photography reality tv show!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfurr

Jun 20, 2008
hihi, just wanted to give you guys a heads up on this photography reality tv show i came across, dont know whether you guys have heard of it.

its called 'the shot' and i'm 2min 27sec into it and i've seen some damn nice photos already.

'10 amateur photographers the chance to live out their wildest fantasies in pursuit of their ultimate dream: to become the next great fashion photographer.'

anw, you can catch the full episodes here - http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/the_shot/series_videos.jhtml

!! if only singapore had something like that.

I've watched the 1st episode so far.... I knew Fashion Photography was hard, but I didn't know it was that hard :eek:

It's a very interesting watch though.. all getting to see what kind of effort, experience and talent is required for such shoots..

might get flamed for this, but i'm halfway thru ep4 and all i've seen is mediocrity...

the only thing in their defence is that perhaps they're on tv and in the spotlight, which puts them out of their ideal comfort zone to shoot, besides the nervousness and competition.

and this being a reality tv show, most of it is trash, they're either too emotional or too plastic.

perhaps.. that's the fashion world :)

I agree that some of the photos are really not up to standard... but it's interesting how some of them go about to communicate with the models before the shoot. I admit I've already learnt a few tricks in the show.. and I'm only at episode 2.

as with other western photographers i've seen, the constant use of "baby, sweetheart, darling" is offputting to us asians. let alone the hugs and "friendly intimacy".

so if we as asian photographers did that to our asian subjects/models we would usually be in trouble. however, if they did it to our asian models, i'm sure they'd get away with it.

so i'd take the interaction that we see on this REALITY TV show with a huge dose of salt and cyanide. :bsmilie:

i've watched to the end, i must say, there were some touching moments tho. ;)

thanx for sharing the link!

I've just watched episode 4, and how would shoot those models jumping on the trampoline and keeping the hair looking nice??? I think it's next to impossible unless the photographer gets a really lucky shot. OR unless the models gel their hair. ;p

as with other western photographers i've seen, the constant use of "baby, sweetheart, darling" is offputting to us asians. let alone the hugs and "friendly intimacy".

so if we as asian photographers did that to our asian subjects/models we would usually be in trouble. however, if they did it to our asian models, i'm sure they'd get away with it.

so i'd take the interaction that we see on this REALITY TV show with a huge dose of salt and cyanide. :bsmilie:

i've watched to the end, i must say, there were some touching moments tho. ;)

thanx for sharing the link!

Communicate as in directing the models and using props/sets creatively, not calling them sweetheart/darling/babe etc... :bsmilie:
E.g I liked the part where they did the animal shoot. Especially the one of the monkey and the angry looking model :)

Last edited:
I've just watched episode 4, and how would shoot those models jumping on the trampoline and keeping the hair looking nice??? I think it's next to impossible unless the photographer gets a really lucky shot. OR unless the models gel their hair. ;p

yeah i found that episode abit anal on the hair part... but then again this is a HAIR shoot, so they have every right to go ballistic on every strand of hair..... shooting for money that's what happens. ;p

Communicate as in directing the models and using props/sets creatively, not calling them sweetheart/darling/babe etc... :bsmilie:
E.g I liked the part where they did the animal shoot. Especially the one of the monkey and the angry looking model :)

well yes, true, i think alot of the photographers didn't really know what they wanted to do, so that's the basis for all crap, even the instructions will sound confusing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.