Photography in low-light conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow

Apr 5, 2005
Bedok
leeqhgr.fotopages.com
Photography newbie here....Seem to have some problems with low-light photography recently could you all pls help?With the f-stop value reduced to a minimal and matching shutter speed i still can't seem to capture moving images under low-light conditions as i was photographing this dance and alot of these photos still turn out blur(due to fast dance movement)....Apart from flash,what other alternatives could i possibly use?Can anyone pls help me with this???thank you all in advance:D

erm, the only few methods/alternatives i know of...
1) pump up your iso, maybe go up to iso 800?
2) smaller f number (dependable on lenses)
3) external flash (internal flash is quite useless if the lighting is really really bad...)

thats more or less whatever i know le... not that pro too... :)
maybe some other pp can help ba..

p.s. do a search 1st too okie? i think this qn has been answered b4.

~Arcanic~ said:
erm, the only few methods/alternatives i know of...
1) pump up your iso, maybe go up to iso 800?
2) smaller f number (dependable on lenses)
3) external flash (internal flash is quite useless if the lighting is really really bad...)

thats more or less whatever i know le... not that pro too... :)
maybe some other pp can help ba..

p.s. do a search 1st too okie? i think this qn has been answered b4.

4) Fast wider angle lens & move closer to subject
5) panning
6) focus on subject/dancer that move less. Like that at least got one dancer in focus while other blur show movement.
7) Don't use flash, use portable fluorescent lamp, cylum (spelling??) stick, other light source :) if there is no objection

Me giving newbie option only :)

more expensive option is to buy VR or IS lenses. can go down to 3 stops for you to handhold but i won't stop your subject from moving.

get a better lens... which u can set your F-stop as low as possible... cos from wat u say... taking photo when watching ppl dancing... i don think u want to use a flash right?? or they don allow...

A cheap option is to use a 50 mm or 85 mm lens f1.8. Use the human legs to zoom up to subject.

key thing is that you want as fast a shutter speed as possible to avoid motion blur. to get that faster shutter speed, you'll need to compromise on aperture/ISO/lighting. tripod and IS won't really help in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.