Photography courses in Singapore

2.8photography

Jul 19, 2007
Hi :)

I was thinking of organising a photography course for the members in my school's photographic society, but I'm not sure what would be good.

We're thinking of something that's not too basic (like exposure and simple composition), and not too specific (like only landscape photography) unless it's wildlife/event photog. A more hands-on workshop/course would be better.

We tried to look at some websites but many courses cost around $300 which too high for us. We have $400 to spend and hope to use it to subsidise the course fees substantially. We'll be sending about 8-10 members and the course can be anywhere from 14-21 Nov (a 2-3 day course is preferable).

Any suggestions? Or is $400 for 8-10 people too little (perhaps they can pay half)

Thanks!:D

Last edited:

I was thinking of organising a photography course for the members in my school's photographic society, but I'm not sure what would be good.

We're thinking of something that's not too basic (like exposure and simple composition), and not too specific (like only landscape photography) unless it's wildlife/event photog. A more hands-on workshop/course would be better.

We tried to look at some websites but many courses cost around $300 which too high for us. We have $400 to spend and hope to use it to subsidise the course fees substantially. We'll be sending about 8-10 members and the course can be anywhere from 14-21 Nov (a 2-3 day course is preferable).

Any suggestions? Or is $400 for 8-10 people too little (perhaps they can pay half)

$400 for 10 people divide by 3 days of X hours = ???. sorry i don't have a calculator.

hmm i guess it's quite far fetched. perhaps we can send at most 4-5 members for a one day course?

or are there professionals who are willing to conduct workshops at schools (for about 10 people)

hmm i guess it's quite far fetched. perhaps we can send at most 4-5 members for a one day course?

or are there professionals who are willing to conduct workshops at schools (for about 10 people)

How about inviting seniors from the club or perhaps those who have graduated to come back and do a course? I'm sure some of them should be very capable of explaining the basics. You will save on the course fees this way.

What material/subject covered, you really need to decide and scope it yourself. You cannot leave it to the trainers. With the scope in mind, then the trainers can tell you how many hours will be suitable. For a $400 budget, I can tell you honestly you will not get anything more than a 3-4 hours in a single session.

If you want to bring in a trainer, class size is not big a deal, at least not to me. Speaking for myself, I will not care how many students will be in the environment. Since the more people there are, the less interaction and hands on coaching each student will get. In the end, it is the number of hours you need. And it comes down to the per hour rate for these trainers.

And in terms of paperwork, I think you have to run it by your school's teacher in charge to get the process down. If you want to do it through the school, you need to get it done through GeBiz. If you want to do it cash basis, it is also doable, but you need to make sure you get everything done correctly, with proper invoice issued by a registered business entity.

Last edited:
edit. check with your teacher and fellow club members what is the amount they can afford and do your research and let them know the current courses available and the prices.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice and link. yep I've checked the PSS website out. actually someones given me a link to objectifs and there's a 60% subsidy from the gvt so we'll probably be using that.

thanks again!