Photography Skills: Which skills to learn? In what order?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ortega said:
1. Learn composition first, let the camera handle the techie stuff (P mode)
experiment with different focal lenghts

2. once you have mastered composition, give your already good compositions some depth (experiment with A mode) by using different apertures. (DOF)

3. And once you know what the aperture does, you would like to further enhance you very good compositions with motion (experiemnt with S mode) either motion freeze or motion blur.

after that you will have full control of your camera and it will be time to learn light

wah dis i totally agree wif!
same ting what my ex-boss and mentor said. :D

Canew said:
What is the BBB virus, excuse my ignorance. :confused:

buy buy buy.:bsmilie:

Canew said:
Kacang,

Thanks. BBB! Hahahahahahaaaaaha.:bsmilie: Musn't make it a habit.:nono:

Canew,

this virus is unstoppable. :(

I have a long list to buy:cry:

mmmm.... :think: .... i tink the buy virus no effect on me 1 lah.
i not interestde in buying new cam and i'm happy enuff wif my present cam and i dun tink i'll be going dat far with my cam to want to buy dslr... hehheheh:D

devmohn said:
Hello there.

What I'd like to ask is simple. If you've got no experience whatsoever but enjoy taking photographs, what does one learn in photography while using a SLR?

It's a little vague, I understand. So as the topic says, let me summarise:

1. What basic skills are important in photography?
2. In what order would you learn these skills today, if you were starting from scratch?

Thanks all. I'm sure that I'll get usable, constructive advice from this community. Which reminds me ... I think point 0 above from my friends would be: go to clubsnap and read :thumbsup:
Try this website:

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

Snowcrash said:
2 books I always recommend friends to read when it comes to photography:-

1) the art part: "Learning to see creatively" by Bryan Peterson.
This book talks about composition and colours. So go out and have find shooting and let the camera worry about the technical side (like what ortega said, P mode)

2) the technical part get a book by the same author "understanding exposure".
This book will show you the relation between ISO,aperture and shutter speed. The author calls it photographic triangle

Have fun shooting!

By the way, those comments/advice given by your friends... to me they are guidelines but not the MOST important.

I am currently reading the 2nd book mentioned i.e 'Understanding Exposure'. It is indeed an excellent book, especially so for beginners who wants to learn more about the technical aspects of photography.

Hehe I shoot in P mode leh. :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.