photography on rainy days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatanic

Aug 9, 2007
hi guys...

it's been a while since i logged in here to do some read-ups... been busy improving my photography skills... thanks to the rain that has been pouring for the for past few days i'm stuck at home in front of the computer. anyways...

where do u go improve or do your photography during rainy days... tried indoors locations but it's just too crazy like:

singapore science center - limited light and too many naughty children
singapore discover center - same... limited light and too many naughty children running around
shopping centers - worse....

so where do i go? :dunno:

thanks to the rain that has been pouring for the for past few days i'm stuck at home in front of the computer.
[...]

where do u go improve or do your photography during rainy days... tried indoors locations but it's just too crazy

If you insist on taking pictures indoors, you can do a lot of nifty and educational experiments at home (tabletop, still life, experimenting with lighting).

I don't understand though why you're "stuck" at home because of the rain? One can take lovely outdoor pictures on rainy days, and there are less "naughty children" around.

• Go to the greengrocer and buy some interesting looking pepper(s).
  • Go to the art supply store and buy some rice paper/tracing paper.
  • Go to your wardrobe and look for a black T-shirt.
  • Pin/tape/Blu-Tack your T-shirt to the wall.
  • Use one or two desk lamps and place the rice paper/tracing paper enough to cover the bulb or the florescent tube.
  • Set up your camera on a tripod.
  • Position your pepper(s) on the table, with the black T-shirt as your background, and take a few shots.
  • Experiment with various angles and lightings.
A bit of history here. Photographer Edward Weston photographed a few pepper series and sold them in an auction for a few hundred thousand American dollars each. He was bored at home one day because it was snowing heavily outside. Therefore to past time, he took a few peppers and shot them. You can try different fruits, nuts or vegetables.

Who knows.... you may be the next Edward Weston.;)

Good advise straight from the Jedi Council.:thumbsup::bsmilie:

• Use one or two desk lamps and place the rice paper/tracing paper enough to cover the bulb or the florescent tube.
  • Position your pepper(s) on the table, with the black T-shirt as your background, and take a few shots.
A bit of history here. Photographer Edward Weston photographed a few pepper series and sold them in an auction for a few hundred thousand American dollars each. He was bored at home one day because it was snowing heavily outside. Therefore to past time, he took a few peppers and shot them. You can try different fruits, nuts or vegetables.

when u said pepper,i was wondering .. white pepper .. the grain so small, so hard to shoot.

then I realised. You're talking about capsicans.

DSCN0361.jpg

On a rainy afternoon

how did u manage to not get ur camera wet? u shoot under the shelter?

how did u manage to not get ur camera wet? u shoot under the shelter?

yes of course, there are camera rain coats for sale too
not forgetting the good old trusty umbrella, if you have a white one, can use as a diffuser for your flash too

I duno. Unless it's gona pour all day, I'd just bring an umbrella and go out when I'm in the mood. At the very least you can shoot some storm clouds. Otherwise there are moody swirls over the city, or sun breaking through the cloud cover...and for overcast conditions, the colors do pop out quite a bit more. You probably won't get ideal condition harsh shadows at noon or magic hour textures, but it may be nifty for macros... =p Happy shooting!

sometimes when it rains u can get different perspective that cannot otherwise be gotten in sunny days, so don't just confine yourself to 'fine' weather :D

hold an umbrella and shoot... u can get a different wet perspective in the photos... i shoot in drizzle before..

erm... thought he only managed to sell his photos for a few bucks... only after his death and many years after his death that his photos are worth few hundred thousand bucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.