Photography In Winter

kenly

Jun 14, 2012
Singapore
Hi, does anyone experience photograpy in winter (maybe 0 degree & below) using OMD with Pana 12-35 len?
Hopefully can gather some advice & precaution, many tks. :)

kenly said:
Hi, does anyone experience photograpy in winter (maybe 0 degree & below) using OMD with Pana 12-35 len?

None needed! It's weatherproof!! Haha!!

Ok seriously, only thing u really need to worry abt is to get a filter. This so that when Ur lens fog up going from cold to warm place, u only need to clean your filter n not Ur lens element. Secondly, do not put the camera in extended periods in the snow.

Agree with Oly5050, you need to keep the body of your camera warm else it might temporary mulfunction due to the extreme temperature.
You could do that by wrapping your wool scarf around its body while taking photo outdoor.

Huney said:
Agree with Oly5050, you need to keep the body of your camera warm else it might temporary mulfunction due to the extreme temperature.
You could do that by wrapping your wool scarf around its body while taking photo outdoor.

It should not experience any malfunction. At worst you may find battery life to be shorter than what you are used to due to the extreme cold.

kenly said:

Hi ,

Just came back from Seoul. Experienced below 0 degree ls shooting for around a week and Had a bad day with rain pouring down and totally drenching my EP3 body. To my surprise , it survived with perfectly no malfunctions and its not even advertised to be weather sealed so I'm pretty sure the weather sealed OMD should do even better.

I thought you wouldn't want to keep it warm so that it wouldn't fog when you take it out?

From what I understand, it's the batteries you need to keep warm.

Dun forget gloves. Gloves with removable tips for index n thumb would be good. Frozen hands means u cannot even hold the body firmly.

I thought you wouldn't want to keep it warm so that it wouldn't fog when you take it out?

Yup..you are right about the batts.
But, for the glass, warm is good. Warm glass do not fog up. Only cold glass. So problem usually only occurs when you go from cold to warm.

Hi ,

Just came back from Seoul. Experienced below 0 degree ls shooting for around a week and Had a bad day with rain pouring down and totally drenching my EP3 body. To my surprise , it survived with perfectly no malfunctions and its not even advertised to be weather sealed so I'm pretty sure the weather sealed OMD should do even better.

Hi, thanks for your advice, hopefully my OMD will work fine.

no need to worry, I have been shooting below -10degC for the past few days(day, night, strong winds, snow)...it's a handy & sturdy all weather camera. the HLD-6 makes it easier to shoot when u wear gloves

Hi Shadowoflight,

Perhaps I should clarify myself. Using woolen stuff like scarf could help to keep the batteries "not fozen" (which are inside the camera body) hence mulfunction of the camera (due to the frozen batteries) will not happen.

From what I've heard (never been to countries with snow before), you got to keep it as close to your body. Since in physics, stuff like blankets help to keep things their temperature, but will still eventually balance out to the surrounding temperature. Keep a battery in a wool scarf for 24 hrs in a snow, the battery would still freeze. Keep it next to your body, it should remain warm. My thoughts on this

Dosent matter OMD or compact camera or DSLR.

They are made to withstand the winter. (if they decided to fail on you..anytime they will. No need to be winter. Really!)

Dont worry, shoot and enjoy your holiday. :cool:

I don't really enjoy shooting that cold. Not that cold just about -10oC, but the wind and snow beating on your face, no fun haha.
Where you are going is considered mild if it's only 0 and below, i assume not <-10oC?
Cameras are designed easily for this conditions, especially by Japaneses engineers, not tropical-minded engineer :)

1. Bring some heat pads, can buy cheap cheap from Daiso : ) can keep your hands warm, feets warm, and camera bag compartment warm (not direct to camera)
2. Do bring spare batteries, and spare charger if you have, coz it take coouple of hours per battery.
3. Daiso also sell a shoe sole warmer, works for me.
4. Your bag should be water proof as well, as sometimes when you are outdoor, you can see foresee when snow can come, and sometimes very fast matter of minutes, and in snow conditions, don't expect to be running. So a well padded bag is good in case you fall down...
5. If free and easy, check weather forecast for snow storm. plan for indoor activities if so.
6. Do bump up your exposure to at least +0.7 or +1EV if you are shooting snow.
7. If you have 2 bodies, do consider bring it, one for UWA, one for tele/primes, it's very hard to change lenses especially if bad weather or winds. I used 2 Pen bodies, which got rained on and snowed, totally caught unaware, but keeping them under jacket and clean away the snow/rain asap.

Most importantly, have fun!

one more thread just by doing a search from the top right search box

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newb...amera-winter-time-im-going-japan-wk-time.html

Dosent matter OMD or compact camera or DSLR.

They are made to withstand the winter. (if they decided to fail on you..anytime they will. No need to be winter. Really!)

Dont worry, shoot and enjoy your holiday. :cool:

Hi, touch the wood :), hope it will not fail during my winter trip, ha... Tks.

I don't really enjoy shooting that cold. Not that cold just about -10oC, but the wind and snow beating on your face, no fun haha.
Where you are going is considered mild if it's only 0 and below, i assume not <-10oC?
Cameras are designed easily for this conditions, especially by Japaneses engineers, not tropical-minded engineer :)

1. Bring some heat pads, can buy cheap cheap from Daiso : ) can keep your hands warm, feets warm, and camera bag compartment warm (not direct to camera)
2. Do bring spare batteries, and spare charger if you have, coz it take coouple of hours per battery.
3. Daiso also sell a shoe sole warmer, works for me.
4. Your bag should be water proof as well, as sometimes when you are outdoor, you can see foresee when snow can come, and sometimes very fast matter of minutes, and in snow conditions, don't expect to be running. So a well padded bag is good in case you fall down...
5. If free and easy, check weather forecast for snow storm. plan for indoor activities if so.
6. Do bump up your exposure to at least +0.7 or +1EV if you are shooting snow.
7. If you have 2 bodies, do consider bring it, one for UWA, one for tele/primes, it's very hard to change lenses especially if bad weather or winds. I used 2 Pen bodies, which got rained on and snowed, totally caught unaware, but keeping them under jacket and clean away the snow/rain asap.

Most importantly, have fun!

one more thread just by doing a search from the top right search box

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newb...amera-winter-time-im-going-japan-wk-time.html

Hi Wonglp, thks for the useful tips and lobang to get those stuff. Merry X'mas. :)

Hi, touch the wood :), hope it will not fail during my winter trip, ha... Tks.

lol. dont get me wrong. :) I'm pretty sure it will be ok. Just adding another line. The camera MAY be abit "retarded" or slow sometimes due to coldness. So..dont panic ok.
yea.. enjoy your trip :)

I do not have the setup you have. Abt 3 yrs ago, i went to Beijing in winter, climbed the Great Wall. Was about -10c with strong wind. I hung my E-P1 with the zoom kit lens on my neck. No protection or whatever. Not even in my coat. No problems using it, manage to get 200+ shots on one battery with some power left. I am pretty confident that your OM-D should be ok too. Not sure abt your lens thou.

What you should be more concern (i think) is how do you protect your fingers. Your joints will be painful in cold. If you do not have a good pair of gloves, try going to those outdoor or travel shop to get a glove that is thin yet able to keep some warmth, so that you can use your camera easily.

Last edited: