Photography course on SLR for beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

artleong

Oct 6, 2007
Hi Guys,

Me trying to begin my photography journey by attending a photography course. Wonder if anyone has any good recommendation? The course should be held on weekdays evenings or weekends, it should at least cover topics like aperture priority, shutter priority, depth of field and composition etc.

My budget is about $300++.:)

Try Photographic society of Spore. Cost is around $280.

if u sign up as member, u get half price. ;)

Yes, indeed. But I think have to continue to pay subscription there after.

Last time attended their course, they advertised that class size is 20 max, but it turned out to be 30+. Rather small place to cramp so many inside.
Course was alright but they don't give much notes so be prepared to jot down stuff.
I enjoyed the two outings with instructor though.

Yes, indeed. But I think have to continue to pay subscription there after.

Last time attended their course, they advertised that class size is 20 max, but it turned out to be 30+. Rather small place to cramp so many inside.
Course was alright but they don't give much notes so be prepared to jot down stuff.
I enjoyed the two outings with instructor though.

no nd to continue paying ah, their membership is 2 years so faster take all their course within tat time lor.

If you bought a Sony camera, join the free workshops and courses.

Since day one when i started in photography, i haven paid a single cent in courses. Participate in free courses when you buy your cam, join forums and discussion and ask when in doubt, join gatherings and shoots and learn from the experts.... and you are good!

Since day one when i started in photography, i haven paid a single cent in courses. Participate in free courses when you buy your cam, join forums and discussion and ask when in doubt, join gatherings and shoots and learn from the experts.... and you are good!

Agreed! Learning thru going out with other experts is way to go. Classroom teaches you almost nothing. Doubt I remember 30% of it. I think I learnt more in the two outings as we have hand's on.

Try the Foundation Photography course at BRADDELL HEIGHTS CC by Mr Francis Lee.
( I think he also conduct lesson at other CC ).

Quality courses does not necessary come expensive.

He is a good instructor with lots of experience, very resonable course fee.
I have attended his lesson in 2005 and benefit alot from the lesson.

He put quite a lot of emphasis on composition, and developing an eye for good composition, which I think is the most valuable part of the course.
He actually demostrated a lot of techniques with his own photos, and cover photo critics session with cropping techniques which I benefit alot from there.

Basics such as Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO, Depth of field, and how the parameters such as focal length, aperture and camera to subject distance affect the DOF etc are also covered. ( These basics, I personally feel that you can pick up easily once you started to shoot. )

Try the link :
http://one.pa.gov.sg/CRMSPortal/CRM...geLabel=CRMSPortal_page_1&IdProdInst=11286855

or the PA website www.pa.gov.sg , check courses under Art & Lifestyle.

Disclaimer :
I do not receive any commision by recommending his course. :bsmilie:

Try the Foundation Photography course at BRADDELL HEIGHTS CC by Mr Francis Lee.
( I think he also conduct lesson at other CC ).

Quality courses does not necessary come expensive.

He is a good instructor with lots of experience, very resonable course fee.
I have attended his lesson in 2005 and benefit alot from the lesson.

He put quite a lot of emphasis on composition, and developing an eye for good composition, which I think is the most valuable part of the course.
He actually demostrated a lot of techniques with his own photos, and cover photo critics session with cropping techniques which I benefit alot from there.

Basics such as Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO, Depth of field, and how the parameters such as focal length, aperture and camera to subject distance affect the DOF etc are also covered. ( These basics, I personally feel that you can pick up easily once you started to shoot. )

Try the link :
http://one.pa.gov.sg/CRMSPortal/CRM...geLabel=CRMSPortal_page_1&IdProdInst=11286855

or the PA website www.pa.gov.sg , check courses under Art & Lifestyle.

Disclaimer :
I do not receive any commision by recommending his course. :bsmilie:

Thanks. 10 session of 1.5 hrs only $120 plus two outdoor sessions.
Any idea what are the 10 sessions focussed on?

Thanks. 10 session of 1.5 hrs only $120 plus two outdoor sessions.
Any idea what are the 10 sessions focussed on?

Can't remember the exact details, I attended the class 2 years ago.
This is what I recall from my memory, roughly as follows :

Lession 1 and 2 will be on the basic of camera : Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO , Depth of field, and the relations between these parameters etc.

Lesson 3 he will cover on what is good compositions.
Illustration with his own photos of what elements contribute a good photo, and emphasis on
move your subject off the dead centre, rule of third etc.

Then come the practical session followed by a session of photo critics.
He will demostrate how to crop your photo to bring out the best of it.

Then there is a session that cover LIGHT.
How the direction and quality of light affect your photo, and how to take advantage of good light etc.

Then another practical session and a session of critics.

Another lessons he will demonstrate how to fine tune the contrast of your photo, with the tools just as curve in the photoshop etc.

Last session will be conclusion and Q&A. Be prepared to have a open mind and don't be afraid to ask stupid question, you will benefit from it.

Hi Guys,

Me trying to begin my photography journey by attending a photography course. Wonder if anyone has any good recommendation? The course should be held on weekdays evenings or weekends, it should at least cover topics like aperture priority, shutter priority, depth of field and composition etc.

My budget is about $300++.:)

Emm do you drive?

If you do, I can teach you for free. Provided you drive me home and to any shooting sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.