suppose TS asking for Tricks and techniques.. as TS should be capable of his basic skills.

-Peace -

No offence bro.. To get best exposure/white balance/focus etc etc.. its totally basic skills .. those gimmick i would rate it as more advance then basic... without basic skills, can forget about other tricks and techniques which requires more set up and creativity.

But credit given.. and yet thanks for the advice.. cos many times.. we forget our basic and just want to jump to more advance state... But i suppose TS asking for Tricks and techniques.. as TS should be capable of his basic skills.

-Peace -
Point taken and TS shall get the benefit of doubt.

exposure/white balance/focus + metering...

they are so hard to master.. any guide of tips on these?

How about HDR ?

IMO .. HDR is all about processing.. (correct me if im wrong). just based on the TC topic.. i supposed TS is referring to tecniques straight raw from the camera itself..

they are so hard to master.. any guide of tips on these?

usually these issues.. is not easy to just read and understand.. it is always best to have a more experience person to guide on the job. Its more fruitful. bcos reading will add on knowledge to theory. But practical is a total different thing.

Good idea for newbies. However this shld be under the basics of photography? Digital Dark room is about photo enhancement???

Anyway, i think you missed out 'Compositions'... LOL

Good idea for newbies. However this shld be under the basics of photography? Digital Dark room is about photo enhancement???

Anyway, i think you missed out 'Compositions'... LOL

I guess we getting out of the topic though .. hahaha.. Yeap .. Composition... but i guess its under the etc etc.. :)

lol? i thought this is the best place for this question cos it says that " Share tips & tricks, techniques, general photography chat." yeah.. so, anyway.. HDR, how do u do it ? is it through photoshop ? must be it right ? and, painting the picture ermm.. photoshop or how you take a photo ? =_=?

i'm kinda alright with exposure n white balance ( i dunno what is it called, but i know the colour will turn from orange to bluish ) and metering, is it about " D.O.F " ?

HDr need some processing with whatever softwares you familiar with .. there are many softwares... Paint the picture.. is something different from Painting with lights..

Paint the picture one of a sylabus under flash techniques.. where you make use of flash techniques to cover a huge area (landscape) during dark hours. And to be more creative.. you can actually balance off the amount of light to certain part of your desired landscape.

Metering is not about D.o.F .. In a simpler form, It is about the measurement of light to control your exposure ideally..

Couple more tips/tricks here...

When the sun is in front and really bright, stop down to between f/16-22. This would give a 'starlight' like effect. This can be done on a bright day. The very small aperture causes diffraction which results in this 'effect'. Btw, shooting directly into the sun is to be avoided as much as possible. :)

When shooting water reflections or to get a water flow effect, increase shutter speed (lower iso, higher f etc.).

Up the EV compensation when shooting a subject against a very bright background --> though some good metering techniques might not require this.

There a are a few more (flash, filters blah blah)..too lazy now...

Extremely WRONG. Bokeh is the QUALITY of out-of-focus areas, how smooth it is and how little it distracts / how much it contributes to the subject. ALL LENSES can achieve OOF areas and thus bokeh, but it's the quality of the bokeh that can vary greatly.

Err... Yeah... This has been around for decades...

Here's the most important tip: RTFM.

Actually hor.. the manual given.. doe not give very detailed description of the techniques described.

Actually hor.. the manual given.. doe not give very detailed description of the techniques described.

I meant in general. ;)

Most manuals will explain about DOF, slow vs. fast shutter, freezing action vs. panning, getting the correct exposure, etc.

Couple more tips/tricks here...
When shooting water reflections or to get a water flow effect, increase shutter speed (lower iso, higher f etc.).
I think you meant decrease shutter speed (slow shutter) to give silky water surface and better reflections, right?
Up the EV compensation when shooting a subject against a very bright background --> though some good metering techniques might not require this.
Can do this easily without changing EV compensation: Use exposure-lock on the silhouetted subject, but the background will be overexposed. You can get better results by using a fill flash on the subject, then go -1.0~-1.3 stops on EV compensation. More even exposure this way.

I agree w/ above. Your camera manual is not like the manual for other simple gadgets. It is actually very informative. Dun be so "pro" as to ignore it completely. Even a pro buying a new camera can maybe learn some new functions and settings to make their work easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.