Photography from top of building say....a skyrise hotel?

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
If supposing asked to quote general photography from roof of a very tall building to cover event happening down below example for NDP...what would be the going rate?

269939_10150254084058166_835728165_7465809_8386751_n.jpg

261749_10150254083993166_835728165_7465808_7336577_n.jpg

If supposing asked to quote general photography from roof of a very tall building to cover event happening down below example for NDP...what would be the going rate?

Equipment provided? Food provided? Total number of hours? Deliverables in what format? Use of photographs locally or overseas? If overseas what are the usage rights?

Usually that is for Accredited Media. Agencies and local newspaper. Organizers usually tied down with the building management to allow the photographers to access the limited areas. Other examples are Marina Bay Sands, "balcony" just under the Infinity Pool.

Last year so people covered the NDP from the balcony of Peninsula Plaza, etc.

No matter how much they pay, I wouldn't go up there... Goosh.. Height... jelly feet... sorry for OT.

Sorry and I don't know how to price this as the whole idea of height just scare me...

Regards,

Hart

Usually that is for Accredited Media. Agencies and local newspaper. Organizers usually tied down with the building management to allow the photographers to access the limited areas. Other examples are Marina Bay Sands, "balcony" just under the Infinity Pool.

Last year so people covered the NDP from the balcony of Peninsula Plaza, etc.

Not really true. While majority of these locations are use of AM, it is not solely AM that uses these platforms.
The one that is "limited access" is aerial photography. And even for that, I know of one private company in SG that has done this.

Last edited:
I've done quite a few similar jobs over the years...

1) Insurance - it's going to cost you plenty for a day's coverage for yourself and any other crew involved. Do NOT do this sort of job unless you have got proper cover.
2) Height Training - Get some if you haven't already done so. A riggers course is well worth the expenditure if you are going to work in this environment regularly. Or hire a rigger for the day to manage your safety.
3) Weather concerns. Think about it...

The going rate is going to be the above, plus a good chunk for yourself and then there's no guarantees as the platform type you show is a window cleaning unit and not that stable if there's even a moderate breeze blowing. I can't help you with a price for Singapore but I can say it adds a couple of grand minimum to the local prices where I am.

Ha... Agree with Hart about not wanting to do that ... Ever again regardless of the amount.

Years back, me and my partner did a cable car shoot in one of the country in this region. To get the short, the ad agency required us to stand at the top of one of the cable cars tower to get a synchronize shot of 2 cable cars from opposite directions into one single frame. The shot was done in the evening. The setting was not bright and also very windy. There was very little to support our well being and the standing place was limited to 1 and our equipment. The other partner acted as assistant by standing below. Very much there is nothing anyone can do if an accident was to happen. it was a scary experience with only a belt harness and helmet for safety. How much can that help when we were so high above with no one and nothing to call for help if something happen.

Despite of the fees and the insurance coverage, I would say it is not really worth it. The shot was done in less than 30 mins but looking back, I still get the chill running simply by thinking of the incident.

Sorry for the OT. For fees, I would just say it was at the high side of a four figure range... Good money but good riddance I am not doing it anymore. I am too old for such thrill .... Still prefer slow or non moving genre of photography like architecture and urban documentary projects.

Cheers for the weekend... TGIF

Daniel

Agetan said:
No matter how much they pay, I wouldn't go up there... Goosh.. Height... jelly feet... sorry for OT.

Sorry and I don't know how to price this as the whole idea of height just scare me...

Regards,

Hart