photography question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benign

Jan 30, 2004
Melbourne
gallery127599.fotopic.net
:embrass: Can someone help me out with this calculation:

Quite a journey for light to travel and as one would no doubt expects loss of light to the tune of 4 stops occurs.

a) Which meant? full stop or half stops?
b) if the aperture is at f5.6, after 4 stop loss of light? Which aperture is it?
c) Do I have to recalculate the shutter speed as well to compensate the loss of light?

Sorry for the inconvenience :embrass:

a) if it's half-stop, then it'll be a lost of 2 stops isn't it?

b) 5.6, 4, 2.8, 2, 1.4

c) u either compensate by changing the shutter spd or the aperture. doing both means u compensate twice. Unless the aperture doesn't open enough, then u sld compensate through shutter spd.

Benign said:

Quite a journey for light to travel and as one would no doubt expects loss of light to the tune of 4 stops occurs.

b) if the aperture is at f5.6, after 4 stop loss of light? Which aperture is it?
c) Do I have to recalculate the shutter speed as well to compensate the loss of light?

a) full stop.
b) f1.4
c) no.

there are other ways of compensating for the reduced light;

i) reduce shutter speed. by halving the shutter speed every time, you allow twice as much light to enter the camera, thus compensating 1 stop of light. e.g. if your original shutter speed is 1/250 s, a 4-stop compensation is 1/15 s.

ii) increase ISO setting. by doubling the ISO every time, you enable the sensor/film to be twice as sensitive to the light entering the camera, thus compensating 1 stop of light. e.g. if your original ISO setting is 100, a 4-stop compensation is ISO 1600.

Thanks again to foxtwo and zaren :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Lucky I had the doubt cleared up by your two sifus, if not, I would have wasted quite alot of 4x5 sheet films, processing cost and time :embrass:

The equipment in question is a piece of nikon accessories: Speed Magny 45 which can be attached to Nikon F, F2 series.
I just received it this afternoon.....so happy now(pity it came with only double sided ritek film holder).

Now need to hunt for grafmatic film holder liao...... :bigeyes:

wow chio. how much did the 45 back cost ya?

Can you post a picture of the F2 with 45 back? thx! :)

Can you post a picture of the F2 with 45 back? thx!

I will do it when I figure out how to mout the F2 with the 45 back :dunno: Anything mechanical is trivial to me. It took me ages to remove the double sided film back :angry:

The price I paid? Less than $100 lor. Came with original box some more. Condition would be around 8+

Benign said:

5.6 ->8 ->11 ->16 ->22

result will be f22

Benign said:
Err, which way is it? :bsmilie:

I had wanted to respond to this question. But withheld, expecting this confusion to arise.

My reason for not writing earlier? Your question was not clear. I have absolutely no idea what you were asking, or what you were trying to achieve.

user111 said:
5.6 ->8 ->11 ->16 ->22

result will be f22
how do you count f stops. i thought it is a multiple of the previous f stop?

Fluorite said:

The number is double of the the number two stops before....hmm.... i think that doesn't really make sense. maybe writing it out helps..

1.4 -> 2 -> 2.8 -> 4 -> 5.6 -> 8 -> 11 -> 16 -> 22

cool eh?! (haha.. no i didn't discover this by myself). I think this is just the more common scale. I believe there are some cameras that doesn't follow this scale?

Fluorite said:

yes, it is the multiple of approximately 1.4 times the previous f-stop, and rounded to 1 decimal place.

Benign said:

my understanding of the question is;

from c), the issue is one of compensating the loss of light.
from the 1st sentence and b), the lost amount of light to be compensated is 4 stops.

so...

to compensate for the loss of 4 stops of light, an aperture of f5.6 will need to be increased to f1.4 as stated in my previous post.

the multiplying factor is square-root-2. round off will be approx 1.4

as student have pointed out..the question (b) is ambiguous ;)
but the full sequence as listed by mickey is correct

I think it will be easier if Benign clarifies his question and tell us what he was actually trying to do.

Otherwise, a benign question may turn malignant!

from c) we can infer that benign first wants to recalculate the aperture setting to compensate the loss of light.

of course it would be *much* clearer if he had originally written,

"I want to recalculate the aperture setting in my camera to compensate the loss of 4 stops of light. if the aperture is originally at f5.6, what should the new aperture setting be to compensate for the 4-stop loss of light? Do I have to recalculate the shutter speed as well to compensate the loss of light?"

Otherwise, a benign question may turn malignant!

Wah lau eh, my nick or question becoming a fiasco liao..... :flush:

I know I am 'lauyah' at asking question.....but dun get bitchy mah :bsmilie:

Thank you Zaren for doing a 'pro' job on my malignant questions :thumbsup:

Now back to the point, can someone please give a correct answer boh? :mad2:

Benign said:
Wah lau eh, my nick or question becoming a fiasco liao..... :flush:

I know I am 'lauyah' at asking question.....but dun get bitchy mah :bsmilie:

Thank you Zaren for doing a 'pro' job on my malignant questions :thumbsup:

Now back to the point, can someone please give a correct answer boh? :mad2:

the correct answer was already given in posts #2 and #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.