photography magazines ... do you buy and read any?

kwanhan

Aug 17, 2009
Redhill
recently picked up my first photography magazine as an afterthought... just to see if it helps me learn more...

i bought the DigitalSLR photography (UK edition) @ S$6.90

learnt quite a bit of stuff but found it slightly slightly geared towards complete beginners...

so i was wondering ... any of you buy and read photography magazines?

if so...

1) Which title?
2) Available where?
3) What price?
4) What's interesting?
5) Pitched at what level of readership? (hobbyist... amateur... pro etc etc)

What do the masters and mistresses of photography read here? (can discuss websites too)

Or for you it boils down to shoot more... and some more... :bsmilie:

recently picked up my first photography magazine as an afterthought... just to see if it helps me learn more...

learnt quite a bit of stuff but found it slightly slightly geared towards complete beginners...

if so...

1) Which title?
2) Available where?
3) What price?
4) What's interesting?

What do the masters and mistresses of photography read here? (can discuss websites too)

Reading the same one as you, plus the malaysian digital camera magazine, priced at $6.50. Lots of product reviews and photoshop tips, one good thing is that there are a lot less advertisements as compared to UK magazines, can buy at news stands and Kino.

pick a few. look at the photos. see how they do it...

dun bother picking the ones that do tech talk all day long. i find them not useful. if u get the right mags that teach u how to do certain photography, it helps a lot.

I used to read Practical Photography. However it's too expensive for a student.

They are better because they have a lot about shooting rather than gears and they are usually more for newbies. The things that they have covered, I already know them pretty well.

Usually, go for British magazines and you can't got wrong. They are somehow better in a way that I can't put my finger on and their magazines have less commercial junks than their US counterpart.

Magazines from US are filled with advertising junks. After every article, there will be like 3 pages of advertisements. This seems to be their tradition. From photography magazines to men fashion magazines. Half the magazine are ads.

Still reading Practical Photography.... a UK magazine :think:

pick a few. look at the photos. see how they do it...

dun bother picking the ones that do tech talk all day long. i find them not useful. if u get the right mags that teach u how to do certain photography, it helps a lot.

certain photography... such as?

as in within the magazine i bought it was promoting their own products on a specialized landscape or portrait techniques magazine...

anyone read such stuff?

Digital Camera Malaysia version for few years now. Just started the Digital SLR U.K selling at 7 eleven. Plus got myself B&W photography magazine. Which is quite alright.

I tried shutterbug, a bit wordy and quite a few ads, lol.

I guess I would first see which type of pictures I'm normally into and then choose which heading looks more interesting.

In the end, its more about what you like lahhh. Some like photography magazines that expresses how this so and so lighting is achieved and blah blah. Some like camera magazines that discusses the latest Gazillion Megapixel Camera or the one with the 999.999 frames per second camera, which maybe more for like gear heads? No offence meant here

I mean, I read from both types before and I learnt and picked up stuff from both types before. How to achieve this effect and how and when I should be using that other camera that I didn't buy but should be happy and continue shooting with what I have and make the best out of it. They could be just inspiration ideas if you will.

I guess I will be seeing some of you'll at kino magazine soon, LOL!!

i'll go by kino some day... maybe to buy my books for school too haha

certain photography... such as?

as in within the magazine i bought it was promoting their own products on a specialized landscape or portrait techniques magazine...

anyone read such stuff?

i have 2 from a fellow cser who gave me on landscape photography.

i have one that is more advertising than teaching photography.

i have one last one on the photoshop techniques that could be invoked when doing photography.

the bulk of the content for good mags shld be on photos, tutorials, guides and slightly lesser on the technical aspects.
if all else fails, check out NLB and borrow some books

i used to buy them when i was in uk,

but nowadays singapore very expensive (relatively), so i just borrow from the library. :)

FOC, and quite current, if you take the time to borrow regularly.

if so...

1) Which title?
2) Available where?
3) What price?
4) What's interesting?

i used to buy them when i was in uk,

but nowadays singapore very expensive (relatively), so i just borrow from the library. :)

FOC, and quite current, if you take the time to borrow regularly.

i also, i just bought the oct boook, i read finish le, anyone wanna trade for older versions?

NLB has quite a good selection of magazines. I quite like Amateur Photographer, even though the content is on the skimpy side. That, as well as National Geographic/Asian Geographic, not that the latter two are photographic magazines, but the 3 magazines I listed have quite a great deal of good photos which I 1) love to look at, 2) challenge myself to wonder how the shot was taken, 3) inspire myself to go out and shoot. :)

oh yah totally forgot about libraries... good thing I stay near one :)

thx all

I sometimes buy one at the airport and read it on the lane to help me pass the time. Then I sleep and dream of all the places I could go and take pictures like those in the magazines.

Reading the same one as you, plus the malaysian digital camera magazine, priced at $6.50. Lots of product reviews and photoshop tips, one good thing is that there are a lot less advertisements as compared to UK magazines, can buy at news stands and Kino.

Same mag I am reading now....

The october issue of digital camera magazine($6.50 one) comes with a copy Canon lens guide, with a bit of photography basics at the start(focal length, aperture, etc...) and a lens guide for 20 lenses at the back anyone interested can go get. However, its the same as the one given in a previous issue though. I have 2 copies, not a Canon user so giving it away, anyone want?