Photography ethic

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulman

Jan 10, 2004
Mother Earth
Hi all,

I was at the Aviva 70.3 triathlon event on sunday and I was quite disturbed by the "enthusiasm" of a particular photographer. Thought I share with you and hopefully rise some awareness. Especially with such highly paced race like triathlon especially on the biking leg.

This particular guy was sitting right in the middle of the cycling path, ignoring the fact that the triathletes were driving at 30-45kph ( or more for the elites). He was shouted at by some of the cyclist but was totally unmoved by it. He continues to sit there shoting till I walked over to him and told him on the possible consequences. He didn't move out of the way immediately though till I kept checking on him.

As a photograper myself I would understand the fact that he want to get a good shot. However, he shouldn't be endangering the racer for the benefits of himself. I've done such races and the fact that we're typically racing at such high pace (and not forgetting that is after a grusome 1.9km swim) , a lack of concentration, a sudden brake and any sudden movement just to avoid him will have devastating effect. This will also potentially cause a majot pile up as every cyclist are racing very close to each other.

Also not forgetting that these triathletes have trained hard over the years just to participate in the race. A selfish individual would have completely ruin it.

I'm sure majority of the photograper here are responsible enough. But just to rise this awareness.

cheers,
Guek

Hi all,

I was at the Aviva 70.3 triathlon event on sunday and I was quite disturbed by the "enthusiasm" of a particular photographer. Thought I share with you and hopefully rise some awareness. Especially with such highly paced race like triathlon especially on the biking leg.

This particular guy was sitting right in the middle of the cycling path, ignoring the fact that the triathletes were driving at 30-45kph ( or more for the elites). He was shouted at by some of the cyclist but was totally unmoved by it. He continues to sit there shoting till I walked over to him and told him on the possible consequences. He didn't move out of the way immediately though till I kept checking on him.

As a photograper myself I would understand the fact that he want to get a good shot. However, he shouldn't be endangering the racer for the benefits of himself. I've done such races and the fact that we're typically racing at such high pace (and not forgetting that is after a grusome 1.9km swim) , a lack of concentration, a sudden brake and any sudden movement just to avoid him will have devastating effect. This will also potentially cause a majot pile up as every cyclist are racing very close to each other.

Also not forgetting that these triathletes have trained hard over the years just to participate in the race. A selfish individual would have completely ruin it.

I'm sure majority of the photograper here are responsible enough. But just to rise this awareness.

cheers,
Guek

anyone with a picture of him?

Hi all,

cheers,
Guek

sitting in the middle of the racing lane ? he is crazy and should be asked to leave the event immediately. :devil:

sitting in the middle of the racing lane ? he is crazy and should be asked to leave the event immediately. :devil:

i will have him removed by force by getting security...

:bsmilie: the issue on ethics have to pop up every now and then ... the kind of ''courage'' a machine gives a man is just so amazing sometimes

Hi all,

cheers,
Guek

I could'nt agree with you more. If a photographer wants to put his life in danger to get that "once in a lifetime shot", that's his call. But he shld not ever put others' lives in danger for that. It was pretty brave of you to walk up to him and tell him off. I think all civic-minded photo enthusiasts have you to thank for saving their good name. Thank you.

:bsmilie: the issue on ethics have to pop up every now and then ... the kind of ''courage'' a machine gives a man is just so amazing sometimes

must be a big camera... he thought by hiding behind a camera makes him invincible... ostrich mindset... :devil:

I could'nt agree with you more. If a photographer wants to put his life in danger to get that "once in a lifetime shot", that's his call. But he shld not ever put others' lives in danger for that. It was pretty brave of you to walk up to him and tell him off. I think all civic-minded photo enthusiasts have you to thank for saving their good name. Thank you.

Ask the guy to try doing that at a Monster Truck Derby... :devil:

Hi all,

cheers,
Guek

i think the next time you spot someone like that, you should make big complaints to the people from the organiser to ban him from entering competition grounds at once, even if he is wearing the official photographer tag.

Where are the zealous Singapore security guards where we needed them? Probably chasing away some hapless photographer who wanted to take a picture of his/her child in front of a shopping center. Disgusting!

I really wish the TS had taken a picture of this idiot, and posted it.

One of the triathletes should have just zam one leg into the lens while cycling past.

:thumbsd:

Then he also fly rite... be realistic... zham the face... :devil:

But if timing zun, and zam while he's looking down the viewfinder - two birds with one stone... ;p

to pull a stunt like that is damn stupid!! no respect for the athletes at all.
a day will come when someday, somewhere, such stupid acts will have a bigger repercussion on other innocent photog as well.

to pull a stunt like that is damn stupid!! no respect for the athletes at all.
a day will come when someday, somewhere, such stupid acts will have a bigger repercussion on other innocent photog as well.

Locally known as spoil market. :bsmilie:

There are other longer run consequences as well. Such behaviour will give a mindset against photographers. In the end, we may all lose out as event organisers ban photographers all together. These are the type of people who spoil the photography image.

There are other longer run consequences as well. Such behaviour will give a mindset against photographers. In the end, we may all lose out as event organisers ban photographers all together. These are the type of people who spoil the photography image.

that is why it is best if the TS could get a picture of him and post it online. .....a picture will paint a thousands words.

this etiquette issue will never end, public embarassment will....:bsmilie:

I think he trying to emulate this guy:

_39300335_protestor_ap_203.jpg

Full story from BBC.

Makes me wonder..... Why don't the cyclists simply run him over?

A universal rule, never sit in the middle of the road, esp in the face of charging vehicles - unless u'd wanna become roadkill.

Makes me wonder..... Why don't the cyclists simply run him over?

A universal rule, never sit in the middle of the road, esp in the face of charging vehicles - unless u'd wanna become roadkill.

Wah piang brudder hehe you know how much money a Triathlon bike cost or not?!!! Run over them hhahahah...bang him, he may not die or break his camera into pieces but your bike is wreck beyond repair heheh not worth gambling lah heheh...

The TS should have taken a shot of him just in case something did happen, there are at least pictures of him....I bet you this "waste of meat & bones" creature will thick-skin walk away when something bad happen.

There have been news video which showed cyclists involved in mass pile-up due to over zealots fans and photographers who step out into the path of cyclist just to cheer or shoot pictures. Some cyclists actually died from such collision.

I would have reported this @#@$ loser and get him off the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.