Photography Equipment from Hong Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

katana

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Anyone knows if it is worthwhile getting photography equipment from Hong Kong? If so, any particular shop to recommend?

katana said:
Anyone knows if it is worthwhile getting photography equipment from Hong Kong? If so, any particular shop to recommend?

http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?page=photo/cameraprice.htm

some is cheaper. a good CS fren of mine in HK passed me the above website once, as a reference. hope it helps? :)

The most popular camera shops (think of them like Cathay and Alan Photo style) are Wing Sheng, Man Sheng, Mongkok Camera Centre, they are all near Mongkok MTR train station.

Some other shops in tourist areas are same style as Sim Lim Square and Lucky Plaza, so watch out.

Got my HK-agent warranty EF17-40L & Metz 54MZ4 from Man Sheng.

Got very good and patience service from them dispite a very crowded Friday evening. Asked a lot of question and played with the stuff. Then got me a new set....

No surcharge (pegged at 2.5%) for paying by credit card and got freebie (some DargonBall mug & radio) too !!

Saved some 10 - 15 % vs best prices in SG.

If i get the grey set, i.e. shop warranty only, the gap raised to about 20- 25% !! I am just amazed at that. But with electronic stuff, I rather pay more as "insurance".

My next trip there, the B & W 77mm C-PL filter (S$140 vs S$185 @ CP) & Omni bounce for my 54 & 60. This I will get from the grey guys, near Nathan Road...

Astin said:
The most popular camera shops (think of them like Cathay and Alan Photo style) are Wing Sheng, Man Sheng, Mongkok Camera Centre, they are all near Mongkok MTR train station.

Some other shops in tourist areas are same style as Sim Lim Square and Lucky Plaza, so watch out.

Ya, I bought my 1st camera (Minolta X700 plus 50mm lens) from Man Sheng in 1980s. Back then I was a poor student and thats all I could afford. Surprisingly the shop was very friendly to me. Nowadays whenever I go back HKG for holiday I will still drop by their shops.

You had a fav sales person that you deal with ?

They were so friendly that I tot my HK-buddy, who brought me there, knows the chap and hence the rounding down of the prices....

Where is your favourite place for the grey stuff? I have been there many many times, but never purchased anything except from Wing Shing and a few other camera shops arount the Champagne Court area.

Hi guys

Can u advise if will I get my head chop if I don't speak Cantonese in HK and if I buy from Man Shing or Wing shing?

Anthony

Man Shing or Wing Shing prices are rather stiff i.e. no discount or a discount about the cost of a cup of coffee, so you won't get cheated. Those no name Nathan road shops will cheat you of your money. Some shops along Stanley road will cheat you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.