photography in winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any particular type of negative film I should be using for winter climate photography?

Not sure if my F80 will be affected in cold temperatures. I remember my p&s camera gave me some foggy pictures the last time I used it where temperature was ard -3 degrees C. Any advice on this too?

batteries! batteries drain fast in cold weather. keep them warm all the time.

as for film, any kind will do. but i think ISO 100 or 200 for snow scenery. :dunno: me never go cold country before, except for HK during rainy season.

get a ziploc bag! whenever you go from outdoor to indoor (or warmer places), put your camera in the air-tight bag, squeze the air out and seal it, this will prevent the water vapor in the air from condensing on your lens..

as mervlam said, batteries drain real fast, try to keep them in your inner pockets...

let your camera get use tothe temp 1st b4 shooting.. else if u bring in and out warm and cold place sure got fog.
yup batt are a definate:rbounce: must.. depends on how cold you going... oh if you going to shoot in snow, remember to compensate..
best is to take reading off a grey card...

well this is wat i read in a photo mag abt shooting in snow...
hope it helps...

just my 1¢ worth

My F80 when through the winter of UK at -5 degrees C b4 it work fine.
What I normally did is to give the camera about 2-3 min to adapt the surrounding temperature (esp from indoor to outdoor or the other way round). Cos vapor might condense on the glass.
And when your batteries on the camera read flat, don't throw it away (esp if you know you only taken less then 4 rolls with it). Keep it in the camera bag. The voltage will regain back to normal when it is warm again. So normally I rotate between 2 sets of batteries and at least 1 spare sets everyday.
Lastly, I normally don't expose the camera to the cold for very long, I normally zip it inside my jacket infront of me (still able to have easy and fast access) or keep inside my camera bag if I notice the walkpath become too Icy. Which I rather lose a shot or two then to lose my balance and break my F80.
Lastly, bring a small P&S just in case.
Hope these help.

Originally posted by Trevor_Tan
...give the camera about 2-3 min to adapt the surrounding temperature (esp from indoor to outdoor or the other way round). Cos vapor might condense on the glass.

may i ask how exactly do you let the camera "adapt" to the temperature? does it mean not to go from two places with extreme temperatures (like from snow into the gift shop), but to stay in the snow wif the camera tug inside your jacket for a while to get that 'mid temperature' before going into the gift-shop?? or what's the procedure? thanks!

the zip-lock bag idea sounds good. thx for the great tip.
and the grey card thingy too.... how much grey? 18% b/w I read somewhere? Do camaera or processing shop sell such a card?

any other tips from above?

I went up to whistler with my D60. It was -3 and snowing heavily. Camera got wet and covered in water but it operated fine. Of course end of the day, dry wipe down on all equipement.

PS: A lens hood is most useful when snowing...:)

Originally posted by Java_Guru
I went up to whistler with my D60. It was -3 and snowing heavily. Camera got wet and covered in water but it operated fine. Of course end of the day, dry wipe down on all equipement.

PS: A lens hood is most useful when snowing...:)

I like to offer a tip I usually do when I take photos in rainy or snowing situation.

Put camera in a clear plastic bag and cut a hole for the lens opening. Use the filter to tightem the plastic bag to the camera.

It works for me countless time.

Hi there,

Im going away to a winter country too and currently using a
A40 canon camera

Is A40 sufficient to produce same quality pixs in cold temperatures ? Any different in using digicam in cold conditions ?

any other advice besides the above posts ?

apologies if my questions are 'noob' :(

Originally posted by kristlbel
Any particular type of negative film I should be using for winter climate photography?

Not sure if my F80 will be affected in cold temperatures. I remember my p&s camera gave me some foggy pictures the last time I used it where temperature was ard -3 degrees C. Any advice on this too?

i been to winter country ( Korea 2001 ) in 2 deg ... with my F80. It was pretty okay :D but remember to keep your battery warm so that it won't KO under cold condition.

I heard from some experts that Nikon cameras should be able to go as low as -20 deg.

as for the negative, reala and normal fuji film ( ISO 200 ) are fine
i would recommend reala as the colour turn out nice but pretty expensive for reala film. ( $6.80 per roll )

Originally posted by Trevor_Tan
My F80 when through the winter of UK at -5 degrees C b4 it work fine.
What I normally did is to give the camera about 2-3 min to adapt the surrounding temperature (esp from indoor to outdoor or the other way round). Cos vapor might condense on the glass.

any noticable change in temp will causes a fog ( just like your spec or glass if they switch from cold to warm ... etc )

same for the lenses... so just need to wait awhile or you can carry some lens cloth to wipe the 'vapour' sometimes it does help a bit :D

honestly,

I was at -5 to -15 places in Japan and canada. Was using Li-ion batteries and it just works normal w/o the battery flat effect.

Shooting abt 12 rolls of film each though.

The 1 thing u need to worry abt is that the camera might malfunction under cold temp, so just get a backup camera, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.