Photography courses for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
I learnt the basics through books, but I guess having someone teach photography face to face may be different, especially combined with an outdoor shoot and constructive criticism. One area which I'm weak in is spot metering, its difficult to get right. The other area which I know nothing about is flash photography (becos I always shoot without flash).

So any photography courses to recommend? Browsing through clubsnap I came across SLCC's course, is it any good? I was afraid it might be too basic. There's also a course called "The Art of Seeing" given by the Photographic Society of Singapore. Anyone did that before?

I would like to join one if there's any..Am beginner myself and would like to know all there is to knw...Keep me updated yeah?

Cheers!

Or can check this out too. But corse fees do apply. :bsmilie:

go for free one first la..

den pay for advance one.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

make new friends la ! hahaha.

Anyone been to Objectifs or The Photographic Society of Singapore for lesson?
Any comments coz torn between the 2 of them... :dunno:

Anyone been to Objectifs or The Photographic Society of Singapore for lesson?
Any comments coz torn between the 2 of them... :dunno:

I had signed up with PSS and like their style. Theory 1st, then comes the practical shoot, may it be indoors or out. Small group so that there would be ample attention from lecturer to student. :D

How big is the classes? Anyway, i believe it is the more of the lecturer's ability to make the lesson more interesting & insightful for the newbies.

May I know what is the difference between these 2 courses by PSS?

Digital Compact Camera Basic Photography
Digital Basic Photography(Eng)

How bout learning through trial and error?
You learn better by making mistakes...a course wont necessarily help much.In fact, it sometimes might cause you to go rigid when you learn about stuffs like what aperture to set for what scenario and that kinda stuff....so its gonna be pretty standard for you...

FOr me personally, my advice would be to go and try it out yourself.Make mistakes and learn from em.

How big is the classes? Anyway, i believe it is the more of the lecturer's ability to make the lesson more interesting & insightful for the newbies.

They're normally not more than 10 per class. Mine had only 6. ;)

My experience with PSS has been nothing but excellent. I recommend taking their Beginner's class and the "Art of Seeing" classes. I found them most helpful.

What does Arts of seeing includes?

why dun give SLCC one a try, they also teach flash.

I went for it before, can take nice picture on my own after learning.

Went for NAFA's Certificate of Basic Photography during July last year, it ended in December.
http://www.nafa.edu.sg/in_courses/parttime/2007/sva/basicphoto.htm
What they taught -
B&W Film development
Basic photography technique (Shutter speed/Aperture)
Studio Photography
Photomanipulation & Touching Up.

SGD1,200 for a 20-week course, 3 hrs per lesson, 2 lessons a week.

This course is really for those super super beginners who doesn't even know about shutter speed & aperture. But of course, it will help fine tune whatever rudimentary information you've gleaned unofficially from places like clubsnap or other photography communities. The main highlight for me was Studio Photography as it was a pretty enlightening class. Really piqued my interest in Studio photography and it helped that the lecturer knew what he was teaching.

My experience with PSS has been nothing but excellent. I recommend taking their Beginner's class and the "Art of Seeing" classes. I found them most helpful.
Going to take up the course in June... thanks

May I know what is the difference between these 2 courses by PSS?

Digital Compact Camera Basic Photography
Digital Basic Photography(Eng)

This is the course outline for Digital Compact Camera Basic Photography.
This is the course outline for Digital Basic Photography.

The course for Digital Basic is structure more to dSLR users while the other one is on Compact or Prosumer cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.