Photography ethic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wah, idiot gunning for glory.. :thumbsd:

Must go ask my fren abt the nutter photog, since he was one of the 'ironmen' there..

To be specific, that guy was at the cycling route opposite the marina mandarin just after the bike-run transition area going towards esplanade.

i think the next time you spot someone like that, you should make big complaints to the people from the organiser to ban him from entering competition grounds at once, even if he is wearing the official photographer tag.

I thought about getting the official to pull him off the road actually but I decided to just tell him off first. If it failed, then I would have call the officials.

hi
was at the event, too but didnt see that guy..i hope i didnt do anything as silly and dangerous as him

anyway, since we are at this topic of photography ethics..wish to post qs on this.

lately been interested to take pic at sports events and random shots ard the city..is there any ethics that we need to observe? cos most of the time the event will have official photographers, ....worried that will get in their way...since am just taking for fun..

and also when taking photos....need to ask for permission? cos just realised all the photos i posted didnt get the prior consent....

sorry for all the dumb questions :p

cheers

next time bring a super soaker.. then spray him from the crowd.. see if he moves or not, if still not.. change ammunition from water to sea water. or acid :p

:thumbsup: try telling that to cheapo customers. most will be shocked that 2 wheels and a frame can cost so much. :bsmilie:

Haha! Same thing goes to people who have never seen DSLR before. Who can be so shocked that one 20 year old lens can cost 2 times their latest PnS and have 0X zoom!

hi
was at the event, too but didnt see that guy..i hope i didnt do anything as silly and dangerous as him

anyway, since we are at this topic of photography ethics..wish to post qs on this.

lately been interested to take pic at sports events and random shots ard the city..is there any ethics that we need to observe? cos most of the time the event will have official photographers, ....worried that will get in their way...since am just taking for fun..

and also when taking photos....need to ask for permission? cos just realised all the photos i posted didnt get the prior consent....

cheers
If they never put up all sorts of fencing to block the view of people who say don't have tickets into an area, then for sure there will be chance to snap a few pics. Best of course is to ask permission from security posted around or some official. Otherwise, ethics? Just go along with what you think is considerate towards others.

I thought about getting the official to pull him off the road actually but I decided to just tell him off first. If it failed, then I would have call the officials.

i think you have just missed out the photo of the event! ..... :think:
you really didnt take any photo of him in that position at that time????
if you didnt, i dont think you should do any street/event photography ...:dunno:

I think he trying to emulate this guy:

_39300335_protestor_ap_203.jpg

Full story from BBC.

wow :bigeyes:

I wonder what will Sg do in the coming F1... fence up the entire route like what they did to suntec. :sweat:

hi

cheers

I tink it's mostly common sense lah... for private event, yeah, you should get permission even if it's held in public place. For public event, juz dun obstruct/hinder the event. Most importantly, be considerate.

Hi all,

I was at the Aviva 70.3 triathlon event on sunday and I was quite disturbed by the "enthusiasm" of a particular photographer. Thought I share with you and hopefully rise some awareness. Especially with such highly paced race like triathlon especially on the biking leg.

This particular guy was sitting right in the middle of the cycling path, ignoring the fact that the triathletes were driving at 30-45kph ( or more for the elites). He was shouted at by some of the cyclist but was totally unmoved by it. He continues to sit there shoting till I walked over to him and told him on the possible consequences. He didn't move out of the way immediately though till I kept checking on him.

As a photograper myself I would understand the fact that he want to get a good shot. However, he shouldn't be endangering the racer for the benefits of himself. I've done such races and the fact that we're typically racing at such high pace (and not forgetting that is after a grusome 1.9km swim) , a lack of concentration, a sudden brake and any sudden movement just to avoid him will have devastating effect. This will also potentially cause a majot pile up as every cyclist are racing very close to each other.

Also not forgetting that these triathletes have trained hard over the years just to participate in the race. A selfish individual would have completely ruin it.

I'm sure majority of the photograper here are responsible enough. But just to rise this awareness.

cheers,
Guek

Is he on a straight road or just after a bend? If he's just after a bend, then I feel your reaction is definately not strong enough and should have gone straight to an official to get him out of there.

However, if he's at a straight strech of road. I believe most participants would still be able to avoid him. You should have taken a pic of that situation and forwarded to the organisers, this is to prevent future reoccurance.

Hmm... bang him, bike wreck but got someone to pay the bills right? Its not his business to be in the middle of the road anyway. Plus can get a new bike. ;p

Lagi best if bang until the photographer can go hospital and den tell him to foot the bill for a new bike + the hospitalisation fee for the triathlete.

you probably don't understand that its not the money that we join such events .. its to achieve something beyond our normal endurance .. its something money can't buy... so to ask such idiots to pay for anything is quite meaningless

and no amount of equipment will take us to the finish line ... as what you guys will say "its not the camera that makes the photographer" .. in multisports .. its even more so ...

and ot the other person who suggested kicking him ... we wear SPDs .. so we won't waste our time unclipping just for his pleasure...

all it take is public education and much more of it for people to understand what we are doing .. and not to do such selfish acts that endanger the lives of others ...
honestly .. if he wants to attempt such stunts .. and i've seen other pedestrians knocking over cyclist while climbing over barricades that day... please do it only to endanger your own life ... cos if that is what you are interested in .. your own life...

Cheers

However, if he's at a straight strech of road. I believe most participants would still be able to avoid him. You should have taken a pic of that situation and forwarded to the organisers, this is to prevent future reoccurance.

Bro you need to cycle a road bike or triathlon bike. You are hunch over the handlebar and you are trying to keep an aerodynamic posture and you tilt your head up. And there is a likelihood you are also trying to draft which is cycle pretty close behind another cyclist. So all you see is that rider infront of you and a few who are in front of you as you ride at the back or drafting.

The front rider might see this idiot on the road ahead ...he makes a sudden veer to the side to avoid him and if you are behind this rider...guess what? You will have no time to react at the racing speed this competitive cyclists are cycling especially if he only saw this idiot like less then 100 metre away.

Should take a picture of this loser and shame him. There is NO excuse for not knowing how dangerous it could have become. Just becasue nothing bad happens that day, it does not mean the next time he does it again..it will not.

Bro you need to cycle a road bike or triathlon bike. You are hunch over the handlebar and you are trying to keep an aerodynamic posture and you tilt your head up. And there is a likelihood you are also trying to draft which is cycle pretty close behind another cyclist. So all you see is that rider infront of you and a few who are in front of you as you ride at the back or drafting.

The front rider might see this idiot on the road ahead ...he makes a sudden veer to the side to avoid him and if you are behind this rider...guess what? You will have no time to react at the racing speed this competitive cyclists are cycling especially if he only saw this idiot like less then 100 metre away.

Should take a picture of this loser and shame him. There is NO excuse for not knowing how dangerous it could have become. Just becasue nothing bad happens that day, it does not mean the next time he does it again..it will not.

ooh... forgot about drafting. yeah in that case the biker behind would not be able to react.

its a non drafting event

they have mashall to monitor and prevent drafting? And they did not find this idiot sitting there if there was cycling mashalls? Drafting is not allowed but sometime when you have a whole bunch of cyclists just moving together...you sometime can't help it..

Okay maybe I should just say if any one is just riding behind another cyclist his view of what is infront of the front cyclist is blocked. That is still just as dangerous. I know..I got into a few scraps like that when I am biking.

Finally got the picture from my friend. Did a quick snap but didn't capture the scene with more cyclist. But you should be able to imagine if a whole pack of cyclist are nearing him.

dumbphotographer2_1.JPG

wow :bigeyes:

I wonder what will Sg do in the coming F1... fence up the entire route like what they did to suntec. :sweat:
Oh man! I'd love it if they block the entire route like they did during the last IMF!

Its heaven doing shopping at Suntec with all the fences & police with so few people!!!

Finally got the picture from my friend. Did a quick snap but didn't capture the scene with more cyclist. But you should be able to imagine if a whole pack of cyclist are nearing him.

dumbphotographer2_1.JPG
Nice effort.

But I feel capturing his face would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.