Photography Exihibition cum Coffeetable Book Giveaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

unseen

Dec 14, 2004
NTU and Wdls
Doing this as a favour for a friend.

What's up:
The exhibition aims to re-awaken Singaporeans to the beauty on their doorstep - that our heartland is no more the drab and monotonous places they started off as. They are now sophisticated and pretty, world-class public housing despite being built to a budget. In conjunction with the photo exhibition is a book launch of the 2nd Edition of "Aesthetically Yours, Singapore." This book is foreworded by Minister Mentor, Mr Lee Kuan Yew and in his honour, a copy of the book will be given away to each visitor of the library. Please look below for the timing. There will be books to be given out, even on the last day.

Venue: Bugis NLB, Lee Kong Chian Reference Library - Level 10 - Promenade

Exhibition Duration: 01 September 2006 to 20 September 2006 , 10.00 am to 9.00 pm
Book give-away timing: Mondays to Fridays - 4 pm to 7 pm; Saturdays / Sundays - 3 pm to 6 pm.

About the author/publisher:
Better known as a food photographer, Yim Chee Peng, once also a lawyer and corporate secretary, has been taking landscape photography of Singapore, despite the consensus among photographers that this is a no-go area because of the citys physical size, its monotonous tropical climate and lack of natural attractions such as mountains and waterfalls. However, Singapore is a well-built up city with what has been long recognized as world-class public housing, the (Housing & Development Board) HDB estates. But to many Singaporeans, the heartland is simply boring, monotonous and repetitive and is something one just has to put up with. Faced with this challenge, Yim has spent the past few years photographing and eliciting the beauty of the heartland.

My personal take on this: If LKY can personally contact the author and request him to come out with a 2nd edition of this book... For both local and oversea sponsors to foot the bill etc.. That's how good it is. A thick coffee book as this to be given away free, it is good isn't it? I hope the brothers here won't go there and just take the book for the sake of it. Do at least appreciate it.

"Singapore nothing to shoot?"

this book proves that Singapore does indeed have lots of stories to tell! was there last night and had a great time going through the book with my gf, recalling my own personal experiences growing up in the Singapore heartland. for the older generation, the pictures might bring on a sense of nostalgia and pride to see how far we have come.

special thanks to moomoo, i mean, tze yang ;p , for the invitation. the finger food was fantastic, too!

:) Last night was the private launch.. LOL Yeah the finger food was fantastic.

Anyway the (big and thick) book contain images from the 1960s to now of the Sg heartland, some of them images you may know of, seen before, but will never see again. Certainly worth a look.

I got there late around 7pm and Mr Yim was there manning the reception. As I was in a rush, I browsed through the exhibits first before asking for the book. Did some small talk and learnt he basically took the photos over a span of 40 years, and advised I'm still young and can do my own :) Nice down to earth guy, quite different from what I imagined.

Think will need to view the exhibits again as the book somehow doesn't show the photos as well. Anyone with similar thoughts?

yup.. but also some of the photos on the book were not display as well..

Went there last night and I'm amazed at some of the pics, truly Singapore..

centurion_sg said:
I got there late around 7pm and Mr Yim was there manning the reception. As I was in a rush, I browsed through the exhibits first before asking for the book. Did some small talk and learnt he basically took the photos over a span of 40 years, and advised I'm still young and can do my own :) Nice down to earth guy, quite different from what I imagined.

Think will need to view the exhibits again as the book somehow doesn't show the photos as well. Anyone with similar thoughts?

I agree... some of the photos are just so nice when viewed mounted on display.. the large display just make some of the photos really amazing..

Anyway I was chatting with Mr. Yim, he's willing to hold a "how to" intro to food photography talk, if there's enough interest.

The thread is here.. http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?p=2439177
Do sign up if you're interested.

i also go there and get the book ^_____^
even for the "new to singapore" like me...
the photos are so interesting... need to explore more... >_<

archlover said:
i also go there and get the book ^_____^
even for the "new to singapore" like me...
the photos are so interesting... need to explore more... >_<
i miss the samsui women (the women who wore the red hats, the original "construction workers") and the ah-mas (or ma-jie). still remember seeing a few elderly ones when i was still very very young.

Status
Not open for further replies.