Photography/travel in London/Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

reactan

Jan 2, 2004
Bedok
reactan.instantlogic.com
Hi all,

I'll be heading over to oxford and london in a couple of days. Any suggestions as to "must see" attractions and "must visit" photographic spots in this area? please advise! Thanks.

Al

A stroll along the Thames between Westminster (Big Ben) to Tower Bridge will be a good starting point for nice pics, Covent Gardens, Trafalgar Square, Picaddily Circus (the famous TDK neon signboard and the Eros).

Thanks...would any one know if electronics here would work there, ie: plugs and chargers and such. Worried abt the different voltages..etc.

Same as S'pore... same 3-pin plugs and same 230-240V 50Hz supply. Will need the three-pin to two-pin adaptors if you plan to visit France while you're here though.

reactan said:
Thanks...would any one know if electronics here would work there, ie: plugs and chargers and such. Worried abt the different voltages..etc.

The voltage is abt the same.. Went there last year May ...
Buckingham Palace change of guard, Convent Garden for busking, Big Ben, The Eye, Parliament House, Westminister Abbey, Harrod, St. Paul, Tower Bridge.

CLick here for some of the pix i took last year

http://ransoma22.clubsnap.org/gallery/uk

Now's a good time to shoot in Hyde Park, all the flowers are starting to bloom (I was there last week). If you need any help or guiding around the Tower Hill area (Tower of London, Tower Bridge), can PM me as I live near there :D .

justarius said:
Now's a good time to shoot in Hyde Park, all the flowers are starting to bloom (I was there last week). If you need any help or guiding around the Tower Hill area (Tower of London, Tower Bridge), can PM me as I live near there :D .
Hey, maybe we should organise a ClubSnap London outing... I used to rent a studio with my GF at Butler's Wharf but have now bought our own house in the SE. Still travel up to London (weekdays for work, weekend every now & then for pleasure!).

SzennyBoy said:
Hey, maybe we should organise a ClubSnap London outing... I used to rent a studio with my GF at Butler's Wharf but have now bought our own house in the SE. Still travel up to London (weekdays for work, weekend every now & then for pleasure!).

hehe, I don't mind.. might take my mind off exam mugging (not that I'm doing too much of it!).

ps. By the way, thanks for the help regarding the G2220! Got a nice secondhand one for a good price on Ebay... guess its time to start terrorising the dandelions in my garden.. :D

SzennyBoy said:

Great idea! I 'll be spending most of my time in oxford, but will be in london in the weekends, and from 21-24 of may. :)

reactan said:
Great idea! I 'll be spending most of my time in oxford, but will be in london in the weekends, and from 21-24 of may. :)
Weekends for the rest of April and early May are good for me except for the 21-24 May weekend, I'm going to a friend's wedding down in Kent and will be gone for the whole weekend.

justarius said:
By the way, thanks for the help regarding the G2220! Got a nice secondhand one for a good price on Ebay... guess its time to start terrorising the dandelions in my garden.. :D
Don't forget the ladybirds as well! ;)

macro2.jpg

macro2_setup.jpg

dun try the chinese restuarant call 东方不败 in oxford near the bus interchange. it sucks..

reactan said:

i shall have to keep this thread active...i'll be going over in oct for uni. Looking forward to getting to know you guys better....i'll be in london though...

szekiat said:
i shall have to keep this thread active...i'll be going over in oct for uni. Looking forward to getting to know you guys better....i'll be in london though...

London ah? Which Uni? But I won't be here liao...after 4 years here, it's time to go home :D

SzennyBoy said:
Don't forget the ladybirds as well! ...

hehe, my garden is actually more like a jungle, so maybe I can find more than ladybirds..cos typical students, never go rake garden bed, put in nice rose plants unlike the rest of my neighbours. I swear that my garden is the eyesore of the whole neighbourhood :bsmilie:

Anyway, if we are meeting up with reactan during one of the weekends, maybe can drop by Aperture Photographic together.. cos I'm eyeing one of their second hand lens. Otherwise, I just mugging in my house all day :cry:

I'll be going to St George's Hospital Medical School. Its near Tooting Broadway tube station so its probably miles away from where everyone else is. Ah well. I have my reasons, chiefly that its far from the city central where all the things are... :)
That said, when are u leaving london? Is this your final year? Perhaps we can meet up when u come back or when i go over...would be nice to find out from a fellow student where all the neat stuff can be found, esp the cam shops...hehe...

hey. im going london/stratford/oxford in june. any nice captures ?

szekiat said:
I'll be going to St George's Hospital Medical School. Its near Tooting Broadway tube station so its probably miles away from where everyone else is. Ah well. I have my reasons, chiefly that its far from the city central where all the things are... :)
That said, when are u leaving london? Is this your final year? Perhaps we can meet up when u come back or when i go over...would be nice to find out from a fellow student where all the neat stuff can be found, esp the cam shops...hehe...

No problem. :D I graduated last year but staying one more year to complete my masters.

First rule: bring all your stationary you think you need here. The price here is exactly the same as in Singapore...except that its denominated in pounds. And no need to stock up on instant noodles, cos the Chinatown in London is very well stocked. Also no need to buy your winter clothes in Singapore. Just bring one thick one and wait for the Boxing Day sale here.. more styles and very cheap.

Most photographic stuff will be much cheaper in Singapore. Don't expect to get good deals here in UK, though the price of film is comparable or even slightly cheaper.

If got more specific concerns, can PM me and I will try my best to answer...

justarius said:
...maybe can drop by Aperture Photographic together.. cos I'm eyeing one of their second hand lens.

That can do any day during lunchtime or after 5:30pm for me... My office is just on Malet Street, the other side of the British Museum so its only a 10 mins walk for me to get there! Let me know. BTW, which college are you at? Me, ex-UCL...

Status
Not open for further replies.