Photography Rules/Laws in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrasherlife

Sep 12, 2008
Hello All,

I've recently moved to Singapore for a few months on work assignment. I'm not really new to photography but I am new to the rules around here so I thought I should find out what I can and can't shoot before I look like a dumb tourist. I am from the US where you can shoot just about anywhere without restriction, if you could let me know what kind of restrictions I might encounter when shooting that would be great.

Thanks,
Jason

when u see a sign with a camera being crossed, that would mean no picture taking is allowed.

most of these places are in military camps, police camps, concerts, cinemas are some of these places where cameras are not allowed.

Last edited:
You can't take photo in some of the shops too.:(

not only shops.
shopping malls too... the security guard... grrr...

basically on public grounds you can take pictures
on private grounds it will depend on the owners

there is little or no privacy laws in singapore
but some people do not like to be photographed

Hello All,

I've recently moved to Singapore for a few months on work assignment. I'm not really new to photography but I am new to the rules around here so I thought I should find out what I can and can't shoot before I look like a dumb tourist. I am from the US where you can shoot just about anywhere without restriction, if you could let me know what kind of restrictions I might encounter when shooting that would be great.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, I do not think that in the US you can shoot just about anything without restrictions.

In my opinion, the same restrictions apply.

most of these places are in military camps, police camps, concerts, cinemas are some of these places where cameras are not allowed.

And, surprisingly, quite a lot of food courts in shopping centers.

Don't take photos when people say not to take photos. Like gangsters and the such. If they say don't take, then don't take!

Don't take photos when people say not to take photos. Like gangsters and the such. If they say don't take, then don't take!

On the other hand, guns are not so common in Singapore, so if you can run like Usain Bolt...

Back to topic, if you don't look anything like a typical Singaporean, you probably can get away with more. AFAIK there are no obvious things that you cannot take photos of that every local is expected to know.

On the other hand, guns are not so common in Singapore, so if you can run like Usain Bolt...

Back to topic, if you don't look anything like a typical Singaporean, you probably can get away with more. AFAIK there are no obvious things that you cannot take photos of that every local is expected to know.

Even Usain Bolt can't run fast with a backback/slingbag packed full of heavy multi-thousand-dollar camera equipment! :) Esp if you are caught.. Imagine the destruction :bigeyes:

:bsmilie:Anyway, best thing is to use your discretion. If you feel danger, it is probably dangeous. :)

And, surprisingly, quite a lot of food courts in shopping centers.

food courts? but why food courts? :think:

shopping centres can understand but why food courts? :dunno:

ask the people who stop you from shooting, not the one who kenna stopped. :bsmilie:

LOL!! maybe i try it out one day :bsmilie:

lets not OT for now...

Places where camera not allowed:
Military Camps/Installations
Police Stations/Camps
Shopping Malls
Food Courts
Shops
Cinemas
Musuems

food courts? but why food courts? :think:

shopping centres can understand but why food courts? :dunno:

ask the people who stop you from shooting, not the one who kenna stopped. :bsmilie:

Good point, vonlichenstein :) Anyway I notice "no photography" signs at the entrance to some food courts. The only one I can recall for sure right now is the Banquet at 5th (?) level of Eastpoint.

Hey, you're also not allowed to take photos in public transport facilities (mrt, buses, mrt stations, bus interchange etc). I sent an email to SMRT to confirm this.

Hey, you're also not allowed to take photos in public transport facilities (mrt, buses, mrt stations, bus interchange etc). I sent an email to SMRT to confirm this.

Now that you mentioned it, someone posted in another thread saying they were asked by security at a MRT station to delete their photos. I don't recall seeing any signs at the station stating that though.

Now that you mentioned it, someone posted in another thread saying they were asked by security at a MRT station to delete their photos. I don't recall seeing any signs at the station stating that though.

Unfortuntely, security staff usually don't know what they are doing, are are quite overzealous. Usually people with DSLR get targeted. Cameraphones/ PNS will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.