Photography school

Status
Not open for further replies.

fintan

Oct 16, 2004
West
Are there any schools in singapore where i can study photography and get a cert to be a professional photographer?

No photo school in SG?

I am not sure if there is a specific "school" for photography. But Ido know that Temasek Polytechnic do have photography modules.

Pardon me (cos' i don't know), what is the advantage of having a certificate in photography?

TIA

I think you are looking out for a visual arts/design degree or diploma rather than for "photography" per se. If you look harder, most established photographers are artists. They use the camera as a tool and photographs as a medium to convey their message.

When you said getting a cert for professional photographer, I was visualing the textbook being the camera manual and the test being able to define what is F-stops and focal length... :think:

Just joking... :sweatsm:

If you are just looking for someone to teach you how to fully realise the potential of your camera, then go for SEED sessions or photo outings with CS members! Nothing beats practical experience when it comes to photography.

think theres a parttime course at nanyang academy of fine arts, school of visual arts
certificate in photography
mayb tats wat u want?
Pdf Link

:)
Ah Pao said:
I think you are looking out for a visual arts/design degree or diploma rather than for "photography" per se. If you look harder, most established photographers are artists. They use the camera as a tool and photographs as a medium to convey their message.

When you said getting a cert for professional photographer, I was visualing the textbook being the camera manual and the test being able to define what is F-stops and focal length... :think:

Just joking... :sweatsm:

If you are just looking for someone to teach you how to fully realise the potential of your camera, then go for SEED sessions or photo outings with CS members! Nothing beats practical experience when it comes to photography.

Well said. :)

School or collage for photography? No. Get a cert for a professional photographer? No.

If you wish to learn more about photography, there are many ways. In polytechnic, photography is just a small subject, and you may learn more from other places.

If you wish to be a professional photographer, you may not need a cert. As there are many kinds of areas you can specialize in. and most of them don’t look at your academy results.

I would suggest you go thru a series of courses cover general photography from basic to advance, than define which area you wish to specialize in at the later stage.

It is good to plan and start early, one of a professional photographer here start shoot paid wedding assignments at 15 years old. :bigeyes:
Yes, was about your age now. :bsmilie:

Hope this help. :)

Your portfolio speaks for everything..... ;)

Think i should throw away my diploma cert.... :bsmilie:

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Working in a studio is the best way to learn the trade. You'll get to know the ins and out of commerical photography.
Many pro photographers started working as asistances. Most started learning photography from friends/courses and than following friends for weddings shoot before asking to be paid for weddings shoots. After that if they still have a burning passion to go into this trade, they join a professional ( either weddings or commerical ) studio and learn from there.
There's a photographer here who was working for a photographer who shoots a lot of TCS artisan as well as commerical jobs. In the end he find that he prefer to shoot weddings and have started doing it since than. He's very good.

Is the craze for papers, certs and degree hitting da creative lifeline as well? :(

Why do everything muz have cert-cert-cert?

Although I personally think that at the end, it is your works that shows what you are worth, I do think there is a place for a photography school. YES, I am aware that many creative photographers are not graduates of any schools. A few well known photographers that I am personally acquainted with are all students from the School of Hard Knocks.

Though my esteemed friends (and they ARE truly well known), their "specialities" are actually very narrowed. At a recent meeting with some landscape photographers, including a couple who had published books and are well known landscapes photography instructors, they actually commented that they could not make the people images that I showed. Those of you who have seen my images will know that my images are at best mediocre!

I think that the advantage a photo school can confer is a "well-rounded" education on various aspects of photography. Few photog here in CS or Singapore can lay claim to such experience and education. I am aware and agree 100% that a well rounded education do not necessarily make one a "better" photographer. There is obviously more to being a photog than simple college education.

But if the purpose is to have a piece of paper that say "I am a professional photographer", then I think it is a waste of time!

hmm .... i'm sure the thread starter are refering to any proper and guided training around , which in his terms meant 'professional cert'

poohbear said:
hmm .... i'm sure the thread starter are refering to any proper and guided training around , which in his terms meant 'professional cert'
Yes, poohbear. that a network, not a school ;)

Hi fintan,
Yes, no photography school is available in local, as there are many areas ones can practice as professional photographer, but most of the areas that I know of not necessary to have a cert.

In other country, photography can be a vocational, applied art or fine art subjects and do have a degree for that.

IMHO, going thru the proper training is important, but that are some knowledge which school would able to teach you. You have to learn it somewhere else :)

Nothing beats the joy of going on a journey of self-discovery and exploration with the knowledge that the journey is never-ending :D

When u think u had it all and knew it all in photography, something else comes along to upend every single thing u think u knew. ;)

Da best way, methinks, other den study-study-study, is to shoot-play-shoot-play. Go for photo outings, join studio shoots, see which is ur forte - the sweeping strokes of a landscape photo, the beauty of a human portrait, happiness of a wedding ceremony or the wilderness and unrestrained freedom of animals, birds and fishes, den narrow ur scope of lenses and focus.

I think the problem with some (or most) of us (especially newbies) on the 'buy buy buy' lens is probably due to the fact that some of us do not really have an fixed area of speciality, choosing to go 'all out' casting our nets as wide as possible to cover many fields as possible.

YUp, I guess dat's abt it. :)

With today's Technology, you do not need to study photography.The DSLR camera you buy will work everything for you by just switching to Auto.

When after you shoot for a longer period and feels like you now want to be a "professional" because your images are great, then go out and buy digital photography books and look at all the FAQ and learn more about f.stops,exposure,flash,Dof, etc., then you will have lots of confidence and switch the dial to manual in your DSLR and continue to learn and shoot at your own time.

Self study is good, you take in all the "knocks' & experience photography as you go along. This is just my own opinion. :)

Hello alot people guessing here. :bsmilie: Hai!! NAFA is offering Visual commucation(Photography) diploma courses, so is LaSelle. If you need a piece of paper to say you are pro. They are it. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.