Photography ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecwj

Apr 30, 2004
I have a few issues to bring to light regarding photography ethics.:angry: ;(

At a recent wedding ceremony of my close friend, there's this group of photographers from a CC photography club. They claim they had permission to take photos. The following r the things they had done to disrupt the ceremony:;(

1) Lying on the floor to take photos, blocking the guests path;
2) Standing on chairs meant for old folks to sit down in order to take photos;
3) Rushing forward and blocking the guests view of important sections of the ceremony(even after being told not to cause disruption to the guests);
4) sitting in a disrespectful manner on the floor( its an indian wedding at a temple);
5) printing out photos and distributing to ppl( no permission was given, some r also not our guests);
6) shoving our appointed photographer in order to take photos( he tried to contact them to share photos they have taken but was turned down);
7) touching and rearranging the items used in the ceremony;
8) blocking the bride and groom when they need to walk around the temple.

The list above is no complete. I would like photographers to know, its definitely within ur right to take photos, but do it in a respectful manner. To take a good photo doesn't mean u can give scant regard to the ppl around u. Items used in an indian wedding ceremony r not meant to be taken and rearranged on the floor for photography.

I have spoken to the chairman of this club and he insisted he did no wrong and had permission.

:think: my first reaction on reading this was "Wow!, like that also can???:dunno: "

My second reaction - from your description, the "photographers" certainly behaved like ill-manner brats (if I were to be diplomatic) or if I were to be blunt, they behaved liked hooligans. :thumbsd:

The so called chairman does not seem to be better off, from the way you described his reaction and response....

which cc?

yeah which CC?

yeah which CC?

Macpherson CC.

The whole event left a very unpleasant feeling for us. Some of the guests actually complained to us during the night dinner reception that was held on the same day.

this is bad....................ruined ppl happy day..........bad, damn bad.

knn what kind of ethics are these "photographers" trying to promote? ;(

i'm especially disturbed by this act "shoving our appointed photographer" this "photographers" must really be think skinned!

Who gave the permission to the CC? The one who gave permission must seek clarification on why these photographers behave this way.

wtf man.

i'll probably chase them all out if there were THAT irritating.

I have spoken to the chairman of this club and he insisted he did no wrong and had permission.

chairman of the CC is good enough,

MP always very bo eng one, one month only can see one time. :bsmilie:

Chairman of the CC? No use one lah, they are all in the same boat, besides it's a club matter so the most is let the club chairman know the club chairman is also a :thumbsd: one.

If you have their picture, post in STOMP.

A photographer covering an event is suppose to be as undisruptive as possible, this is the first and most basic rule.
If you're good you'll know what to do to min. disruption to the proceedings and the enjoyment of others.
As photographers we must be mindful of those around us as we need to move around and sometimes get in close. If photographers don't understand that, you better go back and learn from others first before shooting an event.
If this really happened, these people from the photo club are giving themselves, their club, their CC and the images of photographers a bad name. :angry: :angry:

i was just wondering what these photographers are doing there?

i can't imagine on my wedding day, there is "this group of wedding photgraphers" and i didn't know about it when i am the groom???

so if they were there unauthorised, i would have told them to leave immediately, even if it's in the middle of my church ceremony.

so i wonder, if they were authorised to be there, who authorised them? and if they weren't, why didn't the couple do anything on the spot to rectify the situation?

the only other thing is that the venue that the couple booked authorised these pple, ie, the chairman of the CC for instance. i would still, as the groom, seek redress straight away. being a chairman of the CC does not give him the right to disrupt the wedding.

in your post you need to be clear. u mentioned the photgraphers CLAIMED they had permission. i think it's more important to know for sure if they did, and from who....

nevertheless, letting it go on and complaining now isn't ideal, fix it there and then. u are right, photographers do not have the right to behave this way, and even as a full time wedding photographer myself, if i see such behavior i will show my colour to such people.

regarding going to the MP or higher authorities, think about what you want to achieve. a formal apology in writing? how does that help the wedding that was disrupted? it's good that you have posted here and in MCF and who knows where else, at least anyone that reads your posts can be forewarned that such behavior should not be tolerated.

last but not least, a blissful marriage to your indian friends! :)

the main question is who gave them permission to shoot at a private event?

Even if they had permission to shoot, they should not be disruptive.

I wonder who this group is? Anyone we know on CS?

Another question is, was the wedding at the CC? Was is part of the arrangement that the Photography Club at the CC has rights to shoot the wedding? Even so, their behavior is unacceptable.

Really too bad no one took pictures of their behavior and post them on line.

Where are all the camera phones when we need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.