Photography Ethics - The Other Side of the Coin

Status
Not open for further replies.

chngpe01

Staff member
I just want to share this with members here.

Nature phtotgraphy is not about just getting the picture. The cardinal rule or ethics in which a nature photographer strongly believe and abide is - "The welfare of the subject always comes first, subjecting the subject to harrassment and torture to get the shot is certainly unethical and shameless.

This was what happened at SBG,

http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/dcforum/DCForumID2/410.html

Totally agree with you chngpe01. Nature is meant to be watch and not touch. Leave nature alone. It knows how to take care of itself.

I think that couple mentioned in the forum is totally out of hand. And what a disgrace to Singaporeans for using nationality as an argument for their selfish actions! :nono:
My view on nature photography is that the photographer must never unnecessarily interfere with nature to get the shot he/she wants. Nature is best captured in its natural setting.
Maybe someone should kick that guy into the pond and take a picture of him all wet! ;(

Someday, they will get their just desert. That's when nature fights back! I suppose the witnesses could alert the ranger to handle it instead, cause some people just don't talk senses. That's the ugly side. :(

i just noticed something

they said "no wonder " they the couple knew aaron and his gf are japanese but the couple in question are using japanese cameras..

i am not treading on nationality lines but arent the couple barking up the wrong tree ?

After reading that posting in naturephotosociety.... I somehow don't understand where kind of kick they get by shooting dead insects,bugs,etc. :(

Push them into the pond oso and put them on some leaf? ;-0

Sad to have such people. I was there in botanic gardens too this morning, don't know if I had met them. But I did notice a couple with SLR cameras walking out through the Minden Gate. I believed the guy was using a Canon SLR (noticable from his white lens)

Err....i don't get it. You mean the damselfly was killed by them? Else dip into the water and put back onto leaf it'd surely have flew away? :confused: Wah lao! :eek:

Sad, but it's fact that care and awareness for nature and environment is not on par with Singapore's status as a developed nation. Is such act very different from official culling of crows, pigeons and cats ?

And...... very sad to read poisoning of 4 stray dogs in clementi area today ? I don't understand how such cruel act benefits them :angry:

If we notice such incidents next time, no point arguing with these ppl. put our tele-lens to work, take a picture and send it to SPCA or get it published on news paper.

Outrages!

Damn these selfish buggers, let us all keep a close watch for this duo, don't let them continue to do this. :angry:

Respect nature and be treated in kind by its true beauty. :)

Humans can protect themselves, there are law/societies to help them and many kindhearted ones to aid them. Still, majority think they own the earth and do not understand that it is also place other animals call "home" too.

We just need to do more and learn to share our planet and develop a more tolerance heart. Are you not doing enough or are just like them? If you see little animal like cats, insects please treat them with respect and give abit tolerance. They are living things too. It is us who are the "Pest" for majority of animals.

it's terribly upsetting to hear of something like this happening right in our own backyards.. :(

the public should and must be educated to be more respectful of nature... nature is so limited in singapore already.. sigh... :cry:

heh.. now just to keep a lookout in the macro section of the damselfly shot... see whether got any shots of "damselfly covered in dew"... ;p

Just go out and stake out at BG and take record shots of these people and sent them to the authorities.

Alot of people still think they have the right to do whatever they like.

Sometimes its like majority wins and the only trying to get their attention don't get his message across. hint hint.....:-(

Well life sucks isn't it ?

Sigh...

I was at JBP 2 weeks back, there was an aviary where prakeets and some other birds would fly free and there's sale of syrup water(?) and food for them.

A mom was feeding one of the prakeets happily after a while it got boring and she wanted to leave, she happily poured the syrup water over the prakeet and laughed heartily with her little VERY young aged daughter that she (the mom) drenched the prakeet. The poor bird became a target for other birds that wanted the water.

I wanted to swing my 190B with my ballhead onto her head as I watched with disgust. It's bad enough the birds aren't allowed to fly free and they 'entertain' the visitors and this is what they get in return.

I would have gotten a shot of them if I didn't loan my camera to a friend!

Please... respect nature. The next time I see such stuff, I'll just pay for another syrup cup and I'll just pour it over the idiot's head and laugh "Hahaha I pour it over their feathers". :thumbsd:

And if I see the couple mentioned, I'll make sure they take a swim with their cameras in the pond, be it mud or water.

I saw once in my hawker centre this father holding his son's hand walking to a nearby sleeping cat and point to the cat say "cat cat". Come kick the cat and the father show the son how to kick the cat and the son follow and both seems to enjoy.

dogcage.jpg

-
The SPCA had received a report in August 2004 of a dog being confined in a cage by its owner. We found the six month puppy (pictured) starving in a cramped and dirty padlocked cage placed in the common corridor. She was severely emaciated with no space to stand or move about. As the animal was deemed to be suffering and in need of immediate attention, she was removed from the common area and brought back to SPCA. Following the veterinary examination she was found to weigh only 4.2 kg. Her growth, as a result of being in such a confined space was stunted. The case was referred to the AVA and the owner was fined $500 under the Animals and Birds Act. The SPCA will be placing Ursula (her new name) for adoption soon.
-
abuse7.jpg

-
‘Max’ the kitten pictured, was allegedly kicked at an eating house in Woodlands Centre Road in April 2004. The kitten was picked up and treated for an eye injury by SPCA’s consultant veterinarian. The SPCA will be putting the kitten up for adoption.
The case is presently under police investigation.
Max is currently up for adoption at SPCA.
-
abuse6.jpg

-
On May 28th 2004, the New Paper informed SPCA that it had received a call from a member of the public in the Marsiling area who had removed some rubber bands from a stray cat’s neck. The SPCA Inspector visited the scene and together with the man who had called the New Paper, rescued the cat (staff have named her `Tootsie’) and brought her back to the SPCA clinic for treatment. Unfortunately there were no witnesses to this cruel act. If you would like to adopt `Tootsie’ who is very friendly please call 62875355 to enquire.
-
abuse3.jpg

-
Cat cruelty, beaten by youngster. When you observe an act of animal abuse – whether deliberate or unintentional, please call the SPCA. All complaints are kept confidential. However, if you are a witness to an extreme act of abuse, you should inform the SPCA, make a police report and be prepared to testify in court. Without the testimony of the witness, no action can be taken.

Let others know how you feel. Support the SPCA. Express your disapproval. Animal abuse is not just unacceptable. It reflects a lack of respect for life itself.

left_helpus.jpg

-
These animals got no bad intention. They just want to live like us and most of the time they are trying to be friendly. So, next time when u see a nearby animal, dun forget to say "hello". ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.