Photography for wedding tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rejoyce

Feb 4, 2009
hi, just arrowed by a fren to help in her wedding for photography.

since i have not done a wedding b4, is there any kind souls out there who will help me out by telling me wat are the things to take note. wat are the kind of lens good to bring? normal or WA or prime? dun want to 'ruin' her wedding...

the wedding will take place in a hotel ballroom so flash is definitely needed... any tips? ;)

Do a search in this forum. This topic has been discussed repeatedly.

the information is plenty in this forum,

try use search function, search title only, keywords "wedding", show result as thread.

please do it yourself, we can't summarize the information for you, or link all the threads for you.

Just anyhow shoot, lah. Whatever you feel is right, just go for it. Feel free to use your friend's wedding as an experiment. Your friend is not hiring a pro, so even if you ruin everything, she shouldn't complain. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Just anyhow shoot, lah. Whatever you feel is right, just go for it. Feel free to use your friend's wedding as an experiment. Your friend is not hiring a pro, so even if you ruin everything, she shouldn't complain. You get what you pay for.
most honest comment of the day.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

this book can be found in our national library.

14994857.JPG

I advise you get at least a wide angle lens (not fish eye) and a good flash (with diffuser) for your Wedding TFCD. At the end of the day, at least there is the table shots to bring home.

most honest comment of the day.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just don't understand why people must put so much pressure on themselves to perform when they get arrowed for little or no pay AND have next to no experience. (Expectations should be directly proportional to the amount paid, IMO.)

If your wife is pregnant and you hire a 7-Eleven cashier to be her gynae, what are you going to expect? Even if you make the fella read magazines and look at Wikipedia and give him "tips", you think he's going to get any better at delivering babies?

You're not a pro.

You've got no experience.

So just leave it as that, lor.

Shoot with whatever you have (even if it's a lomo cam), and have fun with it. Don't ask about equipment, don't ask about "tips". No point, one. Just anyhow whack, can already.

Seriously.

I just don't understand why people must put so much pressure on themselves to perform when they get arrowed for little or no pay AND have next to no experience. (Expectations should be directly proportional to the amount paid, IMO.)

If your wife is pregnant and you hire a 7-Eleven cashier to be her gynae, what are you going to expect? Even if you make the fella read magazines and look at Wikipedia and give him "tips", you think he's going to get any better at delivering babies?

You're not a pro.

Shoot with whatever you have (even if it's a lomo cam), and have fun with it. Don't ask about equipment, don't ask about "tips". No point, one. Just anyhow whack, can already.

Seriously.

agree with you totally...
just that people associate DSLR = pro
and so it can be a bit embarrassing to produce photos that are:
a) over/under-exposed
b) blur due to motion/hand-shake
c) out of focus
d) incorrectly colour-balanced

from a 'pro' camera.

You're not a pro.

Seriously.

Hey chill! :bsmilie:

But yea, by the looks of it , TS's friend doesn't sound very nice :embrass:

Hey chill! :bsmilie:

But yea, by the looks of it , TS's friend doesn't sound very nice :embrass:

You see ah, when it comes to learning, you need to know enough of the subject so that you can ask specific questions. How do you know what to ask? By experiencing the shoot for yourself, because every event is different, and even within the same event, different people may encounter different challenges, due in some part to the photographer's style and personality. And different wedding photographers will have differing styles, so everybody's going to give his/her two cents and in the end, TS will end up with a sackful of cents but don't know how to make heads or tails of it.

I find that "how to shoot wedding?" is too general a question that will yield too much information that may or may not be relevant to what TS may be facing, and he'd be overloaded with these thoughts instead of concentrating on the shoot.

I know I may have sounded sarcastic (purposely so, but more directed towards couples who arrow photographers, and then get upset when said photographer ****s up the shoot), but I believe in what I say to be true. i.e. just go and enjoy yourself. For all you know, without all the inputs from fellow photographers, this might be the way TS finds out his unique style?

But for those who still insist on hard tips, here's my set for the absolute newbie:
Shoot everything in P-mode, auto-everything, with kit lens.
Anything you see that is interesting/important, just shoot, full stop.

For starters, I believe it doesn't have to get more complicated than that.

I like this piece of advise!!:thumbsup:

But for those who still insist on hard tips, here's my set for the absolute newbie:

agree with synapseman.

to TS, don't be so hard to yourself, this is the first wedding you are going to shoot, give you 100tips, even you have a what to shoot list, write down every single point, one the day itself, you will throw away the list within 30mins, to shoot a wedding decently, you need the knowledge of basic photography, plus the experience of shooting 20~50 weddings, so just take your friend's wedding as a guinea pig, I'm sure she won't mind, else will not ask you at all.

You see ah, when it comes to learning, you need to know enough of the subject so that you can ask specific questions. How do you know what to ask? By experiencing the shoot for yourself, because every event is different, and even within the same event, different people may encounter different challenges, due in some part to the photographer's style and personality. And different wedding photographers will have differing styles, so everybody's going to give his/her two cents and in the end, TS will end up with a sackful of cents but don't know how to make heads or tails of it.

I find that "how to shoot wedding?" is too general a question that will yield too much information that may or may not be relevant to what TS may be facing, and he'd be overloaded with these thoughts instead of concentrating on the shoot.

I know I may have sounded sarcastic (purposely so, but more directed towards couples who arrow photographers, and then get upset when said photographer ****s up the shoot), but I believe in what I say to be true. i.e. just go and enjoy yourself. For all you know, without all the inputs from fellow photographers, this might be the way TS finds out his unique style?

Yea, true. Get what you mean :p

wow.. oki... thanks for all the "advises" - sarcastic or not. im new in photography. took up lesson b4.. but i guess i just lack the confidence. never done a wedding b4. so i thought trying asking for advices for maybe equipment to bring. a normal zoom lens and WA and prime all bring different effects so thought mayb can ask which are the usual used. though i dun think my fren would have fault me or ruining her wedding but as her fren, she asked me for help and i agreed... so i dun think anyone wld want to do a bad job rite?

i tried searching for weddings but i didnt c any, maybe i have missed them.
anyway, thanks all. ;)

wow.. oki... thanks for all the "advises" - sarcastic or not. im new in photography. took up lesson b4.. but i guess i just lack the confidence. never done a wedding b4. so i thought trying asking for advices for maybe equipment to bring. a normal zoom lens and WA and prime all bring different effects so thought mayb can ask which are the usual used. though i dun think my fren would have fault me or ruining her wedding but as her fren, she asked me for help and i agreed... so i dun think anyone wld want to do a bad job rite?

anyway, thanks all. ;)

Ehh may i ask what equipment are u using now?

wow.. oki... thanks for all the "advises" - sarcastic or not.

point to note, there's no such thing as "advises". you thank people for their advice

that aside, you've gone for lesson before, but you need to ask yourself: do you have experience shooting events? (be it a prize ceremony, fair, concert, etc)

a lot is demanded from a wedding photographer (that's how they can charge thousands of dollars for one day of shoot), and shooting a wedding is not something one can do without experience.

pardon if i sound harsh. even if you do not want to do a bad job, you will most probably find yourself struggling to submit a decent number of photos to your friend afterwards. positioning, composition, anticipation are just some of the things that need to be gained through experience.

worst case scenario - you screw up the photos and mar your friendship with that friend of yours.

best case scenario - your friend does not mind even if you only submit like 10-20 pics.

the best advice i can give you is to advise your friend to hire a professional while you can be the second photographer.

anyway, thanks all. ;)

Not all things are about equipment.

Knowing how the process and critical moments that will occur during an actual day is also very important. Even if you got the best lenses and equipment, doesn't help if you don't know whats coming up next...

So i'm going to help you not be too embarassed on your friend's wedding; (assumption that you are dealing with common/standard chinese with/without church wedding)

1. Don't forget to go down to shoot the cars arriving after morning prep. and try to tell the groom to slow down. I've seen alot of "newbie" photographers miss this (get too occupied with whats going on upstairs/in-the-house).

2. Remember to signal the crowd when taking group-shots. Most inconfident newbie wedding shooters talk like mice and nobody knows who to look at. Be loud or don't get the shot.

3. Get your position right during tea ceremony. This is the most messy and irritating part.

4. Rewind if needed. They always rewind. Some photographers rewind kisses up to 3 times. Kiasu better than mar relationship with friend.

5. If there is an actual photographer hired, he has the priority. I've seen photographers complain out-right to couples about having "More than one camera". They've got a job to do and you don't want to be embarassed.

Top things (imho) often missed and forgotten about that are somewhat impt during actual day by newbie AD PG (in no order of merit);

1. Lighting of candles.
2. "Macro" and still-life of items such as bridal accesories and wardrobe, make-up tools, flowers.
3. Veiling/Unveiling of bride.
4. Drive-in of groom (as mentioned).
5. Throwing of flower by bride when it doesn't happen during dinner

Rmb, seldom people will be free enough to inform you on whats going on next.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.