Photography Courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorts

Mar 10, 2007
SG
Hello,

I was looking through the Workshops forums and came across Knowledge Bowl and SLCC offering basic photography courses. I believe some of you must have attended either of them. I would like to get some feedback, whether I should join the courses or not. :)

ditto for me...need to get some proper foundation...so far all self-taught and experimented...

ditto for me...need to get some proper foundation...so far all self-taught and experimented...

he asking for comment on those two sch.

Go SLCC, i feel its better

Hehe. I need some proper foundation too. So asking for feedback. :D

Hehe. I need some proper foundation too. So asking for feedback. :D
Hi,

I definitely think attending ANY (or at least most) courses is good. Anyway, there is actually a whole lot of free courses if you are ready to read. Here is a link to two of them. In the thread you will find the links.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=287342

BTW, why do you say "STOP laughing. :cry: " in your signature? E-500 and the kit lenses are nothing to laugh about, only people who have no idea about what that camera can do laugh. There are functions that other ppl only dream about (normally they say they don't need it) if they have a cheaper dSLR. So far, the E-500 is only beaten by the E-510 IMO and that is not something to be ashamed of. I have the E-500, started with the kit lenses and not really regretted anything yet. As a matter of fact, I recently realized that I still believe in Olympus, so I invest in even more lenses because now I am sure I am waiting for the new pro body. So, hang on, learn the camera, learn photography and you will make ppl envy you for your work which is the results of your efforts, abilities AND your gear.

agree with oly...definitely...knowing and making full use of your camera's capabilities will get you better photos than if you had a damn good camera and no clue how to make the best out of it :sweat:

Yo man! I am oso thinking of getting some formal training. Came across SLCC n Knowledge Bowl? how is SLCC better than knowledge bowl?

Hi,

I definitely think attending ANY (or at least most) courses is good. Anyway, there is actually a whole lot of free courses if you are ready to read. Here is a link to two of them. In the thread you will find the links.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=287342

BTW, why do you say "STOP laughing. :cry: " in your signature? E-500 and the kit lenses are nothing to laugh about, only people who have no idea about what that camera can do laugh. There are functions that other ppl only dream about (normally they say they don't need it) if they have a cheaper dSLR. So far, the E-500 is only beaten by the E-510 IMO and that is not something to be ashamed of. I have the E-500, started with the kit lenses and not really regretted anything yet. As a matter of fact, I recently realized that I still believe in Olympus, so I invest in even more lenses because now I am sure I am waiting for the new pro body. So, hang on, learn the camera, learn photography and you will make ppl envy you for your work which is the results of your efforts, abilities AND your gear.

Thanks for the great encouragement. :) I actually learn better when someone is teaching. :D So was thinking on attending a course.

(Signature better? ;) )

There are many courses all over in Singapore.

Some are organised by "ancient" photographic societies, some organised by private organisations like Objectifs, Knowledge Bowl, SLCC, Nature @ Work etc, some organised by private individual.

I used to be a member of PSS (Photographic Society of Singapore), SCPS and Photoart Association.

I was taught by my guru Steven Yee whom is now operating Knowledge Bowl (KB) and teaching the courses there. I have also attended some courses at other places.

So far, personally, I feel a beginner will learn a lot from Steven Yee. Though he is young, he has a string of credentials and according to his website he has todate more than 2000 students in his past 7 years of track record in coaching. His candid approach made me attend his other courses as well. His popular advance classes include the Art of Seeing which he now renamed as DSLR Photography Course (Advance Level) - Creative Photography.

For Nature photography, I learnt a lot from Raymond Chua. But the place where he teaches is really way out of place for me, far away in the West.

Hence, for a beginner, there are a few ways to decide which courses to take:
(1) Duration (are 4 lessons enough to learn Basic Photography?) KB at least is more realistic with 9 lessons at S$200 compared with SLCC 4 lessons at S$210.
(2) Instructors (KB has Steven Yee who no doubt has advantage in terms of experience in coaching and track record in number of students taught compared to SLCC)
(3) Location, both are at Middle Road area but KB is located in Fortune Centre with car park and close to the main road bus stop.
(4) Course syllabus: which course has a better structure to enable the beginner to be grounded well in the basics as well as the workflow?

Well, I am glad that my guru Steven Yee whom I still keep in touch with today, create syllabus and provide locations that fulfil the above criteria,

and of course Raymond Chua (but minus the location)

I used to take up the Basic Photography Course at PSS, but I find it a bit too draggy though it is really cheap at S$144 for 12 lessons (but must pay S$80 for 2 yrs membership). It can be a bit anti climax at one point when Edward and Steven complete their Module 1, 2 and 3 and the rest of the instructors are not on par with Edward and Steven when it comes to presentation skills. Class size also a bit too huge, My batch got about 27 students. Reminds me of those Secondary school days.

Hope the above info is helpful. Ta Ta ;)

Thanks a lot a lot! Now to hear from someone who attended SLCC courses. Hehe. :)

Thanks for the great encouragement. :) I actually learn better when someone is teaching. :D So was thinking on attending a course.

(Signature better? ;) )
You are welcome. I agree, I also prefer a real life teacher who also can be asked or discussed with.

I'm also looking to join one of the basic course. Still quite confuse after half a month using manual mode :embrass: .
Looking at Knowledge Bowl course outline and it seems not bad ;p

I attended Basic Digital Photo class at PSS taught by Steven and Edwards. I also attended Flash photography by Stanley of SLCC. Here's my opinion:

KB (now run by Steven and Edwards) - Both are experienced photographer and there are lots of theory in the class, but I felt there is not enough practical (not sure if they have change the content now). Both are Nikon users and they are biased towards Nikon and claiming not familiar with other system. Also, during the class Steven was advetising and pushing hard for students to sign up his Art of Seeing class.

SLCC (Run by Stanley) - Stanley is also a very experienced, self-taught photographer. He is quite funny but the way he run the course is not too professional. Courses are not started on time and often end at 45 minutes passed the original time. However, Stanley emphasis more on practical aspect of photography and he is quite familiar will all system and at least does not give me a sense of bias towards camera system.

Above are just my personal opinion after going through these 3 instuctors.

Cheers

I went to Knowledge Bowl's office yesterday to seek out the place as well as find out more about the courses. Actually, Knowledge Bowl is run by Steven Yee. Edward is one of the instructors. Anyway, the place looks conducive. I've signed up for the DSLR digital course...yes... after asking around some of my friends taught by them. 8)

I'm also looking for a baisc course..After reading through these comments, I intend to go for SLCC but after looking at the course detail, the lesson is actually teach by Li JingSheng or Wong Weiliang. Any comments on these instructors?
Thanks.

I have previously compared the syllabus in the earlier days when I first started.

Value for money wise, 9 lessons (2 outdoor practical lessons and 2 practical photoshop indoor lessons) at KB compared with 4 lessons (2 outdoor practical lessons) at SLCC for a basic class beginner. Viability wise, to learn basic photography in 4 lessons? PSS has 12 lessons but it is really like a marathon and we can see people get lesser after the 8th lessons. I gave myself a clap when I finally ended my last session.

It is important to be well grounded fundamentally which is something our guru always tells us, and equate that with practical sessions. This is why the KB basic course got day and night outing. That is also why he came up with the Art of Seeing in PSS which is 90% practical sessions outdoor. This should clarify why he pushed hard for people to attend his Art of seeing workshop in those days, which he has now renamed "DSLR Photography Course (Advance Level) at KB. It is sure a very popular class, but a lot of hard work for the instructor as the returns is not high compared to the other courses at PSS. I think his passion in photography is running in his blood to do it.

I have looked at his KB syllabus and anyone with a sense of judgement can see the logical flow from beginner to the next level.

Rome is not built in a day. A sword made too fast is brittle. Heehee, actually I copied this quote from him. He is another whizkid for strategic management.

Technical knowledge, Steven is not any worst as he is Engineering trained. His analysis of the market trend is superb especially he did a research on the market for his MBA thesis. My gang volunteered to do the interview for his research.

He owns a Canon DSLR, an Olympus DSLR, Nikon DSLRs and Fujifilm DSLR. He is not really that biased anyway. But I am sure there is a reason why Nikon DSLRs sells better than the rest while Canon Digital campact camera sells better.

My gang actually came up with an analogy.

SLCC is like instant noodles (1 minute to get the noodles cooked with boiling water).
KB is like Wanton mee in foodcourt (3 minutes to get the noodles well cooked).
PSS is like Wanton mee in the old coffeeshop (5 minutes to get the noodles well cooked as the uncle is a bit older and action a bit not as fast as in the young days)

This is the art of positioning. I really learnt a lot from him.
;)

I will be attending the beginner's dslr class in KB soon, will post feedback once i have attended it.

I will be attending the beginner's dslr class in KB soon, will post feedback once i have attended it.

Would appreciate your feedback as I am considering it too! :)

Hello Silverarrow, i see you in the class. Coming Monday night, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.