Photography inside buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
LordAeRo said:
Because it's not a public place?

pretend to be tourist and snap away?

redstone said:
What's the big deal?

Can't shoot inside buildings like shopping malls, office lobbies (shoot the sheer grandeur of Parkview Square)....

Why can't shoot?

it's all because of security..!

since the 911 incident security all over the world has tightened up. The building management is mainly afraid of the 'potential weaknesses' of the building, say for eg: location of detonating bombs and etc. Whereby IF these photos happened to be circulated all over the places, some bad intention pple might make use of the photos for such reason(s)..

Get the idea now??

So if u really wanna shoot at ur mentioned places.. it's better to write a letter to request for their permission.. telling them the reason why u wanna shoot at their building(s).

Long before 911, all building are not allow to take any photograph without any written permission, regardless is inside or at outside, reason is all building are property belong to private or the state.

If you behave like a tourist just snap a few shots, the security may just close one eye and let you go. They have every right to stop you from taking pictures or hand you to the police.

But if anyone insist that he/she has a right take the pictures whenever he/she is please, the best way and the simplest is to own the building.

Was with two others photogs at the Espalande tonight and was stopped for the first time by a CISCO guard who tried the usual bullshit line about the building being copyrighted. Told him that this wasn't a commercial shoot so he couldn't stop me - he went and got three others but we insisted that we were doing nothing unlawful. In the end the chief security guard told me he had asked the management and approved our being there as long as we gave our names and contact numbers. We did and carried on shooting.

Wonder if anything will come of it? All this time people were shooting the artwork inside -now that must be copyrighted and I pointed this out to them but they did nothing. Think it must be tripod discrimination.

Going to lodge a complaint about guards behaviour in the morning and seek clarification from Esplanade management about this issue.

Phildate said:
Was with two others photogs at the Espalande tonight and was stopped for the first time by a CISCO guard who tried the usual bullshit line about the building being copyrighted. Told him that this wasn't a commercial shoot so he couldn't stop me - he went and got three others but we insisted that we were doing nothing unlawful. In the end the chief security guard told me he had asked the management and approved our being there as long as we gave our names and contact numbers. We did and carried on shooting.

Wonder if anything will come of it? All this time people were shooting the artwork inside -now that must be copyrighted and I pointed this out to them but they did nothing. Think it must be tripod discrimination.

Going to lodge a complaint about guards behaviour in the morning and seek clarification from Esplanade management about this issue.
I've spoken with the Esplanade security officer before (the officer was a photographer last time), and he told me that as long as you're shooting the exhibitions, you are okay to shoot. Just don't shoot the pillars or whatsoever, and it doesn't matter if you're using a DSLR or a PnS. No approval is required unless you're doing commercial shoots

Even I stand outside the construction site, I been question. I told the ah neh that I took for fun and he LL. If I want to spy, I will be the most stupid spy standing at the main and take photos. Sometime I think those security need a brain or two to think. No offend.

BBTM said:
Even I stand outside the construction site, I been question. I told the ah neh that I took for fun and he LL. If I want to spy, I will be the most stupid spy standing at the main and take photos. Sometime I think those security need a brain or two to think. No offend.

mayb he work illegally, not certified 1?:nono: Police!! *dials 999* :bsmilie:

dont take pictures of me cuz my mother made me so she own the copyright and if u want, u need to obtain permission from my mom..

Clown said:
dont take pictures of me cuz my mother made me so she own the copyright and if u want, u need to obtain permission from my mom..

stop clowning around lah James :bsmilie:

Taking a photograph of an artistic work on public display does not infringe the copyright in the artistic work. Don't listen to those copyright crap conjured up by the security guards - they are famous for making their own laws. In fact, other than Parliament, they are probably the second largest body of "law makers" :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Phildate said:

Actually I think the moment you take a camera out.... you will very soon find someone (normally security guard) walking towards you.

I have been detained for taking photos of colonial houses by the police (The houses happened to be rented out to US servicemen which I didnt know about)

I have had Prada sales staff come out of the shop at Paragon and stand in front of me blocking my camera telling me no photos just because I was 10 m away on the public pavement holding a compact camera pointed in their direction. (I was taking a photo for a foreign friend who wanted to show that she has been to Orchard)

I have even gone to make a police report to report a found wallet and have the police search my bag and then say that they would have to detain my camera and return it to me when I leave the building. (For security reasons which I understand)

In short.... its something that we have to get used to I guess. These people do have every right to stop us as they have a job to do. And its not only about whether you are a terrorist. One amicable way of settling it could be to discuss nicely with the management and then arranging for a day when you have made an appointment and the security have been informed of you visit to take the photos in peace. No point arguing with the guard about copyrights and such. Firstly he or she doesnt know what you are talking about, secondly he or she doesn't care, you are standing in their property and their orders are to protect it both physically and visually. Both parties move back one step, Im sure things can be worked out.

The problem is when you don't stand up for your rights, taking advantage becomes the norm, and soon, these people get to do what they are not originally supposed to.

Take the example of photography contests - people keep quiet, think that they have to live with it, and soon, these terms become standard, and in the end, the victims got a raw
deal and have to live with it, simply because the first few victims didn't want to stand up.

Not all of these people "doing their job" are justified to do whatever they please just to get their job done - they must have legitimate right in the first place - an assassin also has a job to do.

By the way, I usually just ask the guard to bring his manager to see me if I think his actions are unjustified :)

centuryegg said:
Actually I think the moment you take a camera out.... you will very soon find someone (normally security guard) walking towards you.

I have been detained for taking photos of colonial houses by the police (The houses happened to be rented out US servicemen)

I have had Prada sales staff come out of the shop at Paragon and stand in front of me blocking my camera telling me no photos just because I was 10 m away on the public pavement holding a compact camera pointed in their direction. (I was taking a photo for a foreign friend who wanted to show that she has been to Orchard)

I have even gone to make a police report to report a found wallet and have the police search my bag and then say that they would have to detain my camera and return it to me when I leave the building.

In short.... its something that we have to get used to I guess. These people do have every right to stop us as they have a job to do. And its not only about whether you are a terrorist. One amicable way of settling it could be to discuss nicely with the management and then arranging for a day when you have made an appointment and the security have been informed of you visit to take the photos in peace. No point arguing with the guard about copyrights and such. Firstly he or she doesnt know what you are talking about, secondly he or she doesn't care, you are standing in their property and their orders are to protect it both physically and visually. Both parties move back one step, Im sure things can be worked out.

centuryegg said:

I have been detained for taking photos of colonial houses by the police (The houses happened to be rented out to US servicemen which I didnt know about)

I have even gone to make a police report to report a found wallet and have the police search my bag and then say that they would have to detain my camera and return it to me when I leave the building. (For security reasons which I understand)

Colonial houses at where?
I've shot at various areas like Sembawang, Alexandra. Luckily nothing happened to me.

redstone said:
I've shot at various areas like Sembawang, Alexandra. Luckily nothing happened to me.

Prada staff telling you on public grounds?I'll give them a piece of my mind instead.

redstone said:

The black and white houses down Sembawang road... If my sense of direction is not wrong, its about 1 km away from Sembawang naval base entrance. I dont know why I was stopped too! haha I dont belong to "group" that are profiled as likely terrorist, I was with a female colleague. Anyway although I was detained, the police were very polite. They explained that the houses are rented out to US servicemen hence its abit sensitive. I said but there are no signs to say no photo taking. But anyway I just erased the photos in front of them and they let me go after checking our IC numbers with HQ to make sure we are not on some list.... haha haha

Well, just dont stop shooting until they chase you away. That's what I do most of the time.

Shooting from outside is generally OK, as long as the building is not on the 'sensitive building' list. Shooting inside a private building (shopping malls and offices included) is only possible with the permission of the owner. Even a friend who visits your house will ask you for permission to shoot inside. That's minimum courtesy. MRT stations are owned by MRT corp, that's private, too!

hazmee said:
Well, just dont stop shooting until they chase you away. That's what I do most of the time.

Hey, I do that too. Enter a building, see no guard start shooting immediately. Don't admire the place first. When someone stops you, act blur say you didn't know shooting isn't allowed and walk off. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.