Photography style??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamergod

Feb 9, 2009
Fratton Park, Portsmouth
Hi I am still new to photography. When i read around in CS,i saw many saying about creating a photography style.But they dont define what is photography syle. Is lanscape,macro,street photography counted as photography style?Please help me elaborate further.
Thanks You

Hi I am still new to photography. When i read around in CS,i saw many saying about creating a photography style.But they dont define what is photography syle. Is lanscape,macro,street photography counted as photography style?Please help me elaborate further.
Thanks You
in simple word, a distinct character of the works created by photographer, kind of like signatures, from the look you can tell this is so and so's works.

for an instant, like many people like to shoot XMMs, and many XMMs like to pose with puffer fish pose, and if you can shoot XMMs with a puffer fish pose with a very unique way which nobody can do better than you or copy you, this will your style.

hope this hlep.

Thanks You

no, those are photography categories and genres.

style is more of a unique mark left by an individual photographer. for example, one look at this work, and you can guess that it is shot by a particularly guy. it could be the way he composes, his preference of composition, the mood he seeks to achieve with each photograph, it could also be the way he post processes the photograph.

it is easier said than done to create a style; most people will happily say "i have my own style" but they do not realise that it's all been done before, 99% of the time they have unconsciously mish mashed their favourite photographers' styles and adopted a mutant mix of it, or just one.

but is style really that important? or is it vision? or a mixture of both?

I just went through all my pictures and found out the I always find isolated subjects to shoot and most of the are....how do i explain.....i should say not the whole subject is in the frame ,some have been purposely cropped out.but there is still background. Is that counted as style?

I just went through all my pictures and found out the I always find isolated subjects to shoot and most of the are....how do i explain.....i should say not the whole subject is in the frame ,some have been purposely cropped out.but there is still background. Is that counted as style?

no.

but here in clubsnap, eikin has a very distinct style, though it may not be entirely his.

i am cracking my head but i cannot think of anybody else who posts or posted here regularly.

you can view his gallery here, look through it a few times and you will see what i mean.

Thanks nightmare.If Pardon me for my shallowness.I kinda interpreted the composition of his pictures,somehow,i think that his style is to place his focal point in the middle.Even if that is not his style,he really broke the rules in a very nice manner

Thanks nightmare.If Pardon me for my shallowness.I kinda interpreted the composition of his pictures,somehow,i think that his style is to place his focal point in the middle.Even if that is not his style,he really broke the rules in a very nice manner

sometimes, it is not just a method of composition, that is the first example i gave, but you are hanging onto it far too much. :)

eikin's "style", if it can even be interpreted, should be a combination of color tones (a preference for earthy, clean tones), relative minimalism (though he does make some cluttered compositions that work well), and a certain mood that a lot of people here in cs have linked with the japanese culture/approach to photography. a very peaceful, harmonic mood about his pictures.

mattlock pictures are damn man....I like the ability of him asking so many people to post for him.I like the grass cutter dudes picture and the old people 1

Hi nightmare, do you know how David Clapp does the intentional blurring of his photos except for his focus in PS? I remembered there's a name for it for i can't recal...must be age...

Hi nightmare, do you know how David Clapp does the intentional blurring of his photos except for his focus in PS? I remembered there's a name for it for i can't recal...must be age...

i am not sure, are you talking about marc adamus or david clapp?

i just came across clapp recently, have not have the time to really browse through his works in detail, do you have any particular examples where this "blur" you mention is present, so that i can see what you mean? i did a quick browse of his galleries just, i don't see any blur. tia.

Now that you said it,I think that his pictures creates a lovely dark tone.Do you mind sharing how do you achieve those kind of effect?My guess would the the light compensation and a CPL filter?
Just my guess

It's david clapp.
Take a look at the gallery Small World. The 2nd, 4th, 12th photos all have this blur. Either it's done through PS or maybe it's the effect of the lens :D

Now that you said it,I think that his pictures creates a lovely dark tone.Do you mind sharing how do you achieve those kind of effect?My guess would the the light compensation and a CPL filter?
Just my guess
i do not know, eikin has never really laid bare his processing workflow here, and he has no exif data embedded in his photographs.. so cannot say for sure. :)

I sure miss mattlock works for sure. ;)

It's david clapp.
Take a look at the gallery Small World. The 2nd, 4th, 12th photos all have this blur. Either it's done through PS or maybe it's the effect of the lens :D

i see, marc adamus has shared his condensation technique in another site before, he is a person who is very willing to share, so i thought you were talking about that.

ah, i see the photographs that you talk about. this effect can be achieved by tilt shift lens use, here in clubsnap giantcanopy and Leong23 are two people who use TS lens extensively, you can look at Leong23's APAD here or giantcanopy's Singapore series here to see more.

anyways, i am not sure if david clapp uses a TS lens or not, i am not really a fan of such, but it can also be achieved artificially (albeit with different feel and result, if you ask me) with photoshop. this is called the toy train effect, here got one big big thread on it..

receding hairline has a tutorial on how to do this in photoshop here.

sorry to trouble you again nightmare.Can you please help me name out different styles and please go into detail like for compositon,where to place your pictures.Tone, light or dark and how to achieve the effect thank you and sorry to trouble you
AGAIN....

sorry to trouble you again nightmare.Can you please help me name out different styles and please go into detail like for compositon,where to place your pictures.Tone, light or dark and how to achieve the effect thank you and sorry to trouble you
AGAIN....

er, i have shown you examples of photographers with styles.

style is fluid, it cannot be categorised and shoved into pigeon holes like homework can go into math, english, physics, biology, chemistry.

take a look at more photographers' works as a whole, see if you see anything special, if you can look at the guy's work and say "oh, this is xxx's works".

how do you expect me to write about style? i can write an essay on what style is, it can take forever. better to spend my time on more constructive things, and you should just have fun looking at pictures and discovering this idea of style for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.