Photography in China

bikeking

Apr 30, 2009
KL, Malaysia
Will be traveling to China end of the month and I have been told many times over that carrying too many camera gears in China streets can be quite risky as there are prime groups that target phographers with high end gears and would rob them. What is your thought on this?

Some photograph of China.
Colin00009.jpg
daypic0312_615-615x440.jpg

china1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------
Kerastase
Kerastase Reflection

Will be traveling to China end of the month and I have been told many times over that carrying too many camera gears in China streets can be quite risky as there are prime groups that target phographers with high end gears and would rob them. What is your thought on this?

its true ! last week 100 tourists from singapore were bitten up by prime groups - and sent back home for paranoid over tofu

The mainland Chinese may push, shove, smoke and spit. But unlike many European and American cities, you will not be robbed at gunpoint or knifepoint. Your belongings are also much less likely to be stolen.

Such a thing should not happen,If be robbed, will any people go to China ?

I've been to China many times. Such a big country, you should not generalise that wherever you walk, you will be robbed.

Been to china for 10 years , no such things, but listen to your tour guide, take his advice.

Where are you going and who are you going with? i.e. tour group? backpacking alone etc?

they look at yr gears..yes..but they don't rob..(maybe bad luck or walking alone into a dark alley at some seedy area of the town)

but they don't really like their photos taken..so either go streetstyle or zoom.

Just like in any place, take care of your stuff, keep your eyes open. Make some friends over your smiles and try to spend time to communicate. I have seen people chasing others for a shot not caring about others feeling (sorry to hear them speak Singlish like I do). Not everyone wants to have their picture taken by strangers. Show respect and common sense and you should be respected. Respect is reciprocal. Sometimes we get in more trouble by not controlling our big mouths. Other countries is not Singapore and all the things that we do or have in Singapore is (are) not the best neither best liked by others. Try to blend into people's way of life. Happy shooting..... post your pictures and let us know if you are able to make it back with your equipment.

I was at Beijing last month with D700 + AFS17-35....not very high end that's why nothing happened :lovegrin:

I have been to Beijing, Tianjin, Wuhan, Chongqing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Shenzhen with my camera gears for past 5 years and did not even see any suspicious ppl lurking around me. Most of the time alone. Please do not 疑神疑鬼。

Only rich ppl like my boss will tell me stories that ppl snatch your bags and handphones even inside the restaurants.

Rule of thumb is as follows:

Go crowded places
Have 1-2 friends with you if you go less populated areas
Attraction places is quite safe
Do not wear expensive jewellery and show-off
Keep out of narrow alleys especially during night time

Actually it is same advise wherever you go :bsmilie:

....... carrying too many camera gears in China streets can be quite risky.......

define what is too many gear?

for sure, your gear could well end up stolen if you are careless about leaving your stuff unattended ......... it happens EVERY COUNTRY, use the normal precautions ........ but getting robbed is highly unlikely

Many thanks for all the advices, will keep watch and be alert around me when I am there hence perhaps will post some pictures when I get back. cheers!:)

Ha ha ha, you guys all behind time. Nowadays, in China, the Chinese carry more expensive cameras then us. Better to rob them then us. All you need is to be careful.

My feel is that the more gears or the bigger the gears you carry, the more they will leave you alone. They probably will look at your gears and be amazed! :bsmilie::sweatsm:

Chinese people are nice people :heart:

Ha ha ha, you guys all behind time. Nowadays, in China, the Chinese carry more expensive cameras then us. Better to rob them then us. All you need is to be careful.

Ha ha, true to some extend.
Yes always stay alert, as you should do at any other places in the world.

It is somehow, easier to be 'steal' than being 'snatch'.
Be careful with your phone and wallet.

My friend get stolen his small compact cam in his jeans front pocket, in Shenzhen.

Just be careful and alert. In any places.

actually the Whole world is dangerous....even orchard also ganna flood liao....where is safe??

I have a Malaysian fren who got rob driving a singapore car.....IN SINGAPORE.....the whole car was hijacked.....but lucky the police found the car deserted somewhere...

so moral of the story....

stay at home the best and get a gun license....dun go out....shoot whoever is coming thru the door.....that should be safe enough....

Last edited:

I went there months ago and was rather safe I feel...anyway, I think some Chinese over there use more expensive equipment than I do...;p
I even passed my cam to a Rickshaw puller to help me take photos...very nice guy... anywhere there's danger, no nid to hide in home...

Enough of wisdom from travelers - use your "blain"; and don't "pray, pray". Being "common" has its advantage - but if want to be "ferrari-like"; also can, but beware lor. Nothing beats being sensible with your stuff - look, left, right, centre; just like crossing street. O, do look down on the floor before moving - did you drop your wallet; left behind a bag; or your lens which you just changed? Can happen! Learn the "habit"! I didn't learn it well enough, and lost my Samsung pocket camcorder in Navy Open House - "Lost and Found" reported; but no one ever calls. You think they will? Dream on.