photography in myanmar, yangon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesser

Dec 28, 2002
Serangoon
www.jesserswork.com.sg
hi,

i'm wish to plan a photography trip to myanmar, yangon in april during the water festival. anyone can share some infor to travel up there during this season? easy for photography?
or anyone interested to go up there also?
thanks in advance.

jesser
;)

wouldn't say i've been to myanmar (just crossed the border to talichek), but from what i heard from pple down the road, they all say myanmar is lovely and rustic, and the people friendly. i've visited thailand during their water fest. (songkran), and it was chaotic but a lot of fun. there's a lot of photo opportunities everywhere.

being a foreigner then was like drawing a bullseye on myself, and i was wet throughout the few days. so go with some form of waterproofing for your precious gear... my best advice though, would be to not just focus on taking pictures all the time, and just let your hair down and enjoy the festival.

hope you'll have good travels :p

Hmm...crossed the border to tachilek? That's what i have in mind....

And you stayed in Tachilek after that?

Not advisable to go during Water Festival if your intension is to take photos. Unless you are willing to risk your equipment getting wet. Splashing water during th festival is considered to be good luck ... you not suppose to get angry even if you are splashed.

Nobody get preferred treatment ... everyone gets splashed. And since they do not know how valuable your equipment is, they will also not be aware to not splash you .... Of course you can stay in a car ... have the window rolled up and take photos from the inside of a car ....

But overall, it is very different from the Water Festival in Thailand ... a lot more festive feel and people really take the opportunity to enjoy themselves during this time ....

RGDs

ah seng, i returned to chiang rai after talichek... coz my plans was to go laos.

anyway, long thai bean is right. it does get messy when you're holding a camera and people charge on you with cups of water and water guns. i had to be extremely careful and once i spot someone with the kind intentions of "watering" me down, i quickly keep my camera in my bag... (lowepro aw tech. proven to work here=)

public transports were not spared too. someone threw water into the moving train and i got wet... but i also had the chance to splash water at pple in tuktuks and buses :bsmilie: but i can't guarantee things will be that chaotic in myanmar though...

its rude to refuse their (water) blessing, so go get wet, have fun and take care of your camera!

Thank for all the inputs......well, trip is not firm as i'm looking for kaki.....anyone interested?;) ......my intention is to visit the temples over there and some street photography. if during water festival is kind of messy to do photo shoot, then can go up after their NEW YEAR which is after 17-04-06.:think:

jesser said:
Thank for all the inputs......well, trip is not firm as i'm looking for kaki.....anyone interested?;) ......my intention is to visit the temples over there and some street photography. if during water festival is kind of messy to do photo shoot, then can go up after their NEW YEAR which is after 17-04-06.:think:

Myanmar is really a nice place with friendly people and of course with hooligans too. Especially in Chinatown. I have a friend who owns a coffee shop there and told me fights broke out easily between gangs and he is one those trouble maker too.Its better to go in a group and take good care of expensive equipment. I was there few years ago shooting from Yangon all the way north to Shan State near China. To me the city is just like another city in India which is dirty, crowded, some touts and conman here and there targeting tourist. That's the beauty anyway.

During then, my initial application for visa was declined because I am a photographer but second application was approved as I put myself as something else. Too much red tape in Myanmar as they are under army ruling and declined all publicities as far as I know. I was even told not to bring too much lenses due to their custom check which is very tight.

Things could have changed hell lot by now in the city of Yangon.

LucidaM said:
During then, my initial application for visa was declined because I am a photographer but second application was approved as I put myself as something else. Too much red tape in Myanmar as they are under army ruling and declined all publicities as far as I know. I was even told not to bring too much lenses due to their custom check which is very tight.

Things could have changed hell lot by now in the city of Yangon.

Things has changed a bit, but not too much ....
1) You will still be denied a visa if you put in your application any form of occupation related to the media.
2) The governmant in Myanmar still shun all forms of publicities, except those released by them
3) You can tak photos of anythignin the country except the police, the army or any government related people
4) They are very relaxed about photogs with big lenses or many lenses ... not an issue now

Other than that, the country is very rustic and very beautiful ... i have shot on many occasions in Myanmar and will still go back to shoot when the opportunity arises ...

RGDs

Would love to shoot the water festival in myanmar but alas, this year cannot :(
Had a fun time in Songkran in Thailand though :)
Not only do you get sprayed at
F1000024w.jpg

You get smeared at... ;)
F1000014w.jpg

jesser said:
Thank for all the inputs......well, trip is not firm as i'm looking for kaki.....anyone interested? ......my intention is to visit the temples over there and some street photography. if during water festival is kind of messy to do photo shoot, then can go up after their NEW YEAR which is after 17-04-06.

I'm looking for a kaki to make a trip up to yangon in May.... dated on 18th to 21st.
mainly will be visiting the temples and the reclining buddha figure and streets photography.
as this is my first trip there so dun wish to go alone. Do pm me.;)

Hosea said:
The best time to visit Myanmar is Feb and October.:)

yes, i believes April to June is hot season there in Myanmar.
So instead of going in a package tour, I choose to be a free and easy trip.
Got leaves to burn so wish to go some place kind of not so busy type.
Just want to take a rest, completely on my own time......or else I had choose to go with my family during the june school holidays.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.