Photography Hong Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

juchua

Jul 14, 2006
Hi guys, not sure if i've posted in the correct place, if there anyone can advise for good photography spot in HK? Would like to capture scene from Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre and also Victoria harbour. Any nice spot to go where i can capture the Convention center?

avenue of stars for hong kong convention center, but might want to bring slight telephoto, as well as wide angle
in the day you might meet with haze, hong kong is perpetually hazey, but sometimes you do get a clear view

you might want to see my thread on hong kong shenzhen earlier this year here for some rough ideas on touristy areas which are more photo friendly, with regards to scenic, but note that hong kong possibly has better locations, i went with non-photographers so was quite limited in terms of location. do let me know if you need any info regarding some of the places that i went to, i hope i can help if needed, memory not very fresh already

this is your convention centre area from avenue of stars, around sunset timing

627283571_8c683110f1_o.jpg

might consider going from about sunset to night-time, in my view, hong kong night scene is very nice from avenue of stars, have not explored other location however. oh yeah, victoria peak is not too bad too, but just very very cliched, only so much composition you can do there

victoria harbour area at night

627249657_307cb27367_o.jpg

in any case, one good way to see/think of good locations , as well as finding out is flickr (like this, just simple search will do, most photographers there are more than willing to share if you ask way in advance, for example i got some suggestions for scenic from this very helpful guy VJ Spectra, i just happily dropped him a msg through flickr mail because he seems to be based there, do take time to browse through his hk photos if you have the time , they are very well taken (along with other places he's been to, i think film user iirc).. he sent me a list of things/places to go, etc; but unfortunately was not able to meet it, from his hk photos i guess there are a few locations that are pretty good

the qing ma bridge apparently very photogenic at night,
here and here; take note that not very accessible unless by taxi/car, which is why i didn't get to go

i particuarly liked the lantau island area, but it probably might look a lot better in ir than in normal photo, not sure

actually when you're in hong kong get their tourist guide asap, it is very useful, can decide there and then how to go, a lot of the locations are actually easily accessible via the mtr line, which resembles our mrt very much, pricing is reasonable considering

cheers! and have fun

Ya the Avenue of stars is a must go even if you dont take photos:bsmilie: 8 PM is the laser show IMHO so so only la but the nite scene there is simply breath Taking!!! I went there around 430pm to take day shot, HAZY!!! then sunset but the sun is actually setting way too much to the right side of the city skyline.... more like 120 deg to your right from the city skyline of Hong Kong island so not that great, then set tripod at the viewing gallery near the end of the walk towards your right. Very beautiful :lovegrin: Enjoy your trip and on the way can buy your gears there too it is so much cheaper there then in SIN. Please do your home work first and dont be a carrot head :sweat:

If you want nice shots of Victoria Harbour, try going to HongKong MarcoPolo hotel.
Go to 6th Floor, walk out to the open-air carpark.

very gd view of the harbour and less people than Avenue of Stars. ;)
the only bad thing is, if happens that there;s a cruise ship parked there, then the view will be blocked. :dunno:

avenue of stars for hong kong convention center, but might want to bring slight telephoto, as well as wide angle
in the day you might meet with haze, hong kong is perpetually hazey, but sometimes you do get a clear view

you might want to see my thread on hong kong shenzhen earlier this year here for some rough ideas on touristy areas which are more photo friendly, with regards to scenic, but note that hong kong possibly has better locations, i went with non-photographers so was quite limited in terms of location. do let me know if you need any info regarding some of the places that i went to, i hope i can help if needed, memory not very fresh already

this is your convention centre area from avenue of stars, around sunset timing

627283571_8c683110f1_o.jpg

might consider going from about sunset to night-time, in my view, hong kong night scene is very nice from avenue of stars, have not explored other location however. oh yeah, victoria peak is not too bad too, but just very very cliched, only so much composition you can do there

victoria harbour area at night

627249657_307cb27367_o.jpg

in any case, one good way to see/think of good locations , as well as finding out is flickr (like this, just simple search will do, most photographers there are more than willing to share if you ask way in advance, for example i got some suggestions for scenic from this very helpful guy VJ Spectra, i just happily dropped him a msg through flickr mail because he seems to be based there, do take time to browse through his hk photos if you have the time , they are very well taken (along with other places he's been to, i think film user iirc).. he sent me a list of things/places to go, etc; but unfortunately was not able to meet it, from his hk photos i guess there are a few locations that are pretty good

the qing ma bridge apparently very photogenic at night,
here and here; take note that not very accessible unless by taxi/car, which is why i didn't get to go

i particuarly liked the lantau island area, but it probably might look a lot better in ir than in normal photo, not sure

actually when you're in hong kong get their tourist guide asap, it is very useful, can decide there and then how to go, a lot of the locations are actually easily accessible via the mtr line, which resembles our mrt very much, pricing is reasonable considering

cheers! and have fun

How do you achieved that skies effect in the first photo?
By using filter? or polarized filter?

How do you achieved that skies effect in the first photo?
By using filter? or polarized filter?

probably a gnd,it was so long ago so i can't remember
but about sunset timing, away from the sun.. should have used gnd

Hi guys, not sure if i've posted in the correct place, if there anyone can advise for good photography spot in HK? Would like to capture scene from Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre and also Victoria harbour. Any nice spot to go where i can capture the Convention center?

you mean "capture scene of Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre and also Victoria harbour."

google is your friend

http://images.google.com/images?cli...ion+Centre&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

http://images.google.com/images?cli...+hong+kong&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Uh, not sure if you're keen but when I was in HK last year, I visited Chi Lin Nunnery. Found it a very beautiful and serene place in the middle of a bustling HK housing estate.

Info about the nunnery at Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Lin_Nunnery

Just take the MTR to Diamond Hill. Go up and out the MTR, past a shopping mall called Pacific Plaza and follow the signs to the nunnery ^^ And go on a weekday! There was barely anybody around when I went there on a weekday.

Some of my photos of the nunnery. Was using a Canon A530 then so photo resolution isn't so great ;) But an idea of the place for you.

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.